fusionTX

Owner Reviews

Not going to go into any details on the MPG, I think its been documented to the extreme here, but, for the car itself.....

Probably the best deal you can find is the Fusion. When you add up all the options available, with the exception of not being able to get the Sony in anything but the Titanium trim, the Fusion SE Hybrid has it. Adaptive Cruise control, BLIS, Park Assist, Driver assist, lane keeping, Collision Avoidance.

If you want a car with all that, you can get a Toyota Avalon Hybrid, and spend $45,000, or you can save $10,000 and get a Fusion.

On mine, other than the overhead sunglass holder buzzing, which seems to have gone away, there have been no other issues in fit finish or quality. The MyFord Touch however is Sh^t! It is too bad you cant choose the older style Nav that is in the 2012 F150 with Applink. Much easier to use, and works!

The Drive is great, smooth, comfortable, tracks nicely, handles very well, on par with the 2010 Fusion Sport we had, and we LIKED that car. It may not have the giddy up and nice roar of the V6, but the handling is there.

The 18" Goodyear LS2 tires grip very well, driven through snow and on ice and did not have any traction issues, and they are also quiet.

If I had a choice between this car and a Toyota Camry, I will take the Fusion. If it was between the Fusion or Avalon though, and could afford the Avalon, for the difference in EPA ratings, I would choose the Avalon, but then again, for the $10,000 premium, its going to be a nicer ride.

Overall I am happy with the car, otherwise it would have been gone weeks ago, it's Ford Corporate that I am not thrilled with, and am hoping they get their act together and own up to their mistakes. They designed an awesome ride, and of course mistakes will be made, but to say nothing is wrong, when there are obvious problems instead of owning up and saying yes, we believe it can be improved upon, and we are working on it, leaves one a little empty inside.

It is those features mentioned that has kept me with the Fusion, even if it isnt a hybrid. I could have jumped ship to Toyota, but they dont offer the lane keeping or ACC on the Camry, only the BLIS and cross traffic. I also like the auto dim high beams, when they work.

Although our Titanium Fusion is still on order there are two things listed by others above that impacted our decision.

Coach81's comment about plenty of room front and back is right on. I am 5' 11" and could not sit in the back seat of the Kia Optima as my head rubs the ceiling but I have more than an inch clearance in the back of a Fusion while both car rear headroom specs are virtually identical. Lesson learned, don't go by internet spec comparisons. Go sit in front and back of all candidate cars. Also, moonroofs reduce headroom clearance for the driver. My wife's current Mustang w/moonroof has a soil mark in the headliner from my hair rubbing the headliner. In the 2013 Fusion with the seat all the way down, I do have just enough clearance in a relaxed driving position however, if I sit up straight my hair brushes the headliner. So although the Fusion would be considered ample room in our case I felt it was a little too close to call and did not order a moonroof coupled with the fact that it was rarely used in the Mustang

Acdii referred to the Sony radio in this and other posts and I felt it might be helpful to others if this was explained in detail. To start, the Sony radio is the only one with HD Radio. HD radio is all free and offers many extra stations in full HD digital broadcast which means that all AM stations (the worst quality frequency) has FM quality and all FM stations have CD quailty. As an example, here in Southern California, K-earth 101.1 plays oldies but has an additional station in HD called 101.1 HD2 which specializes in "classic" oldies unlike their regular broadcast station and the HD2 station is not constantly interrupted with news, commercials etc.

The Sony system incorporates 12 speakers, 390Watts, Dolby 5.1 surround processing and a subwoofer. What does all of this mean? Just like the back seat extra headroom, it's best for you to decide. I visited a dealer who had a non hybrid Fusion titanium with the Sony radio parked next to a Fusion SE without the Sony. I brought a CD with me and did an A/B comparison (don't use the car radio for this test). The Sony system superiority was immediately evident. The base in the SE was flat and sounded very "car radio" like while the Sony bass was deep, rich and surprisingly clean. But the more important difference was the sound experience. The SE sounded spacially very much like a front and back speaker sound stage while the Sony immerses you with a surround sound. The reason you need to test this yourself is different people have very different opinions regarding music quality. Some are very critical home stereo type audiophiles while the other end of the spectrum are the tone deaf. Most people fall somewhere inbetween.

I've done at least a half dozen extended road tests and can report the suspension performed pretty much what I expected on bumps and bounces. No complaints but nothing extraordinary. It was the handling that was the big surprise. It was nothing like your average mid-size family sedan. It handled much like the more expensive European sedans. Even the NY Times who some say are a Detriot basher raved about the new Fusion handling.

"Yet judged strictly on performance, the Ford is a marvel. It is a bona fide driver’s car, the rare family sedan that loves a curve-chucking detour on the way to work. The chassis, suspension, brakes and steering all rank at the top of the class, or near it. The Fusion sets the sporty sedan standard over formidable new rivals like the Nissan Altima andVolkswagen Passat, leaving the Honda Accord as its closest competitor."

Somehow that NY Times quote was more surprising than my road test "big surprise" experience

You pretty much nailed this one. The difference in sound quality between the Sony in the 2010 and the standard in the 13 is quite apparent. There are songs I listen to that have crisp cymbals, drums and guitar work. The one that comes to mind right now is The Outlaws Ghost Riders, the song starts out with a guitar, in the Sony car, it sounds as if you were sitting right next to the guitar, while in the 13 non Sony its about what you would expect from a 2 speaker FM radio. I play the song off my USB Flash Drive in both cars. I did the same test in the Camry too, and the base radio in that, the non JBL sounds better than the base in the Fusion, while the JBL is a notch above the Sony, only in that it has deeper bass while parked, when the Sony uses the speed compensation they are equal.

I haven't had the pleasure yet of test driving a Titanium, which is why I am still a bit apprehensive about my decision, so hoping they get one in soon that I can test drive and listen. I dont expect the handling between the SE and Titanium to be any different though, but since the SE handled so damned nice, and plowed through snow like it wasnt there, I already know the Ti will be a good driver. The HySe handled on par with the 2010 Sport I had, which was fun to drive, but I didnt care for the seats, made my left leg ache on an hour drive. The new Fusion SE seats are very comfortable, but havent sat in the Ti seat yet, they may be a bit different.

Edited by acdii

Spend 2 hours in a car each day, and yeah, it does! :) I used to listen to talk radio, so it really didnt matter, but I got tired of the BS going on in this country and turned it off and now listen to Pandora.

If only they would get APPLINK working on all their Sync devices, that would ROCK. I miss having it when I got rid of the F150. Thumb up/down, right from the steering wheel.