AptosDriver

A FFH in my future?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy your Fusion hybrid again

• Yes
    • No

You have to own the stock for at least 6 months (and the number of shares might have gone up to 100 - not positive though). That changed a little over a year ago.

And the allowable doc fee on X plan just went up to $100. It's still the best way to buy. On every plan sale Ford gives the dealer an additional $400-$500 spiff check.

Thanks for the corrections.

To the OP, if you're seriously interested in the FFH, I'd go ahead and request an x-plan pin from that site (if you can't otherwise get one), because it can take a while.

Also, you're most likely to get a dealer to accept x-plan pricing (or, regardless, get the best price), if the dealer doesn't have to spend a lot of time on the transaction. From the dealer's perspective, he doesn't get much profit out of x-plan, so he's not going to want to do a bunch of test drives, etc. Decide on the car you want, then call some dealers and tell them you're ready to buy today, if they'll meet your price. I prefer doing it by phone because, that way, the dealer knows you're just going to go to the next name on the list if they say no.

Finally, you sound like you're pretty sophisticated so you probably already know this, but you can generally get much better financing independently than through the dealer (unless they're offering 0% APR, which I doubt they are on the FFH). I shopped around and found the lowest APR (again, this was spring 2009) using Capital One's "blank check" auto financing program. Super easy, and I saved a lot of money going that route.

I did some Googling and found a post on the Ford Flex forum with a link to X-plan pricing. The log-in code is NDUNV. (It's for employees of Notre Dame University.) The X-plan price for a base FFH in our area (I don't know what's involved when options come into play) is $26,429. That is actually $580 higher than Consumer Reports' current "bottom-line" price of $25,849, which takes into account the dealer hold-back. But on the other hand, that's the price and as you say, there is no haggling over it. :baby:

I'm a little surprised by that Consumer Reports number, but maybe it's right. If that's the case, you might be able to actually do better than x-plan. Please let us know how that turns out.

Regarding the fordpartner website, it's too bad it only lists the x-plan price for the base model. There really isn't a way, that I know of, to determine x-plan price for the specific model you're interested in without looking at the dealer's invoice.

Hi Mirak. :D In addition to what akirby stated, just one other correction (well, actually a clarification) to the good information you posted above: While an AXZ-Plan customer does pay the "Destination Charge/Fee", it is already included in the X-Plan price which is listed on the Factory Invoice. Therefore, it is an invisible fee and already included in the X-Plan price.

So when signing the paperwork, no one should see any added fees (Destination/Delivery or otherwise) on their Purchase Contract other than the exact X-Plan price as listed on the Factory Invoice, the maximum allowable $100 "Documentation Fee" (which is negotiable down to some extent) and the charges for any Dealer added options you agreed to (i.e. pin-striping, extended warranty etc.), if applicable. And then of course your particular State Taxes, Title and Registration fees.

All great information. Regarding the $750 destination charge - I think you are right that the price on the invoice should already have this rolled in. However, for some confusing reason, the x-plan price listed on the fordpartners website says that the destination charge is additional to the price listed on the site. So, I think the x-plan price listed on the fordpartners website will actually be $750 less than the price you'll see on the invoice (for a base model). Do I have that right? Maybe I'm misreading the fordpartners website.

And by the way, you are so right that some dealers will try to slip in extra fees even though they're not supposed to. If you're going the x-plan route, it is a good idea to arrive at the dealer armed with a copy of the rules from the fordpartners website, and also have the Ford Customer Service number programmed in your phone. I can't remember the specifics, but at the last minute my salesman tried to tack on a couple of hundred dollars with an extra fee that he swore was not already included in x-plan. I dialed up customer service to settle the matter, but before I got through to a rep, the salesman came back from the "back office" and offered to waive the fee. Acted like he was doing me a favor. It was a pretty scummy experience but I finally got the right price. I'm sure not all dealers are like that, but be prepared!

I posted a query about the Camry hybrid in a TCH forum a while back -- similar to my initial question here about the FFH. I've gotten something like 15 replies so far and and I'm shocked at the number of respondents who've said the would not buy a TCH again and have already dumped theirs. The main complaints seem to be about fit and finish, rattles, and a dysfunctional "lockout" NAV system, weird braking and rough transitions between electric and gas.

Fit and finish is a very common complaint for the Camry. It's not as good as the FFH. Kind of surprising for Toyota, actually, but they've really let this slip with some recent models. My 2006 Highlander Hybrid had a great interior.

Only time will tell about Ford's realiability, but the FFH's have been on the market for over two years now and reliability so far is fantastic. Ford has clearly upped its game.