CometFlash

Hybrid in winter driving conditions?

Looking at picking up a loaded 2011 Fusion Hybrid (502a, etc).

The biggest item keeping me from making the leap is my concern over how will it perform during winter conditions in the northeast? It can get fairly brutal at times up here. But I'm tired of the dismal MPG in my '09 Platinum F-150. Even with the new EB engine for the F-150 in 2011, it won't get near the MPG of the Hybrid in city driving, which is 99% of my driving: 16 miles to work, and 16 from work, each day.

At any rate, that is neither here nor there. What I'd like to hear is from any of you who have gone through a winter or two with your Hybrid Fusions. How does it handle? Any bad slippage issues? Get stuck? Can't make it up hilly areas? Etc? I'm so used to throwing my F-150 (owned 4 of them since 1996) into 4WD and have never had even the slightest hint of an issue getting stuck, sliding around, etc.

Real-world winter driving impressions? :shift: Thanks!

Last winter in NJ was pretty bad compared to past years. While we don't venture out in the middle of storms, I had no driveability issues. Traction control worked fine. Tires didn't slip. All in all a typical FWD car with Traction control.

Dan

Never had a traction problem when we drove it Keystone, Co last winter for a week of skiing. It's a heavy car, with good weight on the front traction wheels. My only complaint was the mileage dropped to 35 in the sub-freezing weather instead of the usual 40 mpg we are used to. City driving if anything seems to improve the mpg, even with a lot of stop lights. Of course the FFH is not a 4WD truck, so if ground clearance and traction on steep snow covered hills are issues, you might want to consider a Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid. Much more storage space, better ground clearance, but mileage closer to 30 than 40 mpg. And be aware that you can't pull a trailer with an FFH.

Went from a 4WD/AWD Expedition to the FFH. I had heard that there were issues with the Prius and snow when it came to traction. Braking, T/C, and mode switch issues. I have not had a single problem here in MN. If I park the car wet the brakes can sometimes be a bit grabby the first time they are used when I leave at the end of the day but it will do that in the Summer too. Overall I am pretty pleased with the Winter performance.

Jon

I also concur with the above statements. We had a decent amount of snow in MI last year and I cannot complain about how my FFH handled. Even getting over the snow banks created from city plow trucks were no problem with the proper momentum. Traction was great on ice/snow, no slipping or sliding around if you set your expectations/driving style properly with the conditions outside.

I do feel your pain on trucks versus a FFH. I had two F-150s before my FFH and do love the ride of trucks, but the MPGs always seems to trump the ride when I think it through after seeing a friend of mine's 2010 F-150.

I added some Michelin snow tires. I expected some slippage with the OEMs (but never really tried out that theory). I spent a lot of time in every winter condition, on the freeway mostly, and had absolutely no problem.

Kim

Bumping this thread because I'm new here, have owned the FFH for three days now, and am driving into the San Bernardino mountains next month. (In previous experience, there will be snow.)

Was thinking about renting an AWD for the trip, but now it sounds like the car would be up for it. And I really want to find out for myself.

So now I'm wondering if I should invest in snow tires for a 3 day trip, or just brave it out and be comforted by the fact that if I get stuck, my seats are heated?

The FFH is not an SUV, so if the snow is deep, stay put. The roads should be plowed and the car will handle just fine.

Dan