fusionTX

2013 Hybrid Gas Tank Size

Filled up tonight after getting the car back. took 10 gallons over 314 miles. It was just under 1/4 tank, so looks like the tank is filling OK.

Again, do NOT run these cars out of gas. It is not good for them or you. The EV also shuts down at almost the same time so it won't get you to the gas station a few blocks away. Don't overfill the tank ! Believe the miles to empty. It's calculated on a gallon or so remaining. Do you realize how little this is at the bottom of a 14 g. tank? The 2013 should go 300 miles before you get to 1/4 F. That's when you should refill.

Yeah, I learned a long time ago not to run the tank dry when the fuel pump in my 92 Crown Vic seized and burned up the entire wiring harness in the trunk. Man, took weeks to get that smell out when I got the car back. It was also a $2500 repair that thankfully was covered under warranty.

It would be nice if they had a 16 gal tank.

Agreed - my 2010 had a 17.5 gallon tank, and now reduced to 13.5, and last week I did fit in 12.6 gallons and was afraid to test it further (was already 21 miles past 0 DTE).

The Specs on the Ford site continue to show 14 Gallon tank for the hybrid.

Fuel Capacity (gal.) 16.5 FWD/17.5 AWD/14.0 Hybrid and Energi Plug-In Hybrid

I think they have updated and corrected a lot of the inaccuracies, but this remains. Maybe the tank really is 14 gallons or maybe it was modified to use the same tank as Energi at some point during year. Or maybe it's just wrong on the web site.

Yeah I guess the web site needs an update, but the Owner Manual (1st printing I believe) notes on pg 302 that Energi fuel tank is 14.0 gallons and Hybrid is 13.5.

I cut it a bit close for comfort today with my 13.5 gallon tank, went 628 miles and it took 13.2 gallons. Knew I had about 200 miles to drive today and yesterday while sitting in the garage the DTE said 232 so I figured I was good... then this morning it was 32 degrees and so the cold weather and HVAC skewed that DTE downward during the day big time, so by the time I got home and filled up it was -30 miles DTE.

Edited by jeff_h

So basically what I'm hearing is there is absolutely no way you'll ever run out of gas when it says you are about to. You have a least 20+ miles left in the tank right? Probably more.

Not necessarily... the DTE is calculated by your MPG history of the past X miles, but it's only an estimation. I've had two fillups where the DTE was -20 and -21 and I put in about 12 gallons, then that last one it was -30 DTE and I put in 13.2 gallons which was pretty close to being empty and while I figured I had about 1.5 gallons in reserve (based on the two prior fillups when DTE was about -20), but turned out I had a gallon less than that and was actually not too far from running out. So it really is just an approximation, and while it seems very 'unlikely' that you will ever actually run out gas when the DTE hits zero due to the reserve being factored in, it could be closer than thought.

So basically what I'm hearing is there is absolutely no way you'll ever run out of gas when it says you are about to. You have a least 20+ miles left in the tank right? Probably more.

Maybe in the Fusion, but I found, not in the Flex, when it says get gas, fill that bugger. I had less than a gallon left when I reached DTE 0. 18.5 gallon tank, 17.6 to fill. I always filled the Fusions at 1/4 tank if I can. Not worth the risk to me. It just meant I filled the 13 more than the 10 because of the smaller tank.