jsamp

Consumer Reports articles

Posting these because they include the Fusion Hybrid in them:

While the accuracy of Consumer Reports is questionable, in the mpg gap article they do an "across the board" comparison of different manufacturers and come to the same conclusion that everyone falls short of the EPA MPG estimates. This indicates that it is not a hybrid issue nor a Ford issue, but rather a testing issue.

The speed vs fuel economy article is interesting in how large the % decrease in efficiency is. That is probably a large part of the issue with those claiming the Fusion Hybrid falls so far short of the EPA 47mpg combined number.

That or they just need to hire drivers who can drive sensibly and actually get EPA numbers. After all, the 2010 FFH was only rated at 36 Highway, yet I easily exceeded its city rating of 41 on the highway, nothing special either, I just drove at the speed limit, and it happens.

People in general are just impulsive drivers who rarely observe traffic conditions around them. When in heavy traffic, watch the car weaving in and out and racing off the start. You'll be amazed how often after quite some distance they haven't gotten very far ahead. All they've done is wear their brake pads and burned extra gas.

When I was in training to drive tour buses they drilled into us to look several traffic lights ahead to see what traffic and traffic lights are doing and to plan for lane changes. With a tour bus full of passengers, this type of looking ahead was critical to the safe operation of the vehicle. With a car it just helps get better fuel economy by knowing when to be light on the gas peddle and when to prepare for stops.

I took CDL classes and earned my CDL through training, and this was also drilled into us during those classes. Never look directly in front of you, look several cars in front of them. What they do will become what the person in front of you does. Look ahead at lights, a long green, prepare to stop, pace yourself so that you dont have to come to a complete stop, saves on fuel. Interesting how things learned decades ago can be implemented driving a Hybrid.

Something here to think about.. How the HELL do we see ahead? If I have a old explorer in front of me i cant see shit now in front of them. Lol.. Just a fact there :P

If you can't see ahead, you are following too close. You also don't have to see ahead every second, but what you need to see is what is going on down the road in general.

This! If you cant see 2 cars ahead, back off.

When you know they're coming from far enough back you can make the necessary adjustments without it being obvious as to what you are doing.

A lot of people have a problem with the concept of planning ahead when driving and are reactionary drivers instead. This is probably a major contributing factor to why there are so many accidents and fatalities on our highways each year.

I was taught "All Good Kids Like Milk After Dinner":

• Aim high in steering
  • Get the big picture
  • Keep your eyes moving
  • Leave yourself an out
  • Make sure they see you
  • Allow extra distance (I think, don't remember for sure)
  • Drive in a manner in which you can control the outcome.

I recall something similar, but then that was 20 something years ago. In any case, everything on that list is spot on.