acdii

I "REALLY" hate cold weather, What to expect in MPG.

Going to be -11 tonight. Not looking forward to tomorrows drive.

12 below this morning. It was so cold I saw witches lined up in front of the Thinsulate bra store.

My rear side windows never defrosted after dropping off the mouth breathers. Man can they ice up the windows. Even after a 10 minute warm up, the car still drove off in S1. That is how cold it is. I got out last night before it got too cold and stuffed pipe insulation into the lower grill. Too soon to tell if it made any difference yet, but my trip in got me 39.1, so not complaining. I am complaining that my wife had the car last and DIDN"T fill the tank! Grrrr. Now I have to pay more to fill the tank near work than at home.

What I have observed so far, fewer EV miles when its this cold, the batteries run down much faster, even after an hour of driving. They also charge slower. The car would do better if EV could be switched off at anything above 45 MPH when its this cold and let the ICE drive the car instead of charging and propelling. When I can keep SOC above 80%, I can see 40 MPG+ on the instant. When it gets below 70% then I see it drop to a hair above 20 until it gets it back to 80+. It would also keep the cabin warmer, the cooling system is too efficient in this car, with the heater on auto it will suck the heat right out of the ICE even while its running at 50 MPH, and this is with grill covers on! I find keeping the HVAC at Defroster/floor mixed with half or lower fan speed gives a good balance and doesn't pull too much heat from the ICE so it cycles less when going at EV speeds of 25 MPH.

If you HAVEN'T done the PCM update, you are wasting fuel. Part of the update involves the cooling system and how the ICE functions with it. Between this car and the previous one I can see a big difference in ICE operations in cold weather. The PCM update may have helped the other car.

I wonder if the Fusion actually has a conventional thermostat, or if it uses valving instead. It is amazing how one step up or down on the blower speed can make a difference in MPG too. I never use Auto mode during the winter, or the ice would rarely turn off.

Quite happy though with the MPG, better than the 2010 did in this weather, and very consistent, better than that other car did by a long shot too.

Edited by acdii

In theory. In reality though, there is too much bypass of the thermostat. If the ICE is cold after driving, then its thermostat is either opening too soon, or there is too much bypass in the system. A properly running cooling system will have cold hoses to the radiator and warm hoses to the heater core until the engine temp reaches the thermostat opening temp, then the radiator hoses will warm up. Until the engine actually reaches the full 210*+(GM used to run at 230*), the radiator hoses will never be hot.

This is what I am fairly certain caused the plugs to foul on that first car and why it NEVER ran right even in 70*+ weather. Like I said before, the cooling system is too efficient. Best way to find out if it has too much bypass is with a flow meter to the radiator.