Sign in to follow this  
FFHdriver

Praise for my almost perfect hybrid

After 14 1/2 months of ownership, I've only had two warranty repairs. That's better than any other car I've owned. The first was two days after purchase when the 12 volt battery was replaced. The second happened on Sept. 18th when i got a CEL. On Sept. 20th the dealer technician said I needed a new vapor purge control valve which was ordered. I was told that the part was on national back order. It finally arrived Nov. 6th and was put on today. That's a long wait. Thankfully the use of the car was not affected. It's a great car.

Edited by FFHdriver

After 14 1/2 months of ownership, I've only had two warranty repairs. That's better than any other car I've owned. The first was two days after purchase when the 12 volt battery was replaced. The second happened on Sept. 18th when i got a CEL. On Sept. 20th the dealer technician said I needed a new vapor purge control valve which was ordered. I was told that the part was on national back order. It finally arrived Nov. 6th and was put on today. That's a long wait. Thankfully the use of the car was not affected. It's a great car.

Totally agree. I've had mine since May 09 and no repairs of any kind. Set up similar to yours. I get a consistent 38mpg regularly. I guess I could try harder, but I'm very pleased with what I get now.

Dan

Had my 12 volt battery replaced, they (dealership service dept) said the original battery load tested fine but the inspection eye was red & I insisted so they did it (as it turns out needlessly) - now if I could get 700 miles out of a tank (little over 600 miles on this tank but distance to empty is 20 so not this time)

Had my 12 volt battery replaced, they (dealership service dept) said the original battery load tested fine but the inspection eye was red & I insisted so they did it (as it turns out needlessly) - now if I could get 700 miles out of a tank (little over 600 miles on this tank but distance to empty is 20 so not this time)

I took mine in because the eye was red, which on a Delco meant a problem. I assumed it meant a problem on a MC too. They load tested it, didn't tell me what they found but said come back the next day and they'd have me a new battery. Since then the eye has been red, green, and black but no problems. I don't worry about the eye color any more.

I've also owned my FFH (502A) for about 14 months. Zero repairs. And, Consumer Reports just rated the FFH the top family sedan for predicted reliability.

Everything works great except for two minor issues in cold weather. First, occasionally when I run the heater, I can hear a chirping from the HVAC (sounds just like a cricket), which is probably a squeeky fan bearing. Also, the brakes sometimes squeek in cold weather. I've not been able to repoduce either of these problems for a mechanic yet. I just don't have the time to run the car over to the shop whenever one of these problems arise. I think I'll check the forecast for a really cold morning and then just plan to take the car to the shop first thing that morning.

My only design issues are:

1. SYNC works Ok, but the command structure is clunky without reason. Just as one example, you have to say "phone" before you can say "call ____." Why? That's just stupid. What else am I going to use besides the phone to call somebody? The CD player?

2. No Homelink (I think this is added on 2011 model?)

3. No push-button start.

4. No LED headlamps.

Other than these minor gripes, this is an awesome car. Best I've ever owned. This car was an especially sweet deal with x-plan pricing and a $1,700 tax credit! And, I'm averaging about 42mpg.

I've also owned my FFH (502A) for about 14 months. Zero repairs. And, Consumer Reports just rated the FFH the top family sedan for predicted reliability.

Everything works great except for two minor issues in cold weather. First, occasionally when I run the heater, I can hear a chirping from the HVAC (sounds just like a cricket), which is probably a squeeky fan bearing. Also, the brakes sometimes squeek in cold weather. I've not been able to repoduce either of these problems for a mechanic yet. I just don't have the time to run the car over to the shop whenever one of these problems arise. I think I'll check the forecast for a really cold morning and then just plan to take the car to the shop first thing that morning.

My only design issues are:

1. SYNC works Ok, but the command structure is clunky without reason. Just as one example, you have to say "phone" before you can say "call ____." Why? That's just stupid. What else am I going to use besides the phone to call somebody? The CD player?

2. No Homelink (I think this is added on 2011 model?)

3. No push-button start.

4. No LED headlamps.

Other than these minor gripes, this is an awesome car. Best I've ever owned. This car was an especially sweet deal with x-plan pricing and a $1,700 tax credit! And, I'm averaging about 42mpg.

My VW Eos brakes always squeeked when first applied on a cold or rainy morning. After the next one or two stops they were quiet the rest of the day. I didn't worry about it. Few cars have LED headlights but that will change. I think they would be very expensive to replace if damaged, but I don't know what Prius charges.

Edited by FFHdriver

18 months here and I've had no mechanical problems whatsoever. I did have the dealer install the software update for the brakes, but everything else has been smooth.

6-Months and no real issues. I have not been back to the Dealer. My only complaints:

I do not like the "Green" cloth seat covers, would have preferred the same as a regular Fusion model. They seem very week, and already show wear.

My 12-Volt Battery has always showed the Red Eye in the window, but the car starts and the accessories work, so I have ignored it.

It probably should be green by now. Mine was red for several days after delivery. It has been green ever since. Maybe your dealer will replace it under warranty. Edmund's long term test car had an on the road breakdown allegedly due to a failed 12 v. battery. Many FFH's were delivered with "red" batteries due to shipment times and sitting on the car lot. They should recover to green after use. The "eye" , I believe measures specific gravity ( SG )of the battery electrolyte, the true measure of battery charge. You can unscrew the cell caps and measure the SG with a hydrometer. They are cheap at auto parts stores. If the SG tests OK, the "eye" system is faulty. A dormant 12 v battery should read between about 12.70 vdc fully charged to 11.70 discharged. With the car "on", it should read 13.00 vdc to 14.50. I used the car 1/2 hour ago and "off" the battery reads 12.57 vdc (about 87% charged) and "on", 14.02 vdc. The "on" voltage may vary to below 13.50 because of "smart" charging for improved battery life. One thing the "eye" and other systems don't test for is a weak electrical/mechanical internal defect in the 12 vdc battery. Energizing a starter motor used to naturally test this with the several hundred amp draw. This battery has no such draw. A slowly progressing failure may go undetected until complete failure occurs. Service during oil changes that test the 12 vdc battery are more important with this car. (The Edmunds car had just undergone an oil change and I wonder if a battery test there had any connection.)

Edited by lolder

According to the FOMOCO it is a deep cycle battery. Makes sense but it will test differently. Don't replace with a standard starting battery.

Jon

It probably should be green by now. Mine was red for several days after delivery. It has been green ever since. Maybe your dealer will replace it under warranty. Edmund's long term test car had an on the road breakdown allegedly due to a failed 12 v. battery. Many FFH's were delivered with "red" batteries due to shipment times and sitting on the car lot. They should recover to green after use. The "eye" , I believe measures specific gravity ( SG )of the battery electrolyte, the true measure of battery charge. You can unscrew the cell caps and measure the SG with a hydrometer. They are cheap at auto parts stores. If the SG tests OK, the "eye" system is faulty. A dormant 12 v battery should read between about 12.70 vdc fully charged to 11.70 discharged. With the car "on", it should read 13.00 vdc to 14.50. I used the car 1/2 hour ago and "off" the battery reads 12.57 vdc (about 87% charged) and "on", 14.02 vdc. The "on" voltage may vary to below 13.50 because of "smart" charging for improved battery life. One thing the "eye" and other systems don't test for is a weak electrical/mechanical internal defect in the 12 vdc battery. Energizing a starter motor used to naturally test this with the several hundred amp draw. This battery has no such draw. A slowly progressing failure may go undetected until complete failure occurs. Service during oil changes that test the 12 vdc battery are more important with this car. (The Edmunds car had just undergone an oil change and I wonder if a battery test there had any connection.)

1,000 miles. No problems, ave gas mileage 43 from delivery but we get 46 on the daily commute to work. So the average overall is creeping up. Wife loves the idea of hypermileing but the cars behind here don't seem to share her passion.

Addendum to my earlier post on the CEL. The CEL code was P2450 and the canister vent sensor assembly was replaced.