AptosDriver

A FFH in my future?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy your Fusion hybrid again

• Yes
    • No

The FFH has a higher "High Tech Toy Fun Factor" than the TCH due to it's displays and Sync. I hear the TCH is a very nice car and very similar to the FFH in performance and may be somewhat softer riding.

nothing big changed from MY 2010 to 2011 for the FFH, a good sign in my book - as for the Fusion vs Camry thing like someone said the FFH is more 'hybrid' than the Camry (higher MPH for EV mode, better MPG etc. but the Camry has a Marsh mellow like ride so if that is important (not that the Fusion has a harsh ride by any means) a test drive of both may be in order (both in the same day if possible) bet you can guess how I voted :)

http://www.cars.com/...ids=11615,12015

Edited by rfruth

FWIW, the first Ford Escape hybrid taxicabs used in San Francisco were retired after traveling over 300K trouble-free miles with no major issues and still using the original batteries.

Link

Also, don't forget that battery manufacturing capacity is/was limited. This could affect sales volume, although hybrid sales in the U.S are not exactly breaking any records right now.

I chose a FFH over the Prius and the Camry, mainly because I liked the interior and exterior better, and the tech was superior. The LCD instrument panels are awesome, and the "mood ring" lighting is a fun touch. by comparison, the Camry just seemed like a boring old Camry. There's very little to distinguish (besides MPG) that it is a hybrid. You're wife might actually like that, if she isn't into the tech.

Both cars have great reliability, and both appear to do about the same MPG-wise (I think the FFH gets slightly better MPG, and the advanced instrument panels make it easier to hypermile).

Since your wife isn't itnerested in the tech, I think the choice will really come down to:

(a) Price: Don't know how these cars currently stack up in price, but remember that anyone can get access to Ford's x-plan pricing.

(B) Interior/Exterior preference: Totally subjective.

Don't be afraid to tell the salespeople you're also considering the FFH/Camry, and see what they say! Be sure to report back here what the Toyota salespeople have to say about the FFH.

Thanks for the advice. I still want to get a car that both of us will enjoy (I'll drive it on occasion), if for different reasons. I don't think my wife would have any trouble reading the LCD instrument panel. She can keep an eye on the speedometer and the gas gauge and ignore the other stuff -- like she already does; she wasn't paying attention to the coolant temperature gauge on our Volvo last spring, when it was overheating because of a thermostat problem, but that's another story. :drop: My understanding is that you can dumb down the panel display if you want. I don't know if the FFH has personalized settings for different drivers. As for all the other stuff, she'll ignore that too. As long as she knows how to use the climate control system and operate the radio, that'll be enough.

As for price comparison with the TCH, the FFH is definitely more expensive, a fully loaded FFH being several thousand dollars more than a fully loaded TCH. Likewise for the base models. I will keep shopping them both for the time being. As for what the Toyota salespeople say about the FFH, when I took a TCH out for a spin last month, the salesman claimed that Ford had "licensed" Toyota's hybrid technology for use in the Fusion. I "Googled" that issue and came up with an article that explained that Ford had done some "cross licensing" with Toyota to avoid lawsuits. I don't know what that entailed. Maybe some money changed hands. Anyway, the Toyota salesman was either misinformed or deliberately misleading. :finger: (It's actually Nissan that uses Toyota's hybrid system in its Altima hybrid.) People on this forum say that the Fusion hybrid drive train evolved from the Ford Escape hybrid and is Ford's own technology.

I took a quick look at Edmunds and you're right, a fully loaded Camry would probably run you about $2500 less than a loaded FFH. That's a pretty significant price difference. It would be difficult to ever recoup that difference in gas savings from the FFH's slightly better MPG. The FFH was much more competitive in early 2009 when it was still eligible for a $1700 tax credit.

For me, I'd still pay the price premium because the FFH is so fun to drive. The tech is superior, and I think the interior fit and finish is better, too. If you go to Edmunds, you'll note that one of the criticisms of the Camry is the cheap interior finish, but you can judge for yourself by sitting in both cars. With either car, I'd definitely recommend the leather.

The FFH's instrument panel does have 4 different display modes, from very basic information to very detailed. There are no personalized settings that I know of, but I've got a 2010 model.

As for the Ford / Toyota licensing issues, there's a lot of reading on the internet about that. Some say it's true, some say its false. I don't really care. All that really matters to me is how the car performs, and the FFH gets better MPG than the Camry. It's actually pretty telling that this is all the Toyota salesman had to say! The FFH eats the Camry's lunch in most respects, but that price difference is pretty significant...

As for finding an FFH with leather, etc. and leveraging a price close to Consumer Reports' "bottom line" cost, I see a problem. At the moment, these cars seem to be in short supply. The dealers around here (Santa Cruz, Calif.) have no more than three or four, max, on their lots and mostly base models. Some have only one or two. Even the Ford dealers "over the hill" in Silicon Valley (AKA, the Santa Clara Valley and "Peninsula") have mostly base models on their lots. My understanding is that the way to negotiate the best deal on a car is to go in at the end of the month when the dealers are under pressure to move more vehicles in order to reduce their "flooring costs" -- the monthly interest they have to pay the banks on the loans they take out to acquire their inventory from the manufacturers. But if they don't have much inventory of the car you want, they're not under as much pressure and it's harder to deal. (When I drove an FFH earlier this week, the dealer I went to had only one of them, whereas they had a couple of Lincoln MKZ hybrids. Makes me wonder if Ford and its dealers are trying to push people like me into a higher-end car by restricting the supply of the FFH.) Real bottom line: Actually finding getting a good deal on an FFH with the all options I would want ain't going to be easy. It's easier to find Camry hybrids. Gee, I wonder why.:headscratch:

I did not realize FFHs were in such short supply. Granted, you're in California, the hybrid capital of the U.S., but that still surprises me. If you want to get a good deal on a FFH, your best bet is using Ford's "x-plan" pricing. X-plan is a special "haggle-free" price program available to friends and family of Ford employees, or employees of certain Ford-affiliated companies, but anybody can get an x-plan pin number, if they know how.

The price is a few hundred more than the dealer's true invoice price (which is sometimes lower than the "invoice price" reflected on Edmunds). Also, the only extra fee permitted under x-plan is the standard $750 destination charge, plus a maximum $75 "doc fee" (at least, this was the rule back in 2009). No ridiculous $500 doc fees or other fees dealers try to add on in the back room. Thus, x-plan can result in pretty significant savings. While I have heard of a few people actually doing better than x-plan this summer when dealers were really hurting, x-plan is probably about as good as you can get. Plus, it's haggle-free. Ford actually requires that the x-plan price be printed on each dealer invoice, which the dealer has to show you if you ask to see it.

There are two tricks to x-plan: First, the dealers are not required to sell all cars at x-plan price, expecially cars that are in short supply. Thus, even if you find the car you want in CA, the dealer might not accept x-plan for that car. The first dealer I found in KS back in spring 2009 wouldn't take it, because he only had two FFHs on the lot, but I found another dealer across town who would. Second, you need to get yourself an x-plan pin. There's many ways to do this:

1. Did you work for a large company? They might be a Ford affiliate. You can look this up on the internet.

2. Do you have an e-trade account or otherwise buy/sell stock? If you buy one share of stock, you can request an x-plan pin. You can sell the stock at any time. Google it.

3. Do you know anybody who works for Ford? Each employee gets something like 4 x-plan pins per year that they can give out.

4. Go to this website and ask for a pin! Be patient and polite. This is how I got mine.