Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloSabres

Can a sub work with factory radio?

Well, the solution would depend on the specific issue. Not hearing anything is a symptom... Your subwoofer could be blown, or simply disconnected. If you could answer a few questions, we could narrow in on the issue.

Who installed the subwoofer? If a professional, did they recommend any additional parts?

Was the equipment new? if not, was it tested before the installation - different than saying it worked in your last car.

What type of amp, and where is it installed? Can you see if it is turning on?

To add a subwoofer, requires an aftermarket amplifier. That amp can get signal through an adaptor called a Line Output Converter. This is installed either at the stereo, or near one of the speakers. It will have speaker wires going into it, and RCA's coming out and leading to the amp.

Hope this helps.

I would take it back to the shop that installed it and ask them to take a look at it. Running through a converter usually provides a good result. Check to make sure you have not adjusted the fader or balance, as that may have an impact.

Your amp will not have a "volume" control. It will have a gain control on it. I would be careful turning that up to make it louder... It is there to match the input signal, and an aftermarket stereo usually does a much better job than a factory stereo through a converter.

Your amp will not have a "volume" control. It will have a gain control on it. I would be careful turning that up to make it louder... It is there to match the input signal, and an aftermarket stereo usually does a much better job than a factory stereo through a converter.

Yes it could be a number of things heres a list of things to check

1. the settings on the amp are turned up (gain and level)

2. that piece that the dealer charged you for is a hi-low coverter...check to make sure that it is still connected

3. Check that the amp has power (most amps should have some sort of illumination when powered) maybe the ground or power wire came loose...maybe the wires that go to the sub came loose...(my old cars sub was not bolted down and if i took the turn too fast the sub would move and make the wires come out...

4. check the wiring...maybe there is a short somewhere (chip or cut in the wire)

5. Check all of the fuses...for a top of the line system there should be a fuse in the power wire right were it connects to the battery terminal and probably 2 or 3 on the actual amp.

6. check the radio settings...my old system was connected to a stock face and if the balance was set all the way to the rear the sub would cut off...play with the faders Front, Back, Left and Right and see if that brings it back to life...

these are just a few suggestions...good luck...