randylb

Winter Mileage and Regenerative Braking Questions

I lose about 5MPG, but most of my trips are over 30 miles. It would be more if I were doing short trips. The car needs to warm up before it is efficient. If it doesn't get to warm up it will get crummy mileage. The cold weather is only part of the problem. In cold weather states the gas is reformulated in the Winter and contains less energy per gallon. Add up the denser air, less energy in the gas, having to roll over ice and snow, and cold engine and it hurts.

Jon

Although we don't have much of a winter here in Phoenix, I have noticed a definite drop in mileage as we have dropped into the low 40s over the last few days. Nothing drastic but my long term mileage has dropped by a half a MPG over just the last 2 days driving the exact same route. I'm sure it is the result of the engine running more to keep it up to the proper operating temps.

Most of the hit is the cabin heater. It keeps the ICE running all the time on short, cold start trips.

Edited by lolder

Most of the hit is the cabin heater. It keeps the ICE running all the time on short, cold start trips.

This is true. If you're that serious about mpg, don't use the heater. (But you could use your heated seats instead, if you've got those. Doesn't seem to have much impact on the battery).

Bottom line is, as most have noted, hybrids don't perform as well in cold weather. This isn't something unique to Ford. They still perform better than their non-hybrid counterparts. My long term MPG has dropped from 42 to 38 over the past few months, and it will probably go as low as 35, just like it did last year. When the weather warms up, so does the mpg!

Edited by mirak

I have seen my average drop from 38 mpg to 31 mpg, with my 12 mile commute. I drive to work at 5:00 am, and most of the last two months, the temperature's have been in the 20's. Unfortunately, I don't have leather, so no heated seat option. I use the heater, and suffer with the lower mpg. It's still much better then the 15 mpg, I get with my Expedition.

I'm getting similar mileage her in Central NJ. With this cold weather it's dropped. But as noted by others, it's still way better than the 17-19 I was getting on my old Buick.

Dan

I'm now down to 36.5. Maybe all the "global warming" has spoiled me, but it seems like this been a really COLD winter here in the heartland!

My peak summer cumulative (for 6 months or so, since the last spontaneous reset) was 45.8mpg. I bottomed out so far this winter to a low of 40.4 (haven't reset for about 10 months or so), now I'm back to 40.9 with some recent warming we've had over the prior months. It's just the way batteries work, since they are chemical they are affected by ambient temperature. I do try hard to maintain mileage during the winter, so as others have suggested I will avoid turning on the heater in favor of using the electric seat heater and gloves, until the engine has warmed up. Even in temps around 30 the car does go into EV mode within a mile or so, as in when I come to a stop. I also keep the A/C at a fairly high level during hotter periods here during the summer--set it at around 76 or so degrees when is high 90's or above ambient.

I'm still struggling w/ the decision to buy or not buy extended warranty policy w/ Ford. There are so many features on this car and I'm guessing they will be very pricey to fix, it makes me wonder if it wouldn't be wise. So far, knock on wood, so good. I've got around 24K miles on the car now.

Noel

The cold weather hit is not the HVB, it's cold, dense air and wet cluttered roads. Stiff lubricants, cold tires, warming up several hundred pounds of ICE, higher headwinds. So far at 70,000 + miles in the government test by Idaho National Laboratory's Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity, two FFHs have had no problems. That's only two cars though. Two 2005 FEHs completed their 160,000 mile tests with a lot more maintenance. See: http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml