Sign in to follow this  
sgibbers17

2010 Fusion Turbo?

I have a 2010 Fusion SEL AWD V6 3.0L and would like to put a turbo or supercharger in it. I am looking for a kit that I can bolt in myself and would like to keep the engine mods to a bare minimum.

Edited by sgibbers17

If you wanted a performance car you could of gotten a great deal on a Pontiac G8, or GTO. A coworker has a GTO and he's up to over 500 HP at the rear wheels. Had to get street legal drag tires so they would stick. Now that's performance!

If you wanted a performance car you could of gotten a great deal on a Pontiac G8, or GTO. A coworker has a GTO and he's up to over 500 HP at the rear wheels. Had to get street legal drag tires so they would stick. Now that's performance!

If I wanted a Pontiac I would have gotten a Pontiac. I got the Fusion because I wanted a Fusion.

akirby

Unless you plan on replacing the transmission also - don't bother. If you're really serious - check out Noble.

Why would I need to replace the transmission? The AWD Fusion has the same Transmission that is in the 2010 Taurus SHO that has 365HP. This will not be a race vehicle; this will be my very day car and I normally drive conservatively. I just want some more power for the occasional fun.

Wrong. The V6 Fusion has the 6F35 tranny. The SHO has a specially designed 6F55 built specifically to handle the higher torque. But don't take my word for it - roll the dice and see how long it lasts.

I found this on Wikipedia

Ford claims the 6F is designed to handle 300 hp (224 kW) and 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m)

I have found that the Taurus SHO does in fact have the 6f55 and the fusion has the 6f35. I am having trouble finding other sites with HP and Torque information. I would like to be able to verify this information with other sources.

If this information is correct I should be able to add about 60 hp and 60 ft·lbf safely. Like I said I would like to get a little extra power out of my fusion and my goal was to get it up to about the 300 hp range. Unless there are other ways to add a significant amount of HP a small turbo or supercharger is my only option. The only other things that I can think of are a new intake and exhaust, but I see that only gaining me about 20 hp give or take a little.

Keep in mind that Ford thought it necessary to put in a stronger transmission (Aisin) in the Fusion Sport and other Ford's (6F50) that use the 3.5L, and that only has 23hp more than the 3.0L. That doesn't sound like a lot of safety margin to me.

Isn't it possible that ford used a different transmission on the 3.5L because the 6f35 physical would not fit on the 3.5L? If someone could post some sources that would collaborate what Wikipedia says the 6f35 transmission can handle. That would greatly help me in my decision of what I am going to do.

Oldguy16

According to steeda, if you add an intake, exhaust, and a chip, you should make about 300hp, (45hp more than stock) how true that is, not really sure.

Has anybody confirmed this ~45hp gain over stock with these upgrades?

Edited by sgibbers17

If I wanted a Pontiac I would have gotten a Pontiac. I got the Fusion because I wanted a Fusion.

Why would I need to replace the transmission? The AWD Fusion has the same Transmission that is in the 2010 Taurus SHO that has 365HP. This will not be a race vehicle; this will be my very day car and I normally drive conservatively. I just want some more power for the occasional fun.

I haven't really done any research yet for Fusions and turbos, but if you're willing to put in the work, you can put a turbo on anything. It depends on how much time and money you want to spend. With the Fusion being a normal car and not a performance-oriented car, I wouldn't hold my breath for turbo kits to come flying out of shops around the country. You'll have to put forth the ingenuity to create your own monster. No one offered a pre-built big-dog turbo setup for my 94 Mustang GT that I had, so I came up with my own setup. I designed the fuel system, came up with the turbo setup and let a shop bend, cut and weld the turbo kit, I picked the turbo, WG, BOV, etc. You can't just pick a 1000Hp turbo kit from anywhere.

So, I've considered going turbo on my 2010 3.0 Fusion when the warranty expires. If you come up with something sooner, let me know ;) If you need any pointers or advice, don't hesitate to write.