acdii

I "REALLY" hate cold weather, What to expect in MPG.

Here is a great example of how cold affects this car. Temps this morning were -21 to -9 from my house to work. I dropped my wife off a little closer to her office by going through the entire parking lot so the miles aren't identical, but both are the exact same trip.

1781036_667716746603796_996405805_o.jpg

This was from a warmer day roughly 30*-40*.

1523361_657257920983012_662946323_o.jpg

This morning it would not go in to EV except when I was slowing to my second stop. What I noticed is the regen braking was very light, almost non-existent. After about 20 miles it finally started to EV, but for half what it normally would do. Keep in mind this is at 55 MPH and I have both grills covered too. This looks like the battery does not like being cold at all. My car was frosted inside, and there was ice in my Husky liners, and even driving 34 miles with the heat going at 74* I still had frosty windows.

So what I got from this, is, when really cold soaked at sub-zero temps, battery management is reduced to bare minimum, so there is less braking regen, and far less EV until the batteries warm up, and in some cases, they will never warm up enough to go full EV.

Makes it interesting for sure, my first turn is after 4 miles, and the car wasn't slowing down on regen, so POOF there goes the brake score! Even so this car is doing so much better than the first one considering how FrAkinG cold it is! I would hate to see how low that one would have been in this winter.

Interesting it wasn't as cold by me and I have mine in the garage so I'm sure that will help with the HVB temps but as long I don't turn on my climate the car goes into EV mode almost at the same spot as in warmer weather.

What could also help me is the fact that I'm driving thru the neighborhood at 25 MPH; 4 Stop signs and 2 turns where I need to slow down. Maybe that helps to get the HVB up to temp quicker.

Anyway I agree this car doesn't like the cold but she is a lady so not really surprising ;)

Btw I got 40.4 MPG this and I don't have my grill covered yet.

Did you want one? I have a spare sitting at home collecting dust, just needs the holes drilled to attach it.

Well it is that time of the year again folks, cold weather is coming, hit 29* this morning. So to ward off the OMG my mile tanked, time to revive this thread.

I did my baseline drives this week in 40* and under temps, today being the coldest. I had to discount yesterdays reading due to a heavy tailwind. 48 MPG is unrealistic, and quite rare to see around here when it is 38*. The return trip yesterday was 38 MPG going into the wind.

So on Tuesday, I saw 44 MPG or so, today about the same, so 29*-40* calling it about 43 MPG without grill covers. Going to be putting foam in the grill this weekend, and will see what it's like next week to see what MPG improvements are. The car has about a 2-2 1/2 mile warm up going 55MPH before it goes to EV mode where the blue box appears on Empower.

I stuffed my grill today with 1/2" pipe foam. Fitss in there pretty good, doesn't look as good as the grill cover did, but was quick and easy. (that and I dont know where I put the one I made)

I made 3 of them, gave one to HB, and one to CC, I took it off mine last spring, but dont remember where I put it to keep it "safe".

Cleaners came yesterday to clean the house windows. When we tilted up a dual reclining chair to get at the windows, there was my favorite Phillips screwdriver missing for several months. I told him I was glad to see him but he was upset that i had bought two new ones to replace him. I'll have to use him a lot for a while to sooth him. It's also amazing how long some potato chip crumbs stay crisp. i hope you find your cover soon.

Cleaners came yesterday to clean the house windows. When we tilted up a dual reclining chair to get at the windows, there was my favorite Phillips screwdriver missing for several months. I told him I was glad to see him but he was upset that i had bought two new ones to replace him. I'll have to use him a lot for a while to sooth him. It's also amazing how long some potato chip crumbs stay crisp. i hope you find your cover soon.

Nice

shot tea out my nose. Great post! :)

Well, this is exciting. Temp is 38* this morning, very little wind to affect readings. Heater and defrost on too. Grill packed with pipe foam.

1465905_811095792265890_8019721345694023

Trip home sucked

gas

The wind kicked up quite a bit and I drove head long into it, managed only 38 MPG.