heloski

cracking noise

Which would end up being worse, bad cv stub or bad motor mounts? I really hope they come up with a fix soon. Picking up my car this weekend and not looking forward to the first time I start hearing these noises.

CV is worse as it can leave you stranded. Loose motor mount not so much, it will get worse over time, but it wont leave you stranded when it breaks. The fact that one person posted the tightened some parts, leaves me optimistic that it is a loose component and not an axle.

That idea had not been thought of by their mechanics and will now be looked in to.

Seriously? somehow I am not surprised though.

My problem is these Ford "techs" arent really mechanics anymore, just script monkeys who do what Ford tells them to do. Old school troubleshooting has gone the way of the DoDo these days. They run across a problem like this and first thing they do is IM Ford. The "tech" in the other end of the IM looks it up on his troubleshooting check list and responds back, do this, "tech working on the car does this, comes back and say, this didnt work, "tech" on the other end say, Oh well, cant help you.

Now a real mechanic would get the car, take it for a test drive, identify the noise of said complaint and try to reproduce the noise on the lift. Hmm noise cant be heard on the lift? Well, then noise must be generated under load. OK, have helper get in car, set parking brake, block wheels, stand on the brake and put it in gear. Listen for noise while under stress, hear noise? Now trace the noise with helper in car.

Thats how I used to troubleshoot these when I was a mechanic, note I was a "mechanic" not a "tech". A mechanic can figure this crap out without a book or IM chat to some dude clear across the country who has no insight on the actual vehicle. Describe the sound, you know, it sounds like this,.......

If I had the means and equipment to figure out what was wrong with the one I had, I would have done so and told Ford to screw themselves. My faith in their "techs" is about on par with those "techs" used for troubleshooting a PC, not very high. Especially when the evidence is right in front of their eyes, and they totally ignore the facts and rely on virtual reality IE the dash readouts. The Dash says its getting this, yet the REAL fill is actually this. Yeah, faith is lowwwww.