Eddie Sessum

Why does our elec motor pull so much power?

The amount of energy used shown on the HVB gauge is not the full range of battery capacity. The normal range between H and L on the FFH is probably from 30% to 80%. The ICE was contributing to the energy required by generating electricity and propelling the car directly. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. I think the Tesla is a heavier car with a more powerfull electric motor and a HVB 40 times bigger. The energy used from the HVB's would be in the units kilowatt-hours and the amount used would be less in the FFH because the ICE always contributes when it is running and the Tesla is heavier. I don't think you can read the Kw-Hrs in the FFH.

To get an understanding of the electric motor efficiency you should compare the MPGe of the Tesla with the MPGe of a Fusion Energi. The FFE is more efficient than the Tesla. The Tesla is heavier and has a larger, more powerful electric motor. Just like how ICE cars with a larger ICE are less efficient than an ICE car with a smaller ICE in the same, lower load driving conditions the Tesla will be less efficient in most situations when compared with the Fusion Energi. The FFH electric motors appears to not be exactly the same as the FFE, but it's very close.

What do you think is different in the FFH from the FFE? I wondered if that might be the case until the software change bumped the EV speed to the same 86 mph. The size of all FFH motor/generators seem overly large in size and rating for the cars size. Electrical generators and motors ratings are very much affected by the temperature. Perhaps they just increased the cooling pump speed or electric cooling radiator size. If the mechanical integrety of the windings was less, they wouldn't have increased the EV speed which linearly increases the maximum MG 1 speed and puts much more centrifical force on the windings.

Edited by lolder

It's probably the size of the HVB and it's higher input and output rate in Kw. In the 2010 FFH, the maximum output of the MG1 in generator mode plus the maximum output of the HVB in Kw is less than the Kw rating of MG 2 in the motor mode so I think the MGs were somewhat oversized for the future. During max acceleration that is a condition that occurs when the ICE drives the wheels and generator which together with the HVB powers the motor. Ford brought the transmission manufacture back in house for the 2013 from Aisin in Japan. It looks very similar to the Aisin unit but they claim it is improved. I think it was probably sized from the start at Aisin for higher power HVBs. Electric motors have a factor which indicates how much more than rated power they can deliver and it can be twice the rated power in some motors. It's related to temperature rise so the cooling system may be the bigger factor.