Eddie Sessum

Something nobody ever mentions.. tire pressure

A properly inflated tire will wear evenly across its tread. To find out just exactly where your tires inflation point is for this, its a simple procedure. Take sidewalk chalk and rub a good healthy stripe across the tread, then roll the car over that stripe twice. You will see where its worn off, Higher in the center, too much, higher on the sides, too little, just right all the way across.

I have done this with every car, and right now, 42 PSI on the HyTi is even all across.

The door sticker is the compromise settings, where the car will ride the best with low impact on FE. Higher tire pressures where you reduce the contact on the road, yet still maintain good traction, but affects ride quality is what they avoid by doing it this way. With radial tires, you have to REALLY overinflate them to get uneven wear. They are much more prone to uneven wear by underinflation, than overinflation. In fact if you have more than 2 people and luggage, its always a good idea to raise tire pressures a bit mainly so the added weight is better distributed across the tire tread.

On my 2010 I had 40K on those tires, set at 42 PSI year round, and they all wore evenly, traction started to suffer in the end, but that is quite normal when the tread depth is nearly down to the wear indicators. I run 42 on the HyTi Goodyears, and have not had any traction issues in the rain, and in the snow last year, they were probably the best tires I eve had on a car, which shocked the hell out of me. I had expected just the opposite. The ride is a bit stiffer, but I happen to like it that way, it improves handling, and gives me what I greatly missed in the 10, Sportiness!