Jay Dee

New Hybrid!

I believe the Ford plan is called the ESP, there are others out there though I don't think they also use that same acronym. When I bought the hybrid the guy in the finance office offered two different plans, one was the Ford ESP and the other was a Third Party one that I *think* (IIRC) was called EasyCare. I declined both and purchased online from Flood.

The dealer our black FFH came from pushed the EasyCare hard. The dealer who sold us the white one didn't even try to sell us ESP. The finance guy asked if we wanted to see pricing. I said, "No thanks". And he moved on. I think from some of our previous conversations he knew that he couldn't con me into buying one so he didn't even both to print out pricing for me.

I always ask for pricing, so I can post the "special deal" that they pitched to me here on the forum and pass info to others. On the past Ford purchases the "special deal" after knocking off a few hundred bucks was about 50-80% higher than I bought from Flood. But that was less than when I had the P-p-p-prius (for you, Acdii) and their "special deal" was $300 off and only $1,695 for me, I knew about another source from the P-p-p-prius forum and bought it from a dealer in KS for $785, so the friendly Toyota dealer was over a 100% markup from where I bought it. So for those lurkers about to cut your best deal and take delivery, sure you can just roll the cost of the Extended Warranty into the financing but you may end up paying a bit more for that convenience.

My question is, of the 4 ESP plans* available, which do you consider the best buy? There are many service differences, deductibles and prices.

This is also important when your State uses the CARB extended hybrid powertrain warranty.

In addition, the ESP plan price increases after the car has acquired over 12,000 miles. In my case, Flood's price went up over $200.

*(Premium, Extra, Base and Powertrain)

I suppose everyone has their preferences over what they think are worth spending the money on, pricing according to one's tolerance for risk. Personally, I always get the PremiumCare option that covers the most things, as if I'm gonna plunk down the money I don't want a service advisor and Ford warranty quibbling over whether they think an item is covered - so I want the best chance of everything to be covered. But again, maybe others just want to protect the biggest ticket items like power train and let the rest go and save the money, to each his/her own.

Edited by jeff_h

With all the electronics on this car, the only plan I even considered was the Premium. I still haven't pulled the trigger, but when I checked tonight the prices for over 12,000 miles appear to be the same under the premium plan.

I don't know that there's a price increase after 12k miles, don't remember seeing that one... however do a check with price quote of delivery date of under a year and over a year, difference should be $100, at least it was when I last checked.

I have had 3 of them, two paid off BIG, third one, I hope never has to pay off, but glad to have it if I need it(its for the HyTi to 125K miles). The first one I paid $1800 for, the repairs it covered exceeded $3000. The second one I never used, but I had bought it for $1900(What did I know then) for the Prius, then found I could buy it online for $800, called to cancel, they sent me a refund of $1200 instead(First good deal), then when I traded the car in, and canceled, I got another $1500 back. For the first(and last) time ever I made a lot of money on a car. My trade was $1000 more than I owed on the car(when does that ever happen after 10 months!), so I made out all around, we had a good christmas that year!