Beachboy

IS SYNC A TOTAL WASTE FOR ME?

Or just maybe you could join the rest of the world and come in out of the cold and get just a tad tech smart. You may just like it.

I bought my new 2010 Milan off the dealership lot and wanted a sunroof, so it came bundled with the SYNC option. Since I'm a middle age guy and not into techie toys (I don't use cell phones, Ipods, or downloaded music), I'm wondering in my case if SYNC is a total waste of money and something that will never get utilized? In all honesty, I'd trade SYNC in a heartbeat for the remote start option if I had it to do over again. But is there anything remotely useful about SYNC for those of us that don't use cellphones, Ipods, etc?

You already have Sync, so why not use it? Get a tracfone w/bluetooth, and be safe in an emergency. The phone is cheap (no contracts or monthly fees) and it works. You might find yourself using some of the other features (like FREE traffic, weather, and directions for 3 years).

I don't drive at night -- period. My poor eyesight limits me to daylight hours only. Even with my landline phone, I receive one phone call a week and I maybe dial out once a month. I use my office phone for 99% of my phone calls. I just don't have the need to communicate with humankind like the youngsters do. I used to carry a Trac Fone for emergencies, but whenever I tried to use it, the battery was dead or the time had expired, so I threw it out. I had something like 2,500 minutes on it, because I had to keep buying the airtime cards every 90 days, but never used any minutes. In my 45 years of driving, I've never broken down on the road -- just lucky I guess.

As for SYNC being a selling point when I go to sell the car, I really doubt it. My cars are usually ready for the junkyard when I get rid of them, and the dealer only allowed me $300 trade on my 1999 Mercury I traded in. Doubt if SYNC would have increased its value. From what I read in the SYNC owners manual, it only works for the first three years after the car is purchased anyway.

I'm just surprised Ford would include such a complicated, high tech thing like SYNC in a car brand marketed primarily towards senior citizens.

You seem to be laboring under a number of misconceptions. Sync is integrated into the electronics of the car. It's not a subscription service that expires or stops working any more than your air conditioning does after three years. I think you're confused with Sirius satellite radio. The two have nothing to do with each other.

WRT your statement about being surprised that Ford would include "such a complicated a high-tech thing like Sync in a car brand marketed primarily towards senior citizens," That makes no sense. First of all Ford does not market primarily to senior citizens and Sync has proven to be popular with all age brackets and has helped Ford's sales numbers. Sync may be considered high- tech by you , but it's the opposite of complicated. it's been commended for its ease of use. It's been reported that cars equipped with Sync move off dealer lots twice as fast than those without it.

You can't find a use for it? That's fine, but you're in the minority. Don't question what has proved to be a resounding success for Ford and the majority of the car-buying public.

In your first post, you said you were a middle- aged guy. Now you say you've been driving for 45 years. So have I and I'm 63. I got my license at 18. So unless you got your license at birth, you're roughly my age.

The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54
So, which do you want to be? You consider yourself middle- aged, but then you question why Ford would include Sync in a car for senior citizens. Which category are you in?

Ford the record I and my 60 year-old wife love Sync. Aside from the Bluetooth capabilities, we connect an ipod, listen to music that we downloaded to USB thumb drives and record CDs onto the jukebox. Sync was one of the many Ford/Lincoln features that influenced these two "old farts" to stay with FoMoCo B)

You seem to be laboring under a number of misconceptions. Sync is integrated into the electronics of the car. It's not a subscription service that expires or stops working any more than your air conditioning does after three years. I think you're confused with Sirius satellite radio. The two have nothing to do with each other.

WRT your statement about being surprised that Ford would include "such a complicated a high-tech thing like Sync in a car brand marketed primarily towards senior citizens," That makes no sense. First of all Ford does not market primarily to senior citizens and Sync has proven to be popular with all age brackets and has helped Ford's sales numbers. Sync may be considered high- tech by you , but it's the opposite of complicated. it's been commended for its ease of use. It's been reported that cars equipped with Sync move off dealer lots twice as fast than those without it.

You can't find a use for it? That's fine, but you're in the minority. Don't question what has proved to be a resounding success for Ford and the majority of the car-buying public.

In your first post, you said you were a middle- aged guy. Now you say you've been driving for 45 years. So have I and I'm 63. I got my license at 18. So unless you got your license at birth, you're roughly my age. So, which do you want to be? You consider yourself middle- aged, but then you question why Ford would include Sync in a car for senior citizens. Which category are you in?

Ford the record I and my 60 year-old wife love Sync. Aside from the Bluetooth capabilities, we connect an ipod, listen to music that we downloaded to USB thumb drives and record CDs onto the jukebox. Sync was one of the many Ford/Lincoln features that influenced these two "old farts" to stay with FoMoCo B)

IIRC you do start paying for Sync after three years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC you do start paying for Sync after three years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Only for Sync Services, for which you need a cell phone: a device the OP doesn't own. So it's a moot point for him.

Is there a monthly fee to use SYNC?

There are no monthly fees to use SYNC's hands-free features, 911 Assist, and Vehicle Health Report, aside from the regular fees you already pay your wireless phone provider for your particular calling plan.

SYNC's Traffic, Directions and Information service is available as a complimentary 3-year subscription* for owners of new vehicles equipped with the service.

Renewal subscriptions and subscriptions for second owners, or owners who wish to add an additional phone to the service cost $60/year.

*Message and Data Rates May Apply.

You must have really wanted that sun roof to put up with having to purchase a SYNC system along with it. If it makes you feel any better think of the sun roof costing $400.

If a SYNC system is never used, does it still exist?