Howie411

The 6 1/2 hr drive home in the snow

So I'm pretty impressed, just drove home from work (took 6 1/2 hrs) because of a snow storm we had in the middle of the day and my FFH handled very well. Only 2 times ever did my car get stuck (once on a high hill, and i was able to quickly rock it off) and once pulling into my drive way through a huge pile of snow. I saw numerous cars spun out all over the place. So nevertheless I'm impressed with how well it handled. Though I'm sad to report my average MPG for that drive was about 15 (for 22 miles)

I did smell some burnt rubber a few times, hopefully I didn't ruin my tires.

Thanks for the info, been looking for winter driving impressions with the FFH. Do you have the stock FFH tires on your car, or do you have a set of Winter tires on?

Still using the stock tires with about 12k miles on them.

Edited by Howie411

I also thank you for your information as I am considering possible purchase of FFH or more probably the Lincoln version somewhere in the future. In meantime living in northeast I am very interested in how they handle winter weather.

Can't really complain about gas mileage in such conditions, they would be expected to be really skewed like any car in comparable situation.

Thanks again

George in NY

Hey George. Here in Central NJ you know we've been hammered with snow this season. I've had my FFH since May 2009 with 18k miles and two winters under our belt. No snow issues at all. Stock tires and the traction control run well on snow.

Dan

So I'm pretty impressed, just drove home from work (took 6 1/2 hrs) because of a snow storm we had in the middle of the day and my FFH handled very well. Only 2 times ever did my car get stuck (once on a high hill, and i was able to quickly rock it off) and once pulling into my drive way through a huge pile of snow. I saw numerous cars spun out all over the place. So nevertheless I'm impressed with how well it handled. Though I'm sad to report my average MPG for that drive was about 15 (for 22 miles)

I did smell some burnt rubber a few times, hopefully I didn't ruin my tires.

'burnt rubber' smell. That surprises me, you must have had the traction control off since it prevents the tires from excessive spinning. Good thing they didn't catch fire like the guy in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. That was hilarious.

Otherwise, I think the vehicle handles the snow/slippery roads adequately...not great for a front wheel drive sedan. I think the low rolling resistance (LRR) tire are largely to blame. They must be a harder durometer rubber compound to achieve the LRR, so the trade-off should be expected. My next set of tires will be something different.

MMH - 26K miles

Jack in Ohio

I've been very pleased with my FFH's handling in the snow also, using stock tires/rims and driving in northern NJ where we are having record-breaking amounts of snow as well. One time, though, I couldn't make it out of my friend's driveway where he has an extremely steep incline. Finally after 10 minutes of numerous failed attempts I turned off the traction control and, although there was a lot of tire spin and burning smell to deal with, the car surprisingly climbed the ice & snow-covered hill as if it had 4-wheel-drive. I don't understand why Ford doesn't make the Fusion Hybrid available with AWD when it is an option on the Escape Hybrid.

The FEH AWD takes a 4 mpg hit over the FWD and they wanted the FFH to beat the TCH by a lot. Hardly anybody needs AWD anyway ( what's "snow" ? ).

Hi Dan, Thanks for the additional information, yes we have all been hammered this year. I am 35 miles north of NYC starting to look like canyons of snow here. Running out of places to push it. I also travel near you I would think, Somerville, every two weeks or so. On another thread there was a report of a heat / defrost problem by one person. Seems that no one else is reporting that, can I presume you also have no such issues. If I were to wind up stuck in traffic for hours I would really like to be nice and warm at least.

If you have no problems in central Jersey this year I can't see that I would have any either.

George in nY

George, Nope, no heat or any problems with my FFH.

Dan