Sign in to follow this  
MikeS

$4 wash safe for Paint & Antenna & Spoiler?

Agree w/ bbf2350. Great websites for detailing info. Also, as a previous owner of a detailing business, I can tell you those automatic carwash facilities will scratch the paint on ANY car. We saw it all the time...people brought their cars to us asking us to make it shine like new again after years of neglect and automatic carwashes. This was sometimes possible with an expensive procedure involving claybars, buffing, polishing and waxing. But some of the cars' finishes were so scratched up that only a paint job would fix them. While the carwashes that use high speed cloth "spinners" are the worst offenders, even the "touchless" ones aren't good for paint. There are 3 reasons for this. One, they all employ some system of high pressure water, which essentially beats the dirt particles into your paint. Yes it removes MOST of the dirt, but its the equivalent of sandblasting a building. You may not notice the scratches at first, but if used enough times you will. Two, they often use very harsh detergents to remove stuff like bird poo, tar, sap, etc. These detergents strip any protection you may have on the car, making it even more vulnerable. Three, (possibly the biggest reason for scratches) is the towel guy at the exit. Automatic carwashes NEVER remove ALL the dirt from your car, and toweling it off afterwards just rubs those tiny dirt particles around all over your car. The only way to prevent scratch and swirl marks on your car is to HAND WASH it, and wax it at least twice a year. If you must go through an automatic carwash, make it a touchless one, don't go when your car is extremely dirty, and above all, AVOID the towel guy! Just wave and drive on by. Air drying your car may result in some water spots, but it won't do any further damage to your paint.

Well said, well said. Take it from an expert.

Eagle1 once ran a series of print ads. One of them was entitled, " I had a nightmare. I dreamed I paid somebody to wash my car." That's what I go by.