Ric

Daytime Running lights?

All they care about is getting fives on the score cards.

Some dealers probably do. Our selling dealer gave us a survey to fill out as one of the last steps before we left with our car. I filled it out giving very high marks to our salesman who did an excellent job. I didn't at all like the guy from the F&I office because he was pushy in trying to sell us extended warranties, etc. I told him "No" repeatedly but he kept pushing implying that only stupid people don't buy their overpriced warranties. I filled out on the survey that I was not at all pleased with his attitude or approach. After filling out the survey our salesman took us over to get our phones paired with the car, etc and walk us through it. A few minutes later the Manager who runs the dealership came over to meet us and thank us for our business and he apologized for the F&I guy based on my comments on the survey and asked me more about what he did that I didn't like and how I would've preferred to be treated. I don't know if my feedback ever got back to the F&I guy but I did appreciate the acknowledgement of my comments. The salesmen are very invested in getting 5s on their surveys because at some dealers (like ours) their comission is based on the results. If the salesman gets all 5s he gets a bonus on top of his comission for that sale. When I filled out the Ford survey I expressed again in my comments that our salesman was great but that I was not pleased with the F&I guy. So sometimes surveys do have an impact.

I know DRLs can be turned on. I saw a FFH and a gas Fusion recently which both had DRLs and were not rental cars as they carried dealer stickers on the back. The gas Fusion even came from the same dealership as ours...

They could be part of a company's fleet order of Fusion's which would allow for DRL to be ordered.

It shouldn't such a big hassl to get DRL's turned on if the customer wants it turned on. It's probably just a bit somewhere in one of the 70 computers.

I would tell them that if they want me to give them high marks on their survey from Ford then they should turn them on at no charge and see what they say. I don't know about you but if the dealer wasn't willing to turn on DRLs at no charge while they're doing everything else then I wouldn't be satisfied with their service.

HB, they just told me that the DRL 'turn on' would be free, ain't it great! Now I wonder if they really can do it and how it will look.

We'll know in a few hours.

(Sitting in the fancy waiting room, just had my free breakfast from their little in-house cafe, typing on my iPad and reading a book, yawn). They must have 50 Fusions of all types here, rows and rows of them. Plenty of Energi's left too.

Edited by GrySql

Thanks GrySql for testing this for us. Please let us know how to coach our dealer into turning them on. I've always felt that the potential safety benefit of DRL offset the small energy cost.

Some insurance companies consider DRLs a safety feature and offer discounts for cars so equipped. My service manager just checked and says it's not available on the 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid...

So, ya wanna know what DRL's look like, see below. Edit 1: They don't come on until you place the gear selector in 'Drive'. take it out of 'Park'. I tried it today in the garage, R, N, D & L all have the DRL's on, P shuts them off.

When I asked why other Dealers say they can't do this activation I got a knowing look and the reply was "because you have to know your job and dig deep to find this software" - a good answer. I have a great Dealer and a very special Service Advisor, that's him in my car showing me the DRL's so I could take a picture.

Edit 2: the Tech notes indicate the DRL software is stored in:

Body Control Module>Day Light Running Lamps>program Module>Re-test.

DRLs_zps87176e17.jpg

Edited by GrySql

But it may be true that the Titanium model cannot be turned on. For example the Taurus SHO comes standard with HIDs and the "line" driving lights, not fog lamps. Neither of those can be used as DRLs, so the US SHO cannot have DRLs enabled and all Canadian versions come with the base Taurus non-HID headlamps.

But it should be noted that DRL is a valid fleet option on US spec Titanium models per the order guide and it doesn't mention any different hardware, so I suspect there is still a way to turn them on through the software.

Are the DRL the same as me turning on my regular headlamps manually?

No. They are at about half power and the tail lights are not turned on.

I just shot my dealer an email to see if it can be turned on in the HyTi.

No. They are at about half power and the tail lights are not turned on.

I always drove with the headlights on anyway, now I use less electrical power when on the road.

Edited by GrySql

Called the local dealer last week to see if the DRL's can be turned on. One of the SA'S said no because he owned a regular Ford Fusion 2013, not hybrid and this could not be done as far as he knew.
Well today 9/10/2013 I took the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE to the dealer for the Fuel Pump Module to be replaced which I was told it could take about 3 hours and I mentioned the DRL's to another SA from the same dealership and he said if I have that option it would be activated.
1.5 hours later Fuel Pump Module R&R and DRL'S activated(no charge for the latter)
The SA could not understand why they just don't activate the DRL'S at the factory.
BTW I printed out the picture of the Ford Fusion with daytime running light on and where to find the software for on/off (DRL'S) from this forum and showed it to the latter SA (Thanks GrySql)

Edited by IraF

Called the local dealer last week to see if the DRL's can be turned on. One of the SA'S said no because he owned a regular Ford Fusion 2013, not hybrid and this could not be done as far as he knew.

Well today 9/10/2013 I took the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE to the dealer for the Fuel Pump Module to be replaced which I was told it could take about 3 hours and I mentioned the DRL's to another SA from the same dealership and he said if I have that option it would be activated.

1.5 hours later Fuel Pump Module R&R and DRL'S activated(no charge for the latter) The SA could not understand why they just don't activate the DRL'S at the factory.

BTW I printed out the picture of the Ford Fusion with daytime running light on and where to find the software for on/off (DRL'S) from this forum and showed it to the latter SA (Thanks GrySql)

Congratulations on outsmarting the Service Writers at your Dealer!!

Isn't it amazing that there is so much mis-information at the different Dealer's Service Departments?

I'm glad to have helped, you're welcome - the Forum is the Force for FFH Improvement. (FFFFHI? Unfortunately that is too hard to pronounce :) )

I emailed my dealer and they are INGOOOOOOORING me. Funny how when I was looking for a Fusion I got emails left and right in matter of minutes.

Well crud. Took my Z to my Ford dealer to pick up some parts I had on order, and mentioned in passing about the DRLs. A few minutes later a tech was out in my Z plugged in and going to town. He found where to enable/disable the DRLs, but could not figure out how to actually ENABLE them! NOOOO! We will try again when I take it in for failing the VHR driver assist/restraint system.

Just found this posted elsewhere:

I just had my DRL's activated on my 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium at my local Lincoln dealer. It took less then 5 minutes from start to finish. All that was done was a laptop was hooked up to the data port then from there they were turned on. The DRL's are about one third the normal brightness of the headlights. They come on automatically when the car is placed in gear.

If anyone wants this done they can contact Alan Rains at Witt Lincoln
(619) 358-5079
alan.rains@wittlincoln.com
588 Camino Del Rio North
San Diego, CA 92108
They will charge $59.00 to perform this service

"They will charge $59.00 to perform this service"

$59.00 to perform this service? Service? How about rip off! I was not charged anything for the first attempt. Won't be charged anything for the next attempt either. I love my Ford dealer. They don't charge customers to enable something that should have been enabled at the factory. ;)

Edited by SteveB_TX

I don't like the idea of shortening the life of my normal headlamps to get daytime running lights and have a pair of LED light strips that will give a really cool effect. Before I install them, however, I'm looking for advice as to how/where I should wire them in to the electrical system? I suspect the easiest way to wire them in is to just have them come on when the car is running. Looking at fuses section of the owners manual (starts at page 239), I suspect the easiest/safest place to wire them in would be on the interior fuse panel (pg 246) into one of the spare fuse slots (e.g slot 4).

Could someone provide advices/insight where the best spot to wire in the LED strips would be? I won't be doing it myself, but given the FFH is a totally different electrical beast than a standard car, I want to come armed with knowledge when I'm talking with the person who will be installing them.

Of course I'll post photos once the lights are installed. :camera:

First step is confirming this can be done on 2013 Titanium Hybrid.

Yes it can, mine are on. No charge either.

I'm assuming you don't have a fleet vehicle? Pls. post contact info at your dealer familiar with the process or documentation I can give service manager. He says it can't be done. Thx!

The Tech notes I posted here helped show another member's Service Dept how to do it.

So you don't have to go to the link, this is what was listed on my Service receipt.

DRL software location:

Edited by GrySql

The Tech notes I posted here helped show another member's Service Dept how to do it.

So you don't have to go to the link, this is what was listed on my Service receipt.

DRL software location:

I gave this to my dealer too, whether he needed it or not didn't matter. Just the fact that I knew where to find it meant they cant tell me it couldn't be done. Then again, my dealer has been very good to me, and if they say can't be done, it usually cant be done.