clummus

How long was YOUR break in period?

Looking back at my fill-ups (you can click someone's fuelly link and scroll down and see their fill-up history), I have had 29 and it looks like the first 5 tanks were of lower MPG, before things really shaped up. Of course I got my car in January so weather was a bigger factor back then... as it will be during really hot periods.

Based on past cars, the break in is multi staged, I really didnt hit really good numbers in any of them until I hit the 10K mark. They were consistent in that they got close to expected numbers, but were not at EPA from the very start, but within say 5%. Once they got past 10K miles then they really started to get easier to hit EPA, and after about 20K they exceeded EPA with ease. With this experience in hand, I amquite pleased seeing the numbers I get in the new one.

I also have been driving Hybrids since 2007, so at least 200K miles of Hybrid driving and getting some VERY good MPG numbers on the highways. When I first got the Prius I dont think I did more than 40 MPG in it for the first couple months until I got the hang of the Pulse and Glide and pedal moderation.

This New hybrid however is really a whole new breed with being able to EV up to 62 MPH, and maximizing the regen appear to be the KEY to good MPG. Jeff and hybridbear are the MPG gods here and have mastered the secrets of the new Fusion. part of it is their terrain, and part their attentiveness to their driving. They give great advice, and if you take it, you will be doing better than most who dont come here.

I myself do very well in the Hybrids, but still learning tricks to the new one, and my daily drive has a lot of terrain changes, Corncob can attest to that as he drove my route in his car one time and had a tough time getting what he normally gets.

So with all that noise being said, take break in period as a very small part of your overall MPG, majority of it is you. Learn that the brakes are your friend and treat them gently, the harder you use them the more energy you waste, so you want to think of it as slowing sooner, but gentler. There is the old adage about an egg on your gas pedal, now you have an egg perched on a pin and you dont want it to fall off, so imagine that egg on your dash about to fall off onto your lap and you are wearing some very expensive fancy clothes and use that to accelerate and brake.

I am constantly watching.the empower Gage and trying to keep it in ev mode by letting off the gas each time it goes out of ev mode, braking slowly etc. still only 30 mpg.kinda disappointed.

You may be trying too hard to use EV. If your pack levels are below 1/4 charge all the time, that would be a reason for the poor MPG. The ICE has to recharge the pack while propelling the car and the lower the pack charge, the harder the Ice needs to work. Braking smoothly and long on regen is the best return on the pack. As I mentioned before, depending on your speed, and distance, let the car try to manage the EV/ICE, just use light throttle to maintain speed, and when the pack reaches 60% or more, then slip it into EV, and when the ICE kicks back on, repeat. So far that seems to work the best for mine considering its mostly 55 MPH and hilly where I drive.

Use the coach screen too. Try to keep the top bar at or above 50%, and try to max out the middle one, and with practice( I have YET figured out this one) the bottom one will get up there too. If your middle bar is in the yellow, that right there is the main issue, you are not recovering enough energy back into the pack so the ICE has to do it.