Buster1

When Does the Car Actually Run Out of Gas?

after about 10 miles with 0 miles to E showing I added 16.1 gal so I had a little over 1 gallon left

Edited by rfruth

There is no way to know precisely when the car will run out of gas. The reason being that #1) the car is never perfectly level and 2) none of the systems used to measure the fuel level / consumption are completely accurate.

There can be 2 or 3 usable gallons of gas in the tank when you start to venture down a hill. At that point the fuel sloshes to the font of the tank and the pick-up runs dry. Out of gas. If you had been on level ground you could have gone quite a ways more. Because it is a liquid in a tank and the car moves about it is very hard to determine the difference between 99% empty and 100% empty.

The point is you shouldn't care about that difference. For several reasons you should fill back up before you get close to 100% empty.

Is there any good reason to drive it down to nothing, other than playing silly games with pump prices or fooling yourself into feeling good because some stupid number on the dash says you went "real far" on your tank?

(sorry for the harshness, I just can't quite understand the willingness to risk your safety (running out of gas on the road - bad for your health) and life of the car (run the fuel pump dry and Ford can refuse the warranty repair))

Jon

Then I suggest you stop at every gas station you pass... ;)

I just put gas in when the car tells me it's low.

You should drive as if the fuel gauge showed you only three levels: 1) A lot of fuel; 2) Some fuel; 3) Not very much fuel. You should gas up when you reach 3).

I've topped off 3 times when the DTE had just reached or was right around 0 with the following results:

15.5 Gals

16.7 Gals

16.1 Gals

The 2nd fill up was pretty close; dont push it. If you are near the DTE fill it up!

16.7 must be a record, how far did you go after DTE was 0 do you know ?

About 15 miles at 70 MPH; I pushed it a little close on a long road trip.

About 15 miles at 70 MPH; I pushed it a little close on a long road trip.

Just curious, but what is the point of doing this?

Ahh, good question. Would be cool if you could.

Less than 2 miles fully charged and usually less than 1/2 mile. Plan on only puling to the side of the road. It's not cool!

Today DTE = 0, went 10 or so miles after that, tank took 16.7 gal to fill (685 miles, was hoping for 700) :(

related question:

What happens when you run out of gas? Can you drive on HV power till that dies?

The question you should ask is "will running out of fuel void my warranty?" Yes it can, at least parts of it. The fuel pump can be damaged and running on EV until the batteries are excessivly low WILL damage them. This should only be done in emergency situations. Trying to get to the bottom of the tank can raise even more issues, sludge, so why even ask. Just fill-up...

I would think (don't know for sure thank goodness) that both Toyota & Ford would shut the car down if the high voltage battery got so low it might cause damage to itself, never heard of a HVB being jumped. As for running the tank so low 'sludge' is sucked in isn't the fuel pickup near low point in the tank that & the sucking the pump does would pick up any crap in the tank no mater the fuel level - I can see the lack of fuel pump cooling being an issue if low fuel, but this time of year your probably okay unless on a road trip.