MaineFusion

Seasonal Fuel Economy

The mpg will decrease 2 mpg for every 10º F. the temperature lowers.

The mpg will decrease 3 mpg for every 10 mph headwind.

The mpg will decrease for wet or contaminated roads.

Winter's a birch !

Edited by lolder

Winter's a birch !

Theory only. If that were true, my 2010 would have only been getting 28 MPG last winter when it was getting 34-36 and summer is 42 @ 70*. The winter was in the single digits for most of the season, at least 3 months were. That would have been a 14 MPG drop. The most it ever dropped was 6-8 MPG. When it was below 0* it would still get 34 MPG.

Now on the 13, we shall see. On rain soaked roads though, yeah Big hit on MPG in both cars, regardless of the temps.

Winter's a birch !

Yeah I would say this is about right, might have a bit of a curve to it (which is what I think acdii was getting at) so 2 mpg for every 10º for the first 30º, and then another 1 mpg for every 10º after that.. everyone's is different YMMV case, but newbies who are getting really good MPG, well that will change --- but will get back to where you are now when Spring rolls around.

My observations are from about 40º F to 95º F. I think below 40 it flattens out to the mpg that a non hybrid of the same power and weight would get boosted a little by city regen braking and the ~10% better Atkinson efficiency.

My observations are from about 40º F to 95º F. I think below 40 it flattens out to the mpg that a non hybrid of the same power and weight would get boosted a little by city regen braking and the ~10% better Atkinson efficiency.

Thanks for the clarification. :) The math wasn't adding up from my observations.

It was your results that made me know something wasn't right with the blue one, Considering your environment was much colder than mine, and you were doing better, Well that and the unexplained plug fouling. Ahh, but I has a much nicer one now, and making some covers for it this weekend too. Which reminds me, I need to get my bandsaw cleaned up and put a new band on it.

Id hate to see -20 or -30*f.. You wouldnt be able to run because it would burn the fuel quicker than you could put it in...

Oh I dont know, drove in -32* temps and didnt use any more than usual.

182459_181112151930927_1612883_n.jpg

So its finally getting "warm" in VA and honestly I am not noticing much difference in full economy, All throughout the winter I was between 37-40 each fill up. Now that its somewhat warm outside The 2 tanks I've gone through are only at about 39. As much as I hate to admit it my 2010 FFH seemed to a better job on gas mileage. could constantly get almost 50 and usually without trying. I can barely get 43+ with my 2014 FFH so far.