alpha754293

My fuel economy master equation

The radio draws off the 12V battery, not the HVB, but the battery charger would show as a draw, so the real question is, how much does the charger draw when under minimal load?

Tip #1

Calibrate your speedometer/Odometer. There is a new pinned topic regarding this.

Tip #2

Calibrate your fuel fills. Also covered under the same topic.

Once you know how much gas it takes from the same pump after 3 fills, and know exactly the variance in your Odometer, then you can precisely calculate how much fuel you are actually using, and ignore the general purpose trip meters. They are there only to serve as a general guide to how the car is doing and are not accurate except in a general manner. Only precise instrumentation on the car will give you true results, and I dont think any of us want to hang $1000's in equipment on our cars just to find out how many actual MPG it gets.

Tip #3

Don't use MPG, but use gallons used instead. How many gallons of fuel did you consume this month in this car, that you would have used in your other car. Look at the bigger picture instead of the smaller one. Compare my Flex to the HyTi, Both go roughly the same distance on a tank, but the Flex holds nearly 5 more gallons of fuel. Go 1000 miles and see how many more gallons the one uses over the other, then you will get the bigger picture, wow it cost me XX more to drive this one vs the other one the same distance.