Sign in to follow this  
SailCar

40 Miles of no EV

It sounds like reconditioning. Going into reverse cancels the reconditioning for a while but if it wasn't finished, it may go into it again until the computer thinks it's finished.

Yesterday when I left work, I noticed the car acting strange.

Doesn't quite sound like it, but I wonder if you had it in "L" by mistake. I frequently do that--not sure why.

I've got 20K on my early build FFH and it has gone through 2 reconditioning cycles (that I have noticed). The second one was during the cold weather and it was MUCH longer than the first. My entire commute home + was in recondition mode and that is about 30 miles. So this sounds very much like normal. I'm not sure if the temperature is a factor or not but like I said the second one was much longer than the first.

Jon

It sounds like reconditioning. Going into reverse cancels the reconditioning for a while but if it wasn't finished, it may go into it again until the computer thinks it's finished.

The Atkinson cycle ICE is really "lugged" most of the time in hybrids. I guess without EV assist it was more so. Did it miss or buck? It shouldn't although the Owners Guide says you should not worry about an occasional "knock".

You need to "Google" "Atkinson Cycle" and go to Wikipedia for the best description. In all these hybrids, the engine construction is conventional except for perhaps a slightly offset crankshaft for better power stroke geometry. They close the intake valve late in the compression stroke to create the Atkinson Cycle "effect". The computer controls the transmission so as to run the ICE at the lowest RPM for the power required with a very open throttle position. It is run just on the verge of "bucking" that you could do with old manual transmissions. This creates near diesel thermal fuel efficiency. The HVB conditioning is controlled completely by the computer and analyzes and balances the cell voltages. You will see different operation of the EV system then. These events are rare but normal. If you put the car in reverse while one of these is underway, it is canceled as the car backs up only by EV mode and conditioning inhibits EV mode. They don't want you to be unable to back up. The computer will re-initiate the conditioning later to finish it. This is all to try to make good on the Owners Guide claim that the HVB should last the "life of the car". They really think they will.

Two questions.

1. What does Reconditioning do, and how does it work?

2. How does the Atkinson Cycle ICE on the Fusion work? Does the Crankshaft connect direct to the connecting rods, or is there an additional rod between the two?

i think the ICE ia an Atkinson Cycle but not an Atkinson engine where the intake and exhaust valve openings are much longer. This results in a very narrow power band at a constant rpm. Here's a cutaway of the engine. Doesn't show it all but gives you a pretty nice perspective:

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/2008hybridvehicles/ig/2008-NY-Auto-Show---Hybrids/Ford-Hybrid-cutaway-inverter.htm

Here's another link to a more detailed cutaway and it's comparison to the Escape:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f13/introduction-ford-hybrids-20777/

Dan

That was the original idea but it's too cumbersome and expensive and the variable delayed intake valve closing accomplishes almost the same thing. Very clever. Running an Atkinson engine efficiently at high throttle and low rpm allows little instant excess power for acceleration. That's where the electric traction motor MG2 comes in. When you accelerate, the additional power comes instantly from MG2 and the computer increases the ICE RPM as quickly as possible with the eCVT to meet the power demand and reduce the transient power being produced by MG2. That's why it's important to keep a steady throttle to minimize EV assist which is inefficient. You can't use this technique in a non-hybrid because it would feel very sluggish. You can see how the combination of an eCVT, an Atkinson ICE and an EV mode working together, solves the shortcomings of each item almost completely. It still wouldn't work very smoothly without VERY sophisticated computer algorithms in the software to manage all this. This is where Ford is ahead.

Edited by lolder

OK, again, what exactly is 'reconditioning'?????

It's mentioned in the Owners Guide on page 7. It says that a small change in drive-ability may be noticed. It's actually a rather large change in drive-ability in that no HVB discharge is allowed and EV operation is inhibited. The HVB goes to "F" charge and stays there a short time (10's of minutes?) and then returns to normal (1/2 charged) slowly and EV mode capability returns. It's rare but normal. The computer looks at all the 204 cells periodically and if it senses a specified difference in one or more cells, it enacts the re-conditioning event. It is almost always successful. If it is not, a Message Center warning may appear and the dealer may be able to restore normal cell balance with additional measures. Since the vehicle only operates in reverse in EV mode, selecting "R" will cancel a re-conditioning event underway so as not to prohibit reversing. The computer will probably re-initiate the re-conditioning shortly after it's termination.

Other types of batteries can also be "re-conditioned". Deep cycle lead acid batteries are sometimes "equalized"; a similar process.