Osofast

Battery saver message

The commute to work is only 15 minutes. The current to the 12 V battery was near zero during the last five minutes. The SOC went from 82% to 85% during the commute. The resolution of the current measurement is only one amp, so I can’t measure fractions of an amp. I will need to continue to monitor the car to see how the SOC gets down to 55%. So far in the past day it is has mostly gone up, from 55% to 85%.

A few weeks ago Sunday, I recorded what the car was doing while charging the HVB. The car charged the HVB for about two hours. The SOC of the 12 V battery was 73% at the beginning and 76% at the end. The car maintained 14.5 Volts to the 12 V battery for four minutes. Then dropped the voltage to 13.3 Volts for the remainder of the time. During the first four minutes, the current dropped from 13 amps to 4 amps. The SOC rose from 73% to 74%. After the voltage drop, the current was less than an amp—the car doesn’t show fractions of an amp. The SOC rose to 76% by the end of the two hours. If the car wanted to aggressively increase the SOC of the 12 V battery, it should have maintained the 14.5 V to the 12 V battery the entire time. But it didn’t. I have no idea why yesterday it decided to aggressively increase the SOC from 72% to 85%, but three weeks ago Sunday, it only decided to go from 73% to 76%.

I am curious for those of you monitoring this are you using Torque? If so are you using a built in monitor or a custom PID, again if so what PID/math?

If you have an ELM 327 scanner and a PC, you can download FORScan to get all the available PID measurements. Go to forscan.org.

The latest version of Scan Gauge may also show them. I'm not sure if it is readily available yet. I saw a discussion regarding that at the MyFord Mobile web site recently.

Edited by larryh

Note that I have a Fusion Energi. The SOBDM module controls charging of both the High Voltage Battery and the 12 V battery when the car is plugged into the 120 V or 240 V charging station. It decides when and how much to charge each battery. I have it programmed to charge the car starting around 1:00 am when the electric rates are low. This an excerpt from the following document http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1303_HEV.pdf.

The SOBDM, also known as the Battery Charger Control Module (BCCM), is an air-cooled component that charges both the high voltage battery and the low voltage (12V) battery when the vehicle is not operating and plugged into a (110V or 220V) EVSE. The SOBDM is known as the on-board charger. Its primary function is to coordinate charging operations and convert AC to DC. The SOBDM incorporates an integrated module that communicates with other modules over the HS-CAN, and is located inside the high voltage battery pack electronics compartment.

Edited by larryh

I tried a simple experiment to verify what SOC is measuring. I plugged the car into the 240 V charger with the charger turned off and turned on the car. When I do this, the DC to DC converter is disabled and the entire 12 V power supply to run the car comes from the 12 V battery. The lights, radio, and other accessories in the car consumed 23 amps of power for about 25 minutes. The SOC dropped linearly from 81% to 51% (R^2 = 0.9976, where 1 is perfectly linear). The equation for SOC vs. time was:

y = -0.0211x + 80.695,

where y is SOC in percent and x is time in seconds. Interpolating (which probably is not accurate), if the SOC were 100%, it would take 100/.0211 = 4739 seconds or 1.32 hours to discharge the battery drawing a current of 23 amps. That means the capacity of the battery is 23*1.32 = 30.2 Ah. The rated battery capacity is 43 Ah. I don't know the actual procedure used to compute battery capacity.

At 51% SOC, the car no longer powers the power points after turning off the car. So it definitely recognizes that the 12 V battery is low and is trying to conserve energy.

I previously did this unintentionally. The car stopped working after 45 minutes. So extrapolating, the car is completely dead when the SOC is about 25%. I don't intend to repeat this experiment again to determine the actual value.

Edited by larryh

This morning, the car charged the HVB and the 12 V battery from 12:56 am to 2:44 am. The SOC of the 12 V reached 72% (it was at 51% last night after my experiment posted above). It then continued to charge the 12 V battery until 4:57 am. The final 12 V battery SOC was 73%--the SOC didn't increase very much during these last two hours. This time, the car provided 14.3 V for the 12 V battery the entire time. How many hours does it take to fully charge a 12 V battery? I will have to see what an external battery charger does. Since the car is plugged in all night every night, I don't see why the car shouldn't be able to maintain the 12 V battery at 100% SOC. It seems very strange that 2+ hours of charging each night can't maintain the 12 V battery at 100% SOC. Either the car is not measuring the SOC properly, the battery is not working as expected (although I have not had any problems with the battery), or the engineers don't think it is important to maintain the battery at 100% SOC.

I noticed about 5 minutes into my commute this morning the DC to DC converter changed the 12 V setpoint from 14.4 to 13.3 volts, even though the 12 V battery SOC was 73%.

Edited by larryh

I have an annual inspection coming up with the dealer soon. They check the battery as part of the inspection. People might find my observations useful.

Edited by larryh

I tried a simple experiment to verify what SOC is measuring. I plugged the car into the 240 V charger with the charger turned off and turned on the car. When I do this, the DC to DC converter is disabled and the entire 12 V power supply to run the car comes from the 12 V battery. The lights, radio, and other accessories in the car consumed 23 amps of power for about 25 minutes.

I previously did this unintentionally. The car stopped working after 45 minutes. So extrapolating, the car is completely dead when the SOC is about 25%. I don't intend to repeat this experiment again to determine the actual value.

Note the first time that I did this unintentionally, the voltage fell significantly more after 25 minutes than the other day. But that was when it was cold at the beginning of February. Both times, the voltage started out the same at 11.65 V. In February, the voltage dropped to 10.85 V after 25 minutes. This time, it fell to 11.3 V.

Edited by larryh

I also wonder how they are determining SOC for the 12 volt battery. Measuring the voltage under a known load would provide an estimate. Measuring the coulomb (look it up) flow into and out of the battery would be better.

It would be nice to know how they are determining the 12 V battery SOC and how accurate it is. I suspect they keep track of the amount of current flowing into and out of the battery. Obviously, the car tracks the 12 V battery current and voltage, or I wouldn't be reporting it. It also tracks the 12 V battery estimated temperature, age, and type. Finally, it has several counts that it maintains: Cumulative Battery Charge When Ignition Is On, Cumulative Discharge From Battery When Engine Is Off, Cumulative Discharge From Battery When Engine Is On, and Cumulative Discharge From Battery in Sleep Mode. I suspect this method requires a good model of how the battery works. Unfortunately, batteries don't always work as expected, and then the model would no longer accurately describe how the battery works and would yield incorrect results.

Edited by larryh