alpha754293

My fuel economy master equation

My foot can tell, even if my body and hearing cant. Noticeable vibration when ICE runs. My mom said she got a nice foot massage on our trip to MN.

Hmm maybe thats why the car is so relaxing, you get a gentle massage and dont even know it.

I just wanted to share some of my observations on how different loads affect my fuel milage on City and hwy. I did not record the SOC before each tip. But the data is pretty insightful (in my opinion). the number in brackets is ppl travelling total. no number = just driver.

F= Fan, R = Radio, D = Defrost etc see the key on some of the entries.

Questions welcome.

FFH13Loadeffects_zps24124421.png

This one shows how trip distance affects the mpg.

FFH13tripdistancestudy_zpsebb1d9ce.png

Edited by majorleeslow

Thanks for the feedback.

alpha754293 "Are the number of trips the number of times you've done that particular trip in order to give you the total?"

These are all random trips as needed (No order to the data) done by me (mainly), All types of driving conditions (dry weather, rain etc) different routes, distances, hills, highways, multiple people, different load conditions, different temps. Snow data with heater and heated seats "ON" to come soon :).

They are each and every trip that I have done since Mid August till date. The data is compiled from photographs of the "Trip summary" and a record of the time temp and load condition for that trip. I plan to keep doing this until I have a more stable average of each trips as the SOC does throw the number off by a lot on short trips as HB suggests.

alpha754293 "(The trick then is to find out the environmental conditions under which the hypothesis WOULD be true.)"

I do have temp data but its ranging from 58F to 100F which is still summer range and pretty flat line without any interesting trends. And yes keeping the same variables would definately give results quicker but in the long run the all the noise variables should average out.

And I believe the fan running on Low definately has a positive effect on mpg. Not sure why but it is very consistent in many readings (city mostly). May be the fan doubles up as battery cooler and/or tricks the system to turn off the environmental controls. Or may be its helping with the way air flows around the car at city speeds. I would surely love to know why. :headspin:

Edited by majorleeslow

Interesting data on the trip length. One additional factor in trip length calculations is starting and ending charge. On shorter trips you will get wild swings in trip MPG shown by the computer at the end because the variation in starting and ending charge gives you either extra energy that isn't accounted for in your gallons used (i.e. ending with a lower SOC) or penalizes you for gas burned when that energy wasn't used during the trip (i.e. ending with a higher SOC).

Either way, very interesting! Thanks! :stats:

Thanks for the feedback

Sure the Start/End SOC would be a factor in the MPG. However due to the "Bar" (analog/subjective) nature on the dash I decided to wait to see trends with the ones I could put my finger on with certainty.

Think of it this way - how many miles can I drive with a full SOC gage? mmm may be 0.5 mile (may be more - I have some hills which prevent more). and my usual trips are atleast 5 miles long. which could be <10% of noise due to SOC. But theres no way to tell for sure if its at 25% or 75%, it would be based on my judgement at the time. And if I drive the same trip more then once at random occasions the actual number would be apparent after a while as it averages out.

For me the bigger thing was to know how the general behaviour of the car is in certain specific conditions. As in what not to do and what to expect if you do certain things. So now I have a general idea of load effects. Next stage would be to tap into the brain of the car (ScangageII). :rockon:

Edited by majorleeslow

I believe AC takes under 2Kw. but Even 1 kw could offset the SOC during non driving time when it's sitting in the lot under the sun.

My A/C takes 5 kW when starting out in a hot car.

5 KW wow!- I usually just keep it at Ext temp (-) 5 Deg (thanks to the FFH Forum tips). And then crank it lower as the interior cools down further which keeps the energy consumption lower and mpg's higher. I haven't noticed more than 2Kw consumption so far. Granted we didn't see more than 100F temps this summer.

Just thinking in terms of energy needed to propel forward once at speed for 50mph is around 1-1.5Kw.

5KW on the engine consumption scale is the end of red line on Empower (or in the yellow area in our case).

Why would Ford design a car that does that?

You are very welcome.

The reason why I asked if it was the same trips to the same places over and over again (for reliability and repeatability reasons). But if they're random trips under those operating conditions (whereby you use what you use as necessary); then it's definitely interesting.

Re: SOC - yeah...unless you have a plugin hybrid, it's going to be harder to control that. What I would suggest is to find out what's the greatest variability you would see as a function of SOC, and then knowing that, you would be able to add error bars on your mpg to account for variations in SOC. If I had to do it, that's probably how I would do it.

re: fan

I'll have to do more testing with that. I might be able to ask around in our thermal and aero engineering groups here at my building for some additional insights; and maybe be able to get some feedback on that, but if what you're seeing is that it's helping you increase your fuel economy; by all means, why the heck not? :o)

I might have to play with that a bit as well.

Yes on random trips without temp, traffic conditions and SOC data. Which tells me that the loads have a much larger effect than I anticipated. I found it very interesting and hence had the urge to share with the rest of the FFH gang. It would be nice if Myford shows the SOC in terms of Watt hours number instead of a batt gage.

To HB's point I've plan to note down the SOC using a scangage (hopefully this holiday season) and will share how much effect that has when there's enough.

Do share if you can on what your Aero/Thermo experts inform it should be interesting. May be over the weekend I'll try to find where the fan vent goes through.