Noel

Is this normal: low-beams at night generates a discreet line . . .

. . . above which I can see squat! I'm hoping there is a headlight adjusting capability since in this car it is frankly dangerous in certain conditions to drive at night w/ low beams on. The line of demarcation between illuminated foreground and areas out ahead that are not illuminated is way way way to distinct. All other cars I have ever driven diffuse this so you can at least see somewhat past the initial foreground area. W/ my FFH if I make a turn for example 90 degrees at an unlit intersection, the braking to slow down causes the front of the car to drop down slightly, and often I can't see a thing beyond about 15 feet it seems, so if a person, dog, deer, whatever is out a little ways I won't be able to see it in time to stop, so I end up putting my high beams on to eliminate this problem.

Anyone notice this? Is there an adjustment? It's really a bad thing and dangerous potentially.

Noel

. . . above which I can see squat! I'm hoping there is a headlight adjusting capability since in this car it is frankly dangerous in certain conditions to drive at night w/ low beams on. The line of demarcation between illuminated foreground and areas out ahead that are not illuminated is way way way to distinct. All other cars I have ever driven diffuse this so you can at least see somewhat past the initial foreground area. W/ my FFH if I make a turn for example 90 degrees at an unlit intersection, the braking to slow down causes the front of the car to drop down slightly, and often I can't see a thing beyond about 15 feet it seems, so if a person, dog, deer, whatever is out a little ways I won't be able to see it in time to stop, so I end up putting my high beams on to eliminate this problem.

Anyone notice this? Is there an adjustment? It's really a bad thing and dangerous potentially.

Noel

The headlight adjustment instructions are on page 75 in the '10 owners manual and page 78 in the '11 manual. IMHO iIt's always a good idea to read the manual because it has much useful information.

Hmm, I knew my fogs were aimed WAY too low, but 99.9% of my driving is on well lit highways when I drive at night, so I never thought they were too bad. I'll have to look into the aiming. Thanks for the info.

Just for reference's sake, the fog's on my 2009 Platinum F-150 absolutely stink. What's really strange, is that the fogs on my 1997 XLT, 1998 Lariat and 2004 Lariat F-150's were all fantastic! This is the first time they have had the round fogs on the F-150, perhaps it has something to do with that? All I know is, they are completely useless on a 52k truck. Doesn't surprise me to hear Ford has messed them up on their other vehicles either. Headlights are great, though.

Check to see if they are algned correctly. The ones on my car were awful until they were aligned. Seems like Fusions are leaving Mexico with headlights set too low and fogs set WAY too low.

Ugg, thank you for pointing out the obvious! For some reason I envisioned if there was an adjustment it had to be done at an official headlight adjusting station so never looked at the manual. Thanks and this is very nice to know! Now not only do I feel like an idiot but you've gone and confirmed it!

Cheers,

Noel

Florida has no inspections either. Many states systems were/are corrupt or ineffective. Most car's systems announce problems automatically.

Edited by lolder

There IS a state inspection in Tx and in some counties a emission test to, in other words the state gets an extra $ 75.00 annual y from me (& lots of others) ((IMO this is a real money maker while keeping unsafe smog machines off the roads))

Edited by rfruth

Wow, had no idea. I bet a lot of people with no money or who just don't care or say they can't find the time; would never do any repairs at all unless the vehicle became impossible to drive without doing a specific repair. Sounds dangerous to leave it up to everyone like that, but who am I to know what's best; that's why I stay out of politics altogther.

What happens if someone from FL or GA drives up to say, MA? Are they allowed to drive around without having an Inspection Sticker?

If your car is not registered in an inspection state you don't have a sticker and can drive in any state without one and you can't be forced to get a sticker..

Edited by FFHdriver

Hi George. :D While I realize we are mainly discussing headlights here, that article is not completely correct concerning elimination of New Jersey Motor Vehicle inspections. No more inspections for operational "safety equipment " (headlights, windshields, wipers, brakes etc.) in NJ. However, we still have mandatory vehicle inspections (every other year with new vehicle time waivers) and inspection stations for emissions. We still must go every other year and get our windshield sticker.

Last time I went, they also pressure tested my fuel cap. Can't wait to see what they do when they open the door on my gas-cap-less 2010 fusion in 4 more years. (They just granted me a 1 year extension for new cars) :headspin: