Sign in to follow this  
TonyPSchaefer

Where is the Engine Block Heater?

The window sticker says that there's an Engine Block Heater. When I asked about it, the salesman said, "yeah, Ford's putting them in all their cars now." When I asked where it was he said, "I don't really know but you'll never use it." Three people came out and looked but no one could find it. He asked that when I do find it I should tell him so he'd know.

First: Is it true that Ford's putting EBHs in all their cars?

Second: Where exactly is the EBH? Pictures would be appreciated.

Third: Does anyone else think that was a really poor reply on his part?

1) - Canada that's pretty much guaranteed, or at least a very good idea to have one.

2) - The plug is on the Passenger side snugged up against the front grill. Took me half a day to find it properly, but basically go from the Hood Latch towards the passenger side and you'll see the cord. it should be snug against the front of the car and in it's own clip. I can take a pic tonight and send it.

3) - Yes that is a poor reply if you ask me. On this model you'll have to take the cord from it's clip and "pinch" it between the hood, unless you can get the dealer to route it to the bottom front.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tony,

I agree with everyone that you were given a very lame answer.

But to add my 2 cents, (Assuming that in this forum we are discussing the hybrid) I would definitely suggest that anyone living in an area where the outside temp is regularly under 32 F (or so) and their car is not in a garage, that they order the block heater.

It is not that expensive, and having a warm engine when you start out in the morning, you will certainly save on gas. This is because your engine will not have to run to just warm up the water to heat your cabin. In fact, a lot of us have learned that, if it isn't too cold, the heat can be turned off and the seat heaters (Love those puppies) can warm your butt without running the engine. And they do not use that much energy.

BBF - Since the block heater is not electrically connected to anything in the car, do you think it is feasible to order the factory block heater and have it installed in my hybrid? Since here in NJ it regularly went below 20 at night this past winter, I would have loved to have one on a timer to heat up the engine before I went to work in the AM. Just wondering if it is a major job. I have no idea where it physically goes on the engine to do "its thing".

:beerchug:

Edited by rpreuss

Hi Tony,

I agree with everyone that you were given a very lame answer.

But to add my 2 cents, (Assuming that in this forum we are discussing the hybrid) I would definitely suggest that anyone living in an area where the outside temp is regularly under 32 F (or so) and their car is not in a garage, that they order the block heater.

It is not that expensive, and having a warm engine when you start out in the morning, you will certainly save on gas. This is because your engine will not have to run to just warm up the water to heat your cabin. In fact, a lot of us have learned that, if it isn't too cold, the heat can be turned off and the seat heaters (Love those puppies) can warm your butt without running the engine. And they do not use that much energy.

BBF - Since the block heater is not electrically connected to anything in the car, do you think it is feasible to order the factory block heater and have it installed in my hybrid? Since here in NJ it regularly went below 20 at night this past winter, I would have loved to have one on a timer to heat up the engine before I went to work in the AM. Just wondering if it is a major job. I have no idea where it physically goes on the engine to do "its thing".

:beerchug:

I purchased the 2 OEM parts from a Ford dealer on line. They are not aftermarket parts; they are sold as replacement parts for factory installed parts. Your local dealer can order them and install them. Someone on this site (another post) had it done for $300 installed. I refuse to pay local dealer parts prices and saved $100. However, I can't find out how to install them. I even purchased the complete Fusion tech CD off of e-bay (great deal for $24.00) but after 1+ hours of searching, I can only find a close-up pic of engine plug already installed and can't even tell what part of the engine it is!! I assume it is in a freeze plug but can't be sure. No instructions on how to "replace a defective" heater on the CD. I would love someone who has one installed (purchased car with it) to take a couple of pics of where it is installed and how the cable is routed to the front of the car. My mechanic says ford won't give him access on how to work on the car without him paying oodles of dough (which will only give him Fusion info). If all else fails, I will have the stealer install it before next winter. It will make a huge difference on MPG with a warm engine in the winter. I drive 9 miles to work and the EV just kicks in (if at all) the last 1/2 mile of the drive. My MPG dropped to 32 over the winter.

I purchased the 2 OEM parts from a Ford dealer on line. They are not aftermarket parts; they are sold as replacement parts for factory installed parts. Your local dealer can order them and install them.

That's what I figured on doing. Do you have the Ford part numbers?