dalesky

Reasons to buy a car

We tend to put up to 40K a year on a car and live out in the country where a reliable car is a must have. I made a few mistakes last year in doing a car dance, but corrected it (at a cost) with getting another Flex(which is much better than the first one), and this one I plan to keep a very long time as it fits our needs perfectly(and is getting much better gas mileage than I had expected).

I am at a tipping point now with my 2010 Fusion Hybrid. So far it has been a good car, only repairs done to it were caused by me hitting a curb on ice. However, with a snafu on an extended warranty, and the AC compressor sounding like its about to explode, plus it needing tires, has this damned dash squeak that I cant find and was supposedly fixed last time it was in, and that I found that I get a back ache from the car, discovered that by not driving it for two weeks, and the one time I did I had a hard time getting out of it, I am considering going to a HyTi, but only if the price is right.

Though my last FFH had issues, it does not deter me from taking a chance on another one, especially after seeing how well the majority here are doing in them, and also considering that I am getting 24 MPG in the Flex on this last tank, I know it wasn't my driving. Even if the new one gets what my current one gets in MPG I would be fine with that, if it exceeds it, even better, but I do know that it is a much more comfortable car to drive and sitting for 2 hours in a car it needs to be.

For me the #1 thing it must have is being a Hybrid, so that ruled out the vast majority of cars. Also based on past experiences with other cars, it narrows it down to basically the Fusion. I had an 09 TCH, left a bad impression, although had the 09 been as nice as the 13 is now, it would have been a different story, but after having 2 Fusions, a 2010 Sport which was great but sucked as much gas as the Flex does, it did not make for a good daily driver when you put on 500 miles a week. That was replaced with our current Fusion Hybrid which got OK MPG from the start, but improved to exceed its EPA and has so far been a very reliable car. Now the new Fusion is out, and with available options no other car in its price range can match, the styling, the handling, and most important the Comfort, its tops the list.

Now if I had 44K to spend, the car that tops it is an Avalon Hybrid. It may not have the styling cues of the Fusion, but it beats it in comfort, and drivability in that it is so quiet and smooth, virtually no road noise, and very easy to obtain 40 MPG in, considering the test drive was on a 22* day. And considering how Toyota is known for reliability, its a hard one to beat if you can afford it.

When I test drove one on a cold 22* day, both city and highway I manged to get 40.1 on it. In reality it is not much bigger than the Fusion inside, with both car seats in the back, there was just enough wiggle room for my wife, a little more than the Fusion, but right about the same as the Cmax. It just looks bigger on the outside.

However in retrospect, glad I didn't get one, its a grampa car.

My wife uses Squirrel a lot, but for other reasons (winkwink). :)

Dude, your old! LOL Just kidding. I'm 48 with a 6 and 8 YO. Also have an 18 YO son who graduates high school next week, so there is ALWAYS a chance of being a Grampa before too long.