Sign in to follow this  
Zack

Lack of service warnings

My daughter has FFH from October last year. She is driving it 150km every day for work and generally speaking likes it much. Today she went for first service. Instead at 8000km she hit 13000 and yesterday I asked about first service and found in the book that we are quite late. She says: "why car didn't tell me?"

Might be poor excuse but really why?? All cars we have or recently had do that. BMW, Jetta TDI, Honda ... For example my Odyssey checks oil quality and that info goes from 100% to 15% which can be checked at any time in display. At 15% message pops up telling you that service is needed and it tells you what kind of service (like B2). It continues to count down to 0% with specific pop-up warning every time you start the car.

So FFH being so advanced car doesn't have that? Strange. We don't have model with NAV but still there are plenty of displays around to show important info about service needs.

In the U. S., the first oil service interval is at 10,000 MILES. If the oil life was set at delivery to 100 %, a "Change Oil Soon" message should illuminate with 10 % life (1000 miles) remaining. 13,000 km is about 8000 miles. I have 9300 miles and have not seen the message yet. It's possible the brake software update might reset the oil life as it does the Long Term Economy mpg. The FFH has no quality measurement, only mileage but that is quite high. Oil usually does not wear out but becomes contaminated. Sophisticated filters, oil and piston ring sealing have extended oil change intervals dramatically.

Edited by lolder

In the U. S., the first oil service interval is at 10,000 MILES. If the oil life was set at delivery to 100 %, a "Change Oil Soon" message should illuminate with 10 % life (1000 miles) remaining. 13,000 km is about 8000 miles. I have 9300 miles and have not seen the message yet. It's possible the brake software update might reset the oil life as it does the Long Term Economy mpg. The FFH has no quality measurement, only mileage but that is quite high. Oil usually does not wear out but becomes contaminated. Sophisticated filters, oil and piston ring sealing have extended oil change intervals dramatically.

I am happy to report that you are right and I was wrong. Book really says that and we didn't see that message on display. Book even says how to setup different levels of "Change oil soon" warning. What can I say, it's a beauty! .... I suck, FFH rules!

Still can't get over my mistake not to take NAV ...

Edited by Zack

I have the 501 without Nav and a $100 TomTom. Since I don't have the Nav., I don't miss it. That's a really expensive thing to go wrong that's only in the 3/36,000 warranty. Updates are expensive too.

The "Change Oil Soon" light came on shortly above 9,000 mi on my FFH. I also got a warning for low air pressure, which turned out to be a nail that was leading to a slow leak -- but fortunately not a flat. Not sure what other warnings are programmed in.

The "Change Oil Soon" light came on shortly above 9,000 mi on my FFH. I also got a warning for low air pressure, which turned out to be a nail that was leading to a slow leak -- but fortunately not a flat. Not sure what other warnings are programmed in.

At 9500 miles mine just came on too. Oil change scheduled at the dealer for Friday.

Dan

For reference, my 4-cylinder Pontiac G5 warning would come on at about 7500 miles. Since the FFH's ICE isn't quite as active, I find it interesting in a positive way that the mileage is "predictably" higher on its oil life. Surely, all the manufacturers are using the same oil-life formula for the monitor.

For reference, my 4-cylinder Pontiac G5 warning would come on at about 7500 miles. Since the FFH's ICE isn't quite as active, I find it interesting in a positive way that the mileage is "predictably" higher on its oil life. Surely, all the manufacturers are using the same oil-life formula for the monitor.

Manufacturers are different. GM and some others vary the oil change interval depending on how the car is driven. The FFH apparently does not and goes by odometer reading.

The Owners Guide lists the messages available.

Edited by lolder