tombarker13ffh

I drove in the "real world" today...

Hey 41.9 at 70 is darned good! The 10 can do better at those speeds, but that is very close to it. If my replacement does that I will be very happy with it.

Yeah he got the extra batteries they took out of mine! :)

There is a learning curve as the systems adjust to each other, and can take several hundred miles, and has to be relearned every time the battery is disconnected for more than a few minutes. There is also a period of time as all the moving components loosen up as they are pretty tight from all the seals and everything, and that can take a few thousand miles to fully free up. For the engine itself, they are run up at the factory to seat the rings, but there is still a run in period of at least 500 miles until the rings are fully seated, and which is why it states in the manual to vary your speed during this time, you dont want the engine run at a constant speed and load during this time.

However after the first 1000 miles, all this is done, complete, fully broke in. The rest of the "break in" period is actually the tire wear. It can take 10K or more before the wear enough to roll smoothly. The more miles on the tires, the better the MPG will get. Proof of this is my 2010, it still has the original tires, and while they still have some tread left, they are due for replacement. However, look at the kind of MPG I am getting now, 47-48 MPG where last year I was getting 43. If I hang onto this car I will have to replace the tires, and I can say with high certainty that the MPG will drop. It will take at least another 10K for the MPG to improve after that.