Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pandy

HID's, Fog HID's and LED strip question

I'm not a fan of adding HID in lamp assemblies not designed for them. There are scientific and engineering reasons for that, but good luck finding that info amongst all the BS they feed you in order to sell you something(I won't bother lecturing), and I hate getting blinded while driving. It's your car and your decision. But, I hope you read some of the posts to be careful of the wattage of the HIDs you use, as I guess they are way hotter than halogen, and if you go too high could melt and otherwise damage the light housings.

Also, you will lose the proper functioning of your fog lights, as they are supposed to create a sharply cut off beam that goes straight out under the fog, and with the HIDs, they will probably just throw light everywhere and more brightly illuminate the fog ahead of you, defeating their purpose. It's a known issue the fogs are pointed way too low from the factory, and once you re-adjust them to the proper height, the clouds will part and the angels will sing!

As far as the headlights I've heard people adjust them up a half-turn and that helps.

Fog lights I'm not a follower of this show, found it while searching how I should aim my foglights so they will function properly as foglights, not ego-lights..

Yeah Akirby, I know. But I must try. I try to bite my tongue usually, but I would hate to see _8940 melt his headlights so soon after getting his first new car. :banghead:

Coolbulbs.com FAQ

Scroll around 2/3 down to the "Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?" part.

I found the technicals on the problem with HID in halogen assemblies before, but it's hard to find again, as 99.99999999999999999% of what comes up for 'problem with HID' search is stuff about people who can't get their installations to work right. The jist of it was the halogen headlamp assy reflector is designed to project light from where the halogen filament lights up within the assy. The HID bulb (or those awesome LEDs) light up in a bigger or different area than the halogen, and now the reflector doesn't project the light where it was designed to any more. Probably a big reason they have to be factory installed to be legal, and why your fogs wouldn't be good foglights anymore and make it harder to see in the fog, but I guess they'd look cool. I think they look cool too, for photo ops and car shows.

Anyways, do what you want, it's a free country after all. It's just that my love affair with cars and machines is more about appreciation of the engineering in the design, and understanding how and why things are designed and function. So to me, aftermarket HIDs as they are today are a bad idea and waste of my money, especially when you also remove some reliabilty and functionality from something you REALLY need to work, like when you want to go somewhere and it's dark out. (Why I also enjoy poking fun at MPG increasing gimmicks, dual-aero windshield wipers(Are you old enough to remember those?), and stuff like that.) I think you can spend your money on better stuff.

The most I have considered are those Sylvania Silverstar or Xtravision, and I hesitated at first hearing how some people had them burn out really fast, but I think Akirby pointed out if you keep your greasy fingers off them when you install them, they should last a good long time, so I may just yet do it.

Plz don't think I'm just being a hater. I do hate that I'm sure it seems that way, but like many other people, I'm just discussing my thoughts like anyone else does, it's just that my thoughts aren't popular just now! :headspin: You asked in open question if the forum thinks it's a good deal or not, and I gave my answer for your pondering. You're a lucky person to get a brand new car for your first car, and I'd hate to see you ruin it. My gearhead coworker wound up selling a Camaro he had modded and pampered for years to a guy who bought it for his son. He was a little hesitant to sell it to him for that reason. It looked brand new inside and out, and ran way better. (By modded, I mean performance cam, heads, headers, etc.) The kid totalled it less than a week later racing someone... I wonder what dad bought him next.

For your entertainment:

Amazon.com

Chrome is awesome. They are only missing the 3 or 4 aero blades jutting up in the middle. Guess those are out of style.

also if lincolns have hid why cant fusion.

Because the Lincoln's HIDs are designed and engineered by the factory for that specific car and have a dedicated headlamp housing. Not to mention that they're covered by the factory warranty. No aftermarket kit can make those claims. If you have an electrical issue with that part of your wiring, you're on your own, and factory replacement wiring harnesses are very expensive.

For your entertainment:

Amazon.com

Chrome is awesome. They are only missing the 3 or 4 aero blades jutting up in the middle. Guess those are out of style.

These go nicely with lighted windshield washer nozzles. :hysterical2:

Coolbulbs.com FAQ

Scroll around 2/3 down to the "Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?" part.

I found the technicals on the problem with HID in halogen assemblies before, but it's hard to find again, as 99.99999999999999999% of what comes up for 'problem with HID' search is stuff about people who can't get their installations to work right. The jist of it was the halogen headlamp assy reflector is designed to project light from where the halogen filament lights up within the assy. The HID bulb (or those awesome LEDs) light up in a bigger or different area than the halogen, and now the reflector doesn't project the light where it was designed to any more. Probably a big reason they have to be factory installed to be legal, and why your fogs wouldn't be good foglights anymore and make it harder to see in the fog, but I guess they'd look cool. I think they look cool too, for photo ops and car shows.

Anyways, do what you want, it's a free country after all. It's just that my love affair with cars and machines is more about appreciation of the engineering in the design, and understanding how and why things are designed and function. So to me, aftermarket HIDs as they are today are a bad idea and waste of my money, especially when you also remove some reliabilty and functionality from something you REALLY need to work, like when you want to go somewhere and it's dark out. (Why I also enjoy poking fun at MPG increasing gimmicks, dual-aero windshield wipers(Are you old enough to remember those?), and stuff like that.) I think you can spend your money on better stuff.

The most I have considered are those Sylvania Silverstar or Xtravision, and I hesitated at first hearing how some people had them burn out really fast, but I think Akirby pointed out if you keep your greasy fingers off them when you install them, they should last a good long time, so I may just yet do it.

Plz don't think I'm just being a hater. I do hate that I'm sure it seems that way, but like many other people, I'm just discussing my thoughts like anyone else does, it's just that my thoughts aren't popular just now! :headspin: You asked in open question if the forum thinks it's a good deal or not, and I gave my answer for your pondering. You're a lucky person to get a brand new car for your first car, and I'd hate to see you ruin it. My gearhead coworker wound up selling a Camaro he had modded and pampered for years to a guy who bought it for his son. He was a little hesitant to sell it to him for that reason. It looked brand new inside and out, and ran way better. (By modded, I mean performance cam, heads, headers, etc.) The kid totalled it less than a week later racing someone... I wonder what dad bought him next.

In my experience the Sylvania Xtravision do not have a short life and do give better light. I had some on a car for over 3 years before I traded the car. I would put some on my Fusion if it weren't such a PITA to change the bulbs.

Edited by FFHdriver