coach81

Topping off the gas, fuel gauge issue

I have a new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. When I filled up the tank, the gas to empty indicator read 491 miles. I drove less than 3 miles and the gas to empty read 465 miles. The same thing happened at my last fill up.

I have a new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. When I filled up the tank, the gas to empty indicator read 491 miles. I drove less than 3 miles and the gas to empty read 465 miles. The same thing happened at my last fill up.

Is this normal?

I've found that the DTE weighs the most recent activity pretty heavily when calculating that number. My DTE number raised by about 30 in the course of about a mile... but that was a long downhill and the most recent activity was about a mile at probably 150 MPG so that really stretched things out.

So in your example, the DTE number dropped by 26 miles over the course of 3, maybe you weren't getting very good MPG during that time --- conversely, if you went another 3 where the terrain was more favorable and you got much better MPG, the DTE number may have raised back up some, thus evening things out as you ebb and flow during normal driving. I don't know if it's quite that volatile, but you get the idea.

So yes I would call it normal, IMHO.

Edited by jeff_h