djminfll

WORST fill-up ever!

Today, I had the worst fill-up I've had since I first got my FFH :rant2:

Usually, I get in quite a bit of highway driving, especially because I work 31 miles from my house, and do most of that on the highway. I also have a sticker to allow me to use the carpool lane and the express lanes for free.

However, for the past 2 weeks, I have been "telecommuting", and will be doing so for the next 6-8 weeks while my office is undergoing renovations. So most of this fill-up has been numerous very short trips - under 2 miles each way, generally going to the supermarket, pharmacy, post office, etc. I only achieved 33.8mpg :banghead: , which is not only the worst I've ever gotten, but I believe it is the worst I have seen on this forum so far!

Short trips, thats all. Dont fret over it. I was doing that kind of crappy miles on 34 mile trips mostly hyper mileing at 55 MPH or lower. There are a couple other owners who also do short trips, and dont get better than 30 MPG.

Oh, that is something I noticed too, small fills can calculate out to some pretty strange numbers. When I drove to FL I had one tank come out to 28 while another came out to 48, and these were also at 1/2 tank mark fills. The fills were all over the place. It wasnt until I started filling at the 1/4 mark that there was any semblance of consistency.

EDIT: Click on the fuelly badge below and look at the log for December to see what I mean. The one with the blue Fusion.

Edited by acdii

Good luck, hope you get better service from Ford than I did, just remember, the service guys can only do so much, its the CSR you have to be wary of. Keeping my fingers crossed I have no issues with my Flex so I dont have to deal with "Sandy" again.

Just curious. Have those of you that have been getting bad mileage been getting it in warm weather too?

Yes! Hence my frustration over the car. On days that were mild, 50-60*, and down in Florida weather, the results were not much different than when it was 30* out. If the results were different and in the 40's as one would expect, then I could admit, OK, its the cold temps and not be concerned, just drive and wait until it warms up. Even with grill covers on, it didn't change much. My feet were much warmer though :)

When compared to the 2010, when it was above 20* I was getting better MPG in the 10 than the 13 did when it was 60*. Now that its been above 60* and near 80* I am seeing MPG above 45 in the 10. So, it was not my driving that did it. Like milleron said, it takes all the pleasure out of enjoying the new car when you are trying to get good MPG out of it, and it just wont do it.

You do have my deepest sympathies, Been there, Done that, have the scars to prove it too.

You are correct sir! The AC ICE leaves the intake valves open slightly at the beginning of the compression stroke so less force is required to get the piston around and up to TDC. So its a lower compression engine which in turn produces lower torque. By itself you would do better with a lawn mower engine.

I also found the one I had would do better at 35-40 MPH if I kept the pack at 50% and mixed EV/ICE while cruising. Doesnt work that way on the 10 though, as that car doesnt suck up power from the ICE as much to recharge as the 13 did. I still think Ford put too small an engine in.