fusionTX

What's the most gallons you've been able to put in at one fill-up?[

IIRC the fuel pump in the Vic was vertical too, so when really low half the pump was out of the fuel. So when it runs out of gas, the pump has been out of the fuel for quite a bit. It wont get hot enough to ignite, just enough so that the tolerances in the motor shrink and causes it to use more and more current until eventually the fuse pops, or in my case, because SOMEONE put the wrong fuse in, burns up the wiring. The wires in the tank are heavier gauge than what was in the trunk, thankfully, or I may not be here talking about it.

My max 13.5 on my way down to fl going to see how it goes on the way back to nyc on sunday

Isnt the capacity 13.5 on the tank?

Interesting, that appears to be the most anyone has been able to put in one so far.

Just under half tank, but still a long way to go.... the tank starts off with such a can-do attitude as I've seen the combined total over 700 a couple times... but then it gets closer to reality as the tank burns through. Last fill-up was 591 miles with 36 miles DTE.

TripStatus_20130523_zps0304d47a.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

What's the messed up rational behind that?

There are two reasons behind Oregon's law against pumping your own gas:

Jobs

Lower station insurance

Here's the thing, most people believe our costs should be more since an attendant has to pump our gas. The opposite seems to be true, it is more expensive in Washington or California.

Sorry I'm new. Can anyone tell me why you need to keep clicking the pump to get it to fill up? That is what I'm understanding from reading all the comments.

I've noticed something interesting: over my last three tanks, I've been able to put more in each time. On a road trip this weekend, I put in 13.66 gallons with 3 miles DTE, and only one click.

My last trip actually registered Fuel used as 13.52gal. I'll get the pic up soon. So, I normally top off my vehicles... I know.... bad me. But I'll try to put back in the amount that the vehicle tells me I used. So, for that trip, I did put in 13.816.

Please feel free to ridicule my actions - but from my experience, 4 vehicles over the last 17 years. All of which I continue to top off well past the first click, none have suffered ill effects.

My 1993 SL2 - which I have owned since 1996, is still a daily driver for me - I top off at least 1.5 gal after the first click, and I have over 5 years of meticulous fuel records to go with it.

My 2003 Saturn Vue - put 82k miles on it - topped it off every time... Don't own that anymore. Still have the fuel records though

My 2009 Saturn Outlook - I consistently put in 2 gallons more after the first click every time I fill it up. (logic there being whatever extra I put in will burn off in the first 20 miles anyway... (have the entire fuel history on it)

My 2013 FFH - I will treat no different. Except when i drive to Oregon, and they don't let me fill my tank. (since buying it used I have my fuel history)

Stupidity - maybe so. Consistency - absolutly. So, consistent stupidity :) Time will tell. I know my 93 Saturn doesn't have the vapor recovery sys my new vehicles have...

Is my vapor recovery system compromised on my 2009 Outlook - probably. Take it as you will, but my largest fill on the Fusion is 14.000

Fuel fills - So far - the 10 gal 27 MPG fill was in Oergon, couldn't top off.....