ny2oc1996

Punishment Tax for Hybrid Owners

What about farm equipment? They should also pay their fair share, they use the roads too, and you should see some of the damaged done by their equipment. Gouges in the roadbed, edges busted up, shifting and uneven surfaces.

No new taxes until the current taxes are accounted for and used where they were supposed to be used in the first place is how I see it. They should ALL be fired!

My information so far is that the legislation is an increase across the board in the vehicle registratin fee of $30. The funds to be used for road work.

Across the board is better than singling out individual types. Ours went up here too, cost $103 to renew each car.

Exactly! If the goal of the tax is to improve roads and encourage less gas consumption then gas tax is the best tax. If it is to encourage less driving then a per mile tax is best. Gas tax seems to be the most fair since it encourages people to buy more fuel efficient vehicles AND drive less by encouraging people to reduce their gas consumption

That may sound reasonable except when it comes to commercial vehicles like plumbers, electricians, Fedex, etc that drive a lot of miles in the course of their everyday work. We've already seen some of these services put a "fuel surcharge" on their costs - having a mileage tax would probably prompt each of these types of business to place a "distance surcharge" as part of their price structure, which I don't think many would like.

only 6.5%? 7% and 8%+ on all else here. Chitcago is 10.5%! I bought a coffee, cost 1$ had 11 cent tax.

I dont mind paying tolls as long as traffic flows well and the roads are smooth and well cared for. When I drove from IL to PA, most of it was via the tollway and it was all smooth sailing. When the Toll money goes 100% towards the roadway, then I have 0 issues paying it. This is why I am 100% against any NEW taxes, PERIOD. When the taxes actually are put INTO the pool that is only used to maintain the roads, then its a non issue, but we are talking about the government who pisses money away and steals it from other funds.

They would think twice if it all came out of their pay.

Edited by acdii

It's a la carte travel, baby. When we got off, it was € 21 (about $25) for that 200 kilometers. You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for.

...where hybrids and conventional cars paid the same rate?

For that I really dont think it matters which type of car it is, although car and a truck should pay different rates based on their axle load. I dont look at that as a tax, but as a usage fee. Granted, I would not want to have to pay that every day just to go to work as it would be very expensive, but if traveling across country on Interstates, it would seem fair. At least in that case the fees are paid on the actual roads being used and not in a general coffer as a gas tax or mileage tax would be. Around here not only do we pay for the roads with the gas tax, but also our property taxes have road fees tacked on.