Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Opinion, what would you do

I spent some time at the dealer tonight with the sales guy. He backed the Red Focus out after boosting the battery, it sat on the floor too long without being driven, and it has 9(had) miles on it. I took it for a drive but it has a glitch, the dash kept popping up hill hold errors and a couple of the warning lights flashed, and the headlights were flickering, which most likely was due to the battery being discharged. He will have it serviced tomorrow and checked out, but it did drive nice. They have another one, a Titanium in black, minus the Nav and sport package, and I took that for an extended drive and averaged 33 MPG in it.

So tell me this, why can I get 40.4 in my 2010 in 25* weather, going up hill, which happened tonight, surprised the heck out of me too, thought it would be about 38, so 40.4 pertty good, 33 in a brand new non hybrid, but can barely eek out 35 in the 2013 FFH?

Once my Fusion is serviced, if it did not fix the MPG issue, then the dealer would work something out with me to get into a different car, and minimize the loss as much as possible. If I go with a Focus, I will lose some of the fancy pants stuff, like adaptive cruise, auto dimming high beams, rain sensing wipers, BLIS, collision avoidance, self park (like I would ever use it, had it in the flex, used it once in 2 years), auto dim mirrors. It would be a smaller car, but it does have a Sony stereo which does sound very nice, its sporty looking, handles well, was comfortable to drive, and easily got 33 MPG highway. On the interstate it can easily get the 38 it is rated for. It would also cost me at least $100 if not more per month less than I pay now for a shorter period.

Question is, would I be happy with it, or should I look into a different Fusion model, and not worry about MPG, but get something I really like for about paid for this one?

What would you do in this situation? Keep after Ford until the repair or replace it, and suffer the agony of driving a turd until then, or........

Its a tough call to make, the CEL really blew my mind on this, never expected trouble during the first month of owning it, and it has spent more time in the shop than any of the other cars I owned.

You notice that too? LOL I slept on it, and I dont think I would be happy in a Focus either, but would be in the Fusion provided it got good MPG. I would miss the toys in it. I am waiting on what the service finds on it and go from there, maybe the CEL is directly related, and will resolve the problem, if not, then I will pursue other means.

If it does come down to being a bad car, then I would most likely try to order a Hybrid Ti exactly as this one without the park assist. Works out to be almost the same price too.

So far it has been in the shop 4 days. The only time my 2010 was in for more than a day was by choice when they had to replace the blower motor, They had to order it and it was after Thanksgiving, so took a day longer to get it, since I had the new car, I let them hang onto it. Other than that, it has only been in for oil changes and a MAP replacement when I first got it.

My 2010 is being good to me, it easily got 38 this morning, 40 last night, and I'm not really trying to maximize it either. I have a damned cold too, so not really paying much attention to the driving, just keeping it between the lines and away from other cars :)

What I find funny is how the long term MPG is so low on the dash even though I am getting 38-40, then it dawned on me, my short lunch trips are knocking it down. Got to stop going out to lunch.

I haven't found one locally, nearest one is in Wisconsin. I have looked into the LL and hope I dont need it. I got a call from the dealer a little while ago, the codes are for misfire, and when he pulled the plugs they were black with soot. He said the gas smells funky too, but I get my gas from 3 stations, BP, Shell and Thorntons. The last tank was from Thorntons, and that is a busy station, with hundreds of fills a day, so if there was a gas problem with that station I would have heard something.

I also mentioned how the tank is hard to fill at times.

Black sooty plugs, overly rich conditions, HMMMMMM, thinking what I'm thinking?

They will have a hard time with the bad gas story. The station I got my gas from has a high turn around, and the receipts are in the car for all gas purchases. Besides bad gas doesn't carbon soot the plugs, it can damage injectors, and cause general poor running conditions, but the engine ran smooth and had plenty of power, but it did feel like it was loading up. I'm betting on the computer as the core issue. If it has a glitchin it, then it could think that its getting what it reports when in fact its way off. Explains why fuel consumption is high. It has only 4500 miles on it, and has a few people puzzled.

Check this out, for the kind of MPG I'm getting, the 1.6 with stop/start is close to what I get according to its EPA rating. With the same options I have, except adaptive cruise, not available on this particular one, its about $5K less.

So Ford can send me a check for the difference and I will stop complaining. :)

Well I got the car back with 4747.7 on the clock, lets see how many miles I get before the CEL starts blinking again.

No BS, even better, no problem found. IOW they have no idea why the plugs fouled and want to see if they foul again,

No BS, even better, no problem found. IOW they have no idea why the plugs fouled and want to see if they foul again,

I find it incredible that with a CEL, fouled plugs and poor mileage, they changed the plugs and sent you home. This is incompetence at it's highest level. For some reason, this car is running way rich. I'd make as much stink as I could all the way to Mulally. It's time to read the remedies in your owners guide with a fine tooth comb.

Edited by lolder

In trying to help you out and watch some Fusion Hybrid Reviews I came across Car and Driver's You Tube video review of the FFH. One of the more thorough and very insightful reviews I have watched.

I also came across this video from C&D's YouTube video uploads:How Often Should You use Fuel Treatment Products?

The older gentleman recommended using Top Tier fuels: http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html A little informative which may help out with the fuel deposit/fouling issue you're running into. From the site, and from what stations you visit, Shell seems to be the recommended place to get your gas. So try going there for a few fill ups and see what happens.

Hope this helps!

I use either Shell or BP or Thorntons in all my vehicles, and never had a fuel related problem. I think I stopped at one not on that list on my way back from Florida, but that gas is long gone by now.

I find it incredible that with a CEL, fouled plugs and poor mileage, they changed the plugs and sent you home. This is incompetence at it's highest level. For some reason, this car is running way rich. I'd make as much stink as I could all the way to Mulally. It's time to read the remedies in your owners guide with a fine tooth comb.

Agreed. They are on my S list now, so depending on what my dealer can do, this may get ugly.

I've been a long time lurker. I'm highly interested in acquiring a FFH-Titanium as my next daily driver car over my current car '05 Corolla. Let me say I am sorry that you're having issues with your FFH however, I am glad you're speaking up about it. I'll also add that even with your mpg numbers you are besting me by about 5 mpg at the moment and you look WAY better doing it. The Corolla is a solid platform, cheap on maintenance, but boring as hell to drive lol! It's so not me and I've gotten bored with it. I typically get 33/34 mpg in the summer and 30ish in the winter.

I've read your postings, even on other sites and forums (I know it's you lol) I think something may be wrong with your car. It may be computer related (something with the EV-mode controller perhaps?) I'm not sure what your miles driven over EV miles driven is. However, I don't think you'll be happy with a Focus. What will you get owning one over what you currently have now? What another 3 maybe 4 mpg? Do you think that would truly satisfy you in the long run? I would opt for the FFH-Titanium model instead (with 17s lol) if that's what you're looking for. Or pick up some sweet lightweight forged 18/19s and pimp out strong lol.

My other opinion would be to contact Ford Corporate directly. Write a letter and address your issue. Have you tried running on 89 Octane as an experiment?

Whatever you go with I wish you best of luck!

I had given it a lot of thought after going for the extended test drive. I was able to get 33 MPG in 22* weather driving a brand new Focus titanium hatchback. I can easily achieve good MPG out of the car, and it wasn't bad driving, until I had lights behind me and realized the rear view mirror doesn't dim. So for the savings of about $100 a month and 1 year fewer payments, it wouldnt be worth it to me, I would be giving up way too much, and it limits me on who I can carry, at least in the Fusion the whole family can go to places local, wouldnt take it on a long trip though, just not enough room for 5 people with the car seats.

I have been in touch with Corporate and was basically told, Ford is not going to do anything because the car is getting the correct MPG according to their test drives. They totally ignored the fact that I record MPG by number of miles/gallons used. I wrote another message to Ford and waiting on a response back. I dont want this to get ugly, but for someone who gave Ford over $120k in 3 years to be treated like this is unacceptable.

How do they explain the sooty plugs and CEL? Plugs removed at 100,000 miles from modern engines look almost new. The CEL should have left a DTC. Your experience with the 2010 FFH is a good enough comparison. Cold weather high speed driving can easily produce mileage in the low 30's but the plugs shouldn't ever foul or even look sooty.

Agreed, the salesguys were even puzzled over this one. They can't understand why the car was released back to me without further troubleshooting to determine the cause of the fouling. He did mention that my case will be discussed in their weekly meeting, so hopefully something can be done. One of the thoughts is to find me a loaner 13 FFH for a week and have me drive that to see if its me or the car.

I would be embarrassed beyond belief if it was my driving LOL. Still wouldnt explain the fouled plugs though.

After my drive yesterday with such poor MPG returns, I posted this on the Ford FB page. If no response after this, not sure what to do. Customer Service is not returning my calls.

To whom it may concern over at Ford Corporate. Refusing to repair my 2013 Fusion Hybrid, when the plugs fouled and telling me there is nothing wrong with the car when in fact it gets poor fuel economy, and I can prove it with fuel records, and compare it to my 2010 Fusion Hybrid which gets EPA when I try, and close when I dont, is low.
Please put two and two together, If spark plugs foul at 4500 miles, and a customer is complaining because the car is getting poor gas mileage usually means there is something wrong, regardless of what the cars computer is telling you. Sending me on my way and telling me, drive it and see if they foul again, is lame, they will foul again. The car is doing no better now than it did when I first brought it in with 2400 miles on it. There is a problem with it when I drive 65 MPH on the interstate with the eco cruise set, and a tail wind, and only see 36 MPG over a 50 mile trip. Coming back it got 31. Pretty poor for a car rated at 47 MPG highway. Factor in the cold weather, I should have seen at least 40 MPG, had I seen that, I would not be complaining, but considering I also have a 3 year old Hybrid that DOES get 40 MPG highway and better driving 65MPH and higher, this car is broken!
I expect to be treated better than this considering over the past 3 years I have purchased over $120,000 worth of Ford vehicles, and I have been told that there is nothing wrong and we will not doing anything for you, and banning and deleting my posts on the Fusion page.
Either fix my car so it gets the MPG it should or replace it with one that does. That is all I ask for, to get what I paid for. I have driven Hybrids since 2007 and have ALWAYS exceeded EPA in them, and can prove it, and when I cant even get close to EPA in
this car, something is wrong with it!

Considering it heavily. Going to go back to the dealer once more and give it one last attempt before I head down that path. If I do, it wont be on another Ford. I do not like the way I am being treated on this one bit.

Edit: in fact, tempted to stop at Toyota and ask, what do you have that can match what I have in this one that actually gets good EPA?

Edited by acdii