spacenomyous

FFH Oil Change

Oil Change Experience  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Have you performed a vehicle oil change?

• Yes, on a hybrid.
    • Yes, on a motorcycle.
    • Yes, on a non-hybrid vehicle.
    • No

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but I was wondering if anybody has performed an oil change on the Hybrid yet. I purchased my FFH in June '09 and got 12k miles on it so far. i know the fluid schedule is in my manual, but I don't have it with me to check. I was tooling around the net and found a few places that said "Oil change intervals are expected to be at 10,000 miles because the engine does only half the work in this hybrid configuration". So I was wondering if anybody has actually performed an oil change on this vehicle yet. I'm looking to do it this Tuesday on my own, as I don't expect it to be any different than a regular car; but I was wondering about the type of oil and the type of filter to use. Anybody got any experience or suggestion?

Also, since I did buy my car new and have had it for 9 months, I'd be happy to answer any questions or share my experience with you guys.

There are a number of threads here on the oil changes. Very similar to a regular car. They just have panels below that you need to unbolt to get access to the filter and drain plus and are clearly marked.

I was going to do mine but Ford has a Works Special where oil change, filter and tire rotation for $29.99 with mail in rebate. Since

I'm coming up to my first oil change interval (10,000 miles), I'm going there on Friday. Isn't worth my time or expense to do it myself for that amount.

Dan

My advice is to always have the 1st oil change at the dealer. I watch as they do the work and ask questions. I may choose to do the next ones later. A number of times the dealer has found minor issues on the first change.

Jon

Oh man, thanks guys. I did a search in the forum before I posted but I didn't find anything. However, I just did a search on Google and found a post in this forum on resetting the oil sensor, lol. The link to the manual was great; and I guess I missed the coupons for Works Special, was that online or a mailer?

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but I was wondering if anybody has performed an oil change on the Hybrid yet. I purchased my FFH in June '09 and got 12k miles on it so far. i know the fluid schedule is in my manual, but I don't have it with me to check. I was tooling around the net and found a few places that said "Oil change intervals are expected to be at 10,000 miles because the engine does only half the work in this hybrid configuration". So I was wondering if anybody has actually performed an oil change on this vehicle yet. I'm looking to do it this Tuesday on my own, as I don't expect it to be any different than a regular car; but I was wondering about the type of oil and the type of filter to use. Anybody got any experience or suggestion?

Also, since I did buy my car new and have had it for 9 months, I'd be happy to answer any questions or share my experience with you guys.

The manual says, IIRC, change no later than 6 months. You are way past due. I used MC Synthetic 5W-20 and a MC filter. My dealer changed mine.

The manual says, IIRC, change no later than 6 months. You are way past due. I used MC Synthetic 5W-20 and a MC filter. My dealer changed mine.

The manual list for normal service oil change + filter - 12 months or 10,000 miles or 200 hours of ICE.

Dan

200 ICE hours, how are we supposed to tell when that is ? (no oil change here yet)

200 ICE hours, how are we supposed to tell when that is ? (no oil change here yet)

Well in my simple mind the way I looked at it is if you were driving 50 mph for 200 hours you would go 10,000 miles. Since I'm driving 10,000 miles before I change the oil and I'm not doing 50, in fact much less, a large part of my time is ICE off. Like idle time, waiting in traffic, bumper to bumper. I admit it a very rough calculation but works for me. Mainly because the dealers would have you changing the oil half the recommended time and the Jiffy Lube even sooner.

Dan

The manual list for normal service oil change + filter - 12 months or 10,000 miles or 200 hours of ICE.

Dan

You are correct. I was referring to the Special operating conditions schedule that I use, which says 5,000 miles, six months, or 200 ICE hours, which ever comes first.

Edited by FFHdriver

Hey guys,

Do yourself a huge favor, download the owners manual and save it as a .pdf that you can search using control f. You can even email it to yourself and you'll have it everywhere that you have internet access.

"Oil Life...An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center."

(P. 276 2010 Fusion Hybrid (hfv) Owners Guide, 1st Printing USA (fus))

My FFH dash didn't display "oil change required soon" until 11K miles. About 11.5K miles my FFH dash display changed to "oil change required."

I think a lot of drivers with OCD need to calm down about changing their car's oil too frequently at 3K miles etc. Mobil One has 25K mi. synthetic oil. BMW recommends oil changes @ 30K mile intervals after 1st oil change @ 10K mi. A lot of T.V. stations with fleets of extremely expensive Camera trucks choose 25K intervals. I know executives in the automotive industry @ GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, etcetera that NEVER EVER change their car's engine oil.

Wallmart has the correct Motorcraft filter FL910 for $3.67 & suitable 5 qts 5W-20 oil for $9.50 - $11.50.

There are 2 access panels on the underside of engine, marked something like "drain plug access" "oil filter access" remove those. You need a 13mm socket for the drain plug & an oil filter wrench.

Avoid using synthetic oil until 30K miles. Synthetic oil reduces friction. Using synthetic oil too soon will extend the vehicle break in period, and cost you lost performance because engine parts have not worn in and seated optimally.

Do you remember the old BMW commercial that proved that a BMW with 30K miles on it had more power than a brand new BMW? This is the reason. The 30K engine parts had seated properly.

I realize that Ford went to the "World Class Standard" about the same time as Honda and the machined parts' tolerances are very precise. Still things need worked in, to become one, rather than a collection of individual parts.

P. S.

Don't forget to reset the engine oil life

1. Turn key to run position (start vehicle).

2. Press setup v.

3. Press setup v again to scroll down to vehicle settings.

4. Press reset > to choose vehicle settings.

5. Press setup v 4 times to scroll down to oil life.

6. Press reset > to choose oil life.

7. Press reset > to choose set the "Oil LIfe Minder" to 100% and continue to hold for at least 2 seconds.

There are even some good tips at this silly link

French Maids change oil.

I believe the (2010 Fusion Hybrid (hfv) Owners Guide, 1st Printing USA (fus) p 37, & 43) could be edited to include more detail about certain settings that require the operator to “hold reset button for at least 2 seconds to confirm”, before they will reset.

p 37 “While Language is highlighted, press RESET to select it and move right to display the following:

• English • Francais • Español

Press SETUP to scroll through the list and highlight one of the choices. Press RESET to pick the highlighted item and hold reset button for at least 2 seconds to confirm.

p43

• Long Term Fuel Eco: Resets the long-term fuel economy value displayed on the shutdown trip summary screen to 0.

Press SETUP to scroll through the list and highlight one of the choices. Press RESET to reset the highlighted item and hold reset button for at least 2 seconds to confirm.

P.P.S.

If you are in a Toyota that is speeding out of control think KILL SWITCH ! TURN OFF THE IGNITION !!! Then turn the key back to the accessory position so the steering wheel isn't locked. The emergency brakes & steering will work. It just won't be power steering or power brakes.

Edited by GREGGDARBY

My dealer responded to my inquiry about whether the brake software upgrade reset the oil life counter with a phone call today. I THINK he said they're not sure but since it resets the display, it might. He also said there was a driving conditions input factor to the mileage. I pointed out to him that the Owners Guide doesn't mention that but we have reports here that show variability in the mileage when the message appears so maybe he is correct.

Do yourself a huge favor, download the owners manual and save it as a .pdf that you can search using control f. You can even email it to yourself and you'll have it everywhere that you have internet access.

"Oil Life...An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center."

(P. 276 2010 Fusion Hybrid (hfv) Owners Guide, 1st Printing USA (fus))

My FFH dash didn't display "oil change required soon" until 11K miles. About 11.5K miles my FFH dash display changed to "oil change required."

I think a lot of drivers with OCD need to calm down about changing their car's oil too frequently at 3K miles etc. Mobil One has 25K mi. synthetic oil. BMW recommends oil changes @ 30K mile intervals after 1st oil change @ 10K mi. A lot of T.V. stations with fleets of extremely expensive Camera trucks choose 25K intervals. I know executives in the automotive industry @ GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, etcetera that NEVER EVER change their car's engine oil.

Wallmart has the correct Motorcraft filter FL910 for $3.67 & suitable 5 qts 5W-20 oil for $9.50 - $11.50.

There are 2 access panels on the underside of engine, marked something like "drain plug access" "oil filter access" remove those. You need a 13mm socket for the drain plug & an oil filter wrench.

Avoid using synthetic oil until 30K miles. Synthetic oil reduces friction. Using synthetic oil too soon will extend the vehicle break in period, and cost you lost performance because engine parts have not worn in and seated optimally.

Do you remember the old BMW commercial that proved that a BMW with 30K miles on it had more power than a brand new BMW? This is the reason. The 30K engine parts had seated properly.

I realize that Ford went to the "World Class Standard" about the same time as Honda and the machined parts' tolerances are very precise. Still things need worked in, to become one, rather than a collection of individual parts.

P. S.

Don't forget to reset the engine oil life

1. Turn key to run position (start vehicle).

2. Press setup v.

3. Press setup v again to scroll down to vehicle settings.

4. Press reset > to choose vehicle settings.

5. Press setup v 4 times to scroll down to oil life.

6. Press reset > to choose oil life.

7. Press reset > to choose set the "Oil LIfe Minder" to 100% and continue to hold for at least 2 seconds.

There are even some good tips at this silly link

French Maids change oil.

I believe the (2010 Fusion Hybrid (hfv) Owners Guide, 1st Printing USA (fus) p 37, & 43) could be edited to include more detail about certain settings that require the operator to “hold reset button for at least 2 seconds to confirm”, before they will reset.

p 37 “While Language is highlighted, press RESET to select it and move right to display the following:

• English • Francais • Español

Press SETUP to scroll through the list and highlight one of the choices. Press RESET to pick the highlighted item and hold reset button for at least 2 seconds to confirm.

p43

• Long Term Fuel Eco: Resets the long-term fuel economy value displayed on the shutdown trip summary screen to 0.

Press SETUP to scroll through the list and highlight one of the choices. Press RESET to reset the highlighted item and hold reset button for at least 2 seconds to confirm.

P.P.S.

If you are in a Toyota that is speeding out of control think KILL SWITCH ! TURN OFF THE IGNITION !!! Then turn the key back to the accessory position so the steering wheel isn't locked. The emergency brakes & steering will work. It just won't be power steering or power brakes.

All correct, but Ford has coupons that make doing your own oil change much easier. If you sign up for Owner Advantage and go to www.genuineservice.com Ford offers the WORKS package after rebate it's $29.99. It includes oil and filter change, tire rotation and all fluids topped off. So for $29.99 - 11.50 = 18.49 you get the work done, Best $18.49 I ever spent.

Dan

The only problem with that is the Owner's Advantage points only apply at the individual dealerships, they're not interchangeable. The dealer where I bought my car is 30+ miles away and the closest dealer is 10 miles away and they don't participate in Owner's Advantage. So it's cheaper for me to do the oil changes myself.

Ah, didn't know dealers could opt out. I too bought mine from a dealer 30+ miles away but my local dealer is 2 miles away and does participate.

I know I was going to do my own but when I tried to use my ramps thet were too high to drive up on and I didn't feel like jacking up the car. Then I tripped over the special and for me, it was a no brainer. I've been doing oil changes and basic car maintenance for over 40 years and it get harder and harder to climb under the cars.

Dan

As part of the maintenance schedule, front wheel end play check is required on every one. This is because the front wheels provide all the effort required to move the car and almost all the effort to stop it so the bearings and shafts get a lot of stress, especially during braking. Don't neglect that if you do your own oil changes. My dealer says they have a tool to check it. Maybe if you're very experienced you can judge it yourself.

Yes, all FWD vehicles put a lot of stress on the front wheels and bearings but the hybrids put even more because almost 100 % of moderate braking in 2010 hybids is regenerative and done by the front wheels with torque on the drive-axles. I don't know whether alignments include end play checks and I don't know what the specs are for this car. When I get the first 10,000 mile check at the dealer, I'm going to ask for the measurement and what the service limits are.

My change oil soon light came on at 9500 (5 % life remaining) miles exactly. You can cancel it for that drive cycle by pressing setup, then cancel.