Richard Goodwin

2014 FFH Issue thread: MFT, Sync, add your own!

Sounds more like a buggy module than an issue with Sync. A bad module can cause all the problems you have.

He is referring to the phone. Droid software 4.3 appears to be stable with Sync. ALthough from what you have described, it isnt the phone its the module.

I do believe the Fob works based off RFID, the car sends out a signal looking for the chip in the Fob when you touch the door handle. It could be the phone is blocking the signal. There are sensors in the doors, trunk and center console that do this. The one in the console is right in front of that slot you put the key in when setting up MyKey or the battery fails in the Fob.

1) They "updated and recalibrated the PCM", and said they were getting 47MPG going north on the local highway, "while hooked up to the IDS". Going south into the wind was registering 38. Given that I can barely get 38 registered in general, maybe this is a big improvement. (Other than single Trip meters if I glide from destination to destination and get 38-40MPG over a couple of miles.) He had said there was a PCM update so I am inclined to believe there was one; I just don't know how to actually tell, versus just doing a reset on things. Are there versioning records somewhere? (The etis site seems to be down but will keep trying.)

I assume they did the 13B07 PCM recalibration, which was released in August -- on my hybrid and for I think everyone else that got theirs done, two ways to check it was done. On Etis did it show up as an outstanding field service action? When my car was done it took about 7 days for it to disappear from Etis and made me think that the dealer didn't register its accomplishment properly, but I guess it takes time.

1 - Can you go over 65 MPH in EV without the ICE coming on? You might not be able to get it to come on on flat road as the system may sense that the ICE is needed, but check on a downhill and see.

2 - There was a number on the lifetime summary that was reset to zero, I think it was the lifetime EV miles, IIRC.

There is already a lengthy thread on the 13B07 elsewhere here on the forum, it's not a miracle cure but I think most owners found it helped by 5-10%, and as always YMMV.

Edited by jeff_h

The 2014's (to my understanding) would have already had that particular PCM update applied from the factory, so I'm hopeful that this is a new new one ;) Nothing on Etis except the HD Radio recalibration, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I didn't realize you were talking about a 2014 model, would have been easier if maybe the thread was titled that way. Oh wait... (guess I get a "here's your sign")

Edited by jeff_h

Starting this thread so people can list specific issues with their 2014's. Generally I'd keep away from MPG issues, which have been talked to death. Rather, I wanted to post about Sync, MFT, general build/mechanical, etc. Here's my running list, please feel free to agree/disagree/add to the thread! Some are gripes, many are actual issues. For the record, I have an iPhone 5S when referencing BT issues.

1. Keyless entry (touching the handle) works about 50% of the time. Generally give up and just use the keyfob.

1. Poor design of steering wheel controls. This may be a gripe vs issue, but seriously why put the music controls on the same side as the hand that already is close to the console controls? They hardly ever end up getting used

For the Keyless Entry I had major issues with this on my 2013 Ford Escape. On my 2014 FFH its like 100% better. Only have had issues 1 time (knock on wood)

For the Steering Wheel Design, see the thread I posted comparing the wheel in the Fusion, Escape and C-MAX on the Electrical, Gauges, Instruments, Lighting, Rear View Mirror page, the Fusion by far has the best layout.

One item I didn't see listed that drives me crazy is the front sensor beeping randomly going off. I could be stopped at a stop light and randomly it starts beeping for a second or two and displays on the dash. Though i had this issue on my Escape too.

Edited by Howie411

Front sensors are too sensitive, happened a lot on the one I had before with the APA. Thankfully my Flex doesn't use them.