Sign in to follow this  
2HtoHe

New FFH, odd behavior after startup

I am a brand new owner of a Fusion Hybrid -- now about 10 days old...

Have you taken your car to the dealership?

3) I cannot turn on the heated seats for either driver or passenger. In fact in the first trip I took my family out, I was unable to turn on seat warmers for the entire 15 minute ride. But usually after a few minutes, I can turn the heated seats on/off as I wish.

4) This just started 2 days ago -- every time I start the car, the fan (climate system fan) turns on at full blast (and it is very loud.) During the startup period, I cannot turn off the climate system using the climate power button.

These problems all occur no matter where I start from, nor drive to. During the startup period, my mileage is typically not higher than 20-25 mpg. Since most of my trips are only about 15 minutes, spending the first 5 at low MPG really puts a hurt on my average mileage....

Dealer visit for 3 and 4, mainly for the inability to turn off the climate system for 4.

20 - 25 mpg is bizarre. I live in a very hilly area and with the temperatures in the 30s, I rarely dip below 33 mpg. But I think heavy acceleration as a chronic routine could dip the MPG into the low 20s (going by a very long and unusually quick ascending and high hilly road I have to get on).

Edited by lrymal

Depends on what mileage numbers you are looking at--instant, trip, or long term. With the engine on at start up---20 to 25 is normal for instant.

Well, yeah---true. I mean, I could hit as low as 5 MPG first starting out of the driveway, and as high as 60+ mpg when letting up on the accelerator at highway speeds.

There are FIVE mpg indications; the "Long Term Fuel Economy" that appears at the bottom of the trip summary on the right instrument panel after every shutdown, the "Average mpg" that is displayed in an info screen, The instantaneous mpg gauge on the panel, the trip summary mpg, and the bar graph display. You should learn what each one means. The climate control "knows" what the humidity is and will automatically defrost/defog when required except for the heated rear window. There are many things that make the ICE run, climate control use is one. It should always be able to be turned off.

Yes, I was assuming that -- so I had started turning the climate off and leaving it off most of the time.

Unfortunately now I can't turn it off for a couple of minutes. But even then, there is a one or two minute period AFTER I am able to -- and do -- turn off the climate, during which I still cannot get it to switch to EV mode, and do not see regenerative braking working.

For #4, what button do you use to turn off the system? I use the power button listed as #5 on page 66 or #11 on page 68 of the owners manual. It always works on my car.

Edited by FFHdriver

The climate control in my 501 package will always turn off instantly. With it off, after 1/2 minute or so of initial ICE run, if you slow the car under 14 mph, it will USUALLY go into EV mode. You can keep it In EV mode with light acceleration until the SOC of the HVB starts the ICE. You have to slow to below 14 mph again to shut off the ICE if the SOC has improved enough. The ICE will not run to warm up the catalytic converter as it usually does when driving in this manner in moderate temperatures (observed down to 40 F.). You can improve your short trip mileage this way if you are able to keep a very light foot on the pedal and keep the climate control off. Cracking the sun-roof and one rear window open gives a good, relatively quiet ventilation. Sometimes my short, 2 mile round-trip downtown doesn't even warm up the ICE to "C".

Hey, if it's real hot or cold, punch "Auto" and forget it. In "Auto" in mild, very humid conditions it also defogs automatically. The rear defogger appears to be completely manual. On my car, that heats the side mirrors too. This is one smart car and you have to work real hard to improve on it's "automatic" performance.

2H,

I've said about all I can in my own posts regarding all things weird. I hope it's just something that passes for you. Regardless of what happens, make sure you start a log by emailing things to your sales person and Service Manager. Keep after them and don't take .....we haven't heard of any issues.....from them at all. All the shops in Ford are tied by one central database now and they can't hide behind that much longer.....especially with forums like this out there. There is more information at our fingertips than ever before in history and it doesn't take a computer genius to find it.....I'm living proof of that.doh.gif

Good luck and I might suggest....take your time and read through all of the topics surrounding weird things and bring it to the proper peoples attention.

Other wise........ this might be you banghead.gif

Edited by oldschool1962

Here, I believe, are reasons the ICE will run:

1) Speed over 45 mph.

2) Power demands above the available EV power

3) Cabin heating demands

4) ICE warm up (Catalytic converter) and system checks

5) Low HVB state of charge(SOC)

6) HVB "conditioning"

7) More ICE operation in "L" (no fuel flow when used for braking)

8) Very high or low outside temperatures to provide heating or cooling of system components

Does anybody have any additions or corrections?

All of these things apply so it's quite complicated.

I have always seen 4) occur at first start for at least 20 seconds after the vehicle is put in motion. After that to be in EV, you must be below 47 mph, have low power demands within EV capabilities, have no heating/defrosting requirements, an adequate HVB SOC, no HVB conditioning event underway (it's a rare occurrence), have no requirements calling for the ICE in "L" and the temperature must not be very hot or cold.

It appears you may be able to avoid an extended period for 4) if you get below 14 mph and accelerate and operate only in EV until HVB state of charge starts the ICE. You have to again go below 14 mph to get back to EV after the ICE stops. After a few ICE cycles, the EV mode will operate at any speed below 47 mph if the other conditions are still met.

Edited by lolder