fusionTX

Not So Happy MPG Talk

There are many components to the AC system besides the Evaporator, Condenser, and Compressor. There is an accumulator, and some valving that regulates fluid flow, since you only want to compress gas, not liquid, compressing liquid is a bad thing in AC.

The regulator will pass the gas but not the liquid R134a. So when demand is low, the volume of gas to compress is also low, so less draw is required on the compressor. When there is a high demand on the system the transfer of heat to the coolant turns it into gas, so the more heat it pulls out, by the fan forcing it past the coils at a high rate, the quicker it turns into gas, so the higher volume of gas the compressor has to pump, the more current is needed to pump it.

On a standard AC compressor bolted to an ICE, you dont notice the load as much, as the compressor will cycle on and off as the pressures rise and fall in the system. If you lisen to the AC in the FFH, the compressor is on constant, I have not heard it cycling when the cabin is at a constant temp, so it can only suggest that it varies pressures, as needed and doesn't cycle like the conventional one.

The AC compressor is a variable speed high voltage unit.

I wouldn't call this necessarily unhappy MPG I had a very similar round trip yesterday. 28.1 outbound 115 inbound @ 1.3 miles that's still an average of 45 MPG yours should in the same neiborhood.

This happens quite frequently with a short trip after the car has been off for a while. MPG is low on the first trip but the subsequent trips are really good. It all evens out :)