mcalli27

The MPG problem... Solved? Read!

If 40+ MPG is your goal without worrying to much about how to drive both cars should make you happy. I was in the same boat at first I looked at the Passat TDI it's a nice big car, "simply" a Passst which I really like driving before. I used to have a TDI from 2000 and it was the hardest one to sell to date.

I'm already very certain the place will be taken by the FFH in a few years.

If it wouldn't be for the stunning looks and all the cool technology in the FFH I would be driving a Passat.

I think its almost a guarantee that if you go for the FFH you will get hooked on the MPG game as well realizing doing so you will arrive more relaxed at your destination and smile about great MPG returns when turning of the car.

I can PM you my current fuel stats and you will see I'm around 39 MPG with a big BUT because it includes 4000 miles pure interstate driving from Chicago to LA and back. Without this trip I would probably be working on an 43 MPG lifetime average.

EDIT: adjusted my lifetime MPG without the LA trip after some calculations I had expected 44 to 45 MPG.

That is about what I expect out of this one too, and getting it. 44 MPG is what I think this one will be getting after a few more K are on the clock. Since you know the roads I take, getting 44 is pretty darned good too!

The more miles on the trip, the longer it takes to recover. You can go 1000 miles on a reset one one screen and lifetime on the other, and the one will go up quickly while the long term goes up by 1. Pretty sad to see. I like that I can reset individual ones without mussing with long term ones, so I have at least 4 variables to work off of.

1st is the trip 1 which is from the day it left the plant. Currently around 43.1, something.

2nd is Trip 2, which is reset with each fill, currently 44.9

3rd is the AVG on the Empower screen, currently at 43.5

4th is Lifetime Summary, which is at 43.1

Not that far off of actual either of 42.5. I'll take a .6 variance.

When I use auto start with the AC on, it uses the ICE, but runs the air at less than the speed it could. When I get in and "start" the car prior to shifting into drive the AC picks up speed. I have no idea of how much electric power is needed, but has anyone noticed that if you really step on the accelerator and get both the ICE and EM to go the car can really take off?

More noticeable because I (we) are always trying to drive in a manner that saves gas. Some time I may try driving it hard, and see how much of a hit the mileage takes.

12 MPG, dont believe me, try it! :)

Wow, now this could be an eye opener. I just pulled the trigger on this FFH yesterday.. haven't taken delivery yet,,, but my whole reason for purchase was for MPG. My 10 year old Sonata gets 30 regularly but ONLY on these kind of trips that you described... (tank of gas on the highway). If the FFH can't do much better then I believe I will not be happy.

Driving 75-80 with AC on and 5 people and a full trunk, expect 35.5 or so. Drive 68 and expect 43. Lighten up the car and it will do even better. Enjoy it!

I found driving like a grandpa doesn't gain much. I accelerate it around 2 KW on empower for the most part and it does pretty good, but these cars do not like short trips! If I go to town I will be lucky to break 39, its 55MPH at the end of my driveway all the way to town. My trips to lunch, forgetaboutit, its uphill in any direction, but coming back, 50-60 MPG. Engine warmed and mostly EV at that point.

The only time I do accelerate slowly is if the speed limit is only 20-35, then I just start out on EV to about 15 and by then ICE kicks on and I get up to about 5 over and then let EV take over and just try to maintain speed.