Sign in to follow this  
deo1929

Clear coat or powder coat on factory alloy wheels

Hey all,

I bought the set of Milan wheels from DJE (previously known as "Desert Fusion") and wondered if the clear on the wheels was a clear coat or powder coat. The stripper seems to take quite a while to penetrate the clear, but it does eventually all come off. it's taking 2 coats of aircraft foaming stripper sitting for 20-30 minutes before it starts to lift. I'm just curious. A local media stripping company said it would be $25 a wheel if clear and $75 a wheel if it was powder coat!!!! I think I'll probably make another trip to O'Reilley's and get some more cans of the aircraft stripper. It may take a longer time to strip the clear, but for even $25 a wheel, I can buy a lot of stripper.

When I get the clear removed, I'm going to polish and buff the machined surface of the spokes and outside rim. That should really make them pop. Plus I found a set of Ford Five Hundred center caps on eBay and got them for under $20 with shipping. It will look great when I get them done

BTW... anyone interested in my old SE steel wheels and wheel covers, let me know. We can work something out. it will probably be another couple of weeks before I can get them on the car, barring any unforeseen circumstances

Edited by deo1929

I hope you're not cursing me every time you make a trip to O'Reilleys.

I don't know Dave. You may end up kicking yourself in the buns by the time I get done. I have 1 wheel completely stripped and a 2nd one about 90 % there. You would not believe the sheen on the spokes! It's about 1.5 hours per wheel and a can of stripper so far. I picked up the buffing stick and will play around with the buffing. My hope is that the spokes and rim will look chrome on the face and will contrast with the rough casting between the spokes. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow as a before/after.

Here are some pix of the Milan wheel clear coat stripping in progress.

I would say the luster is pretty stunning...and I haven't done the polish and buff yet before the clear coat reapplication. Note the reflection difference with the stereo plug sitting on the spoke. I'm pleased so far with the progress. I have about 3 hours so far in them. I suspect the polish and buff will take at least 2 hours per wheel. But where could you buy a set of wheels like this with near chrome spoke finish. I've even thought about spraying the matte surface between the spokes black ala a Magnum 500.

So Dave....whatcha think??? And NO...you can't have them back :hysterical:

I'm leaving to go on vacation for several days. I'll start tackling the other 2 wheels when I get back.

post-5601-127129729851_thumb.jpg

post-5601-12712973105_thumb.jpg

Edited by deo1929