DTJJK96

First Display Glitch

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading about oldschool1962 problems with his vehicle and thought maybe it was just an isolated case until my wife said last night that she had a display problem with her vehicle just yesterday. I am wondering if it is the start of something similar to oldschool1962's problems.

She has had no problems until this occured. What she said happened was she was in a parking lot and wanted to get the attention of another couple she wanted to talk to so she honked the horn. She then got out of the car to talk to them and when she got back in the car the display had changed and the average MPG's had gone to zero. She reset the display to what she had set it at before and came home. She has an appointment next week to get the brake situation taken care of and will mention it at that time to the service people. I have been reading this forum and have read of others having this glitch happen to them.

My question is, is there a sevice bulletin that anyone knows about which my wife should mention to the sevice people when she brings her vehicle in next week?

Thanks, in advance for any replies.

If I may.....I'm no expert at what's going on but I am an expert at being told that no one else has complained to any Ford dealership about this problem. I've seen other posts about it so I know someone is telling a bold faced lie. Yet......That's what I keep hearing from the Service team as I think that's what they are also being told.

With that said........Kinda sounds like something I just heard recently in the news.......... We didn't hide anything, we just didn't share information very good. Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhtttt.

Take your vehicle in and explain that there is another vehicle that was purchased at Haley Ford in Chester Virginia. The Service Tech's name is Steve Mayo and the Service Manager is Jim Ribeiro. Ford Techs keep saying they have not had any other complaints and if you do this and document it here.....they can't say that anylonger. If your screen is glitching I can say that it will not stop at just that. Show them the video....second one is better than the first and also what else we have been experiencing in our posts here. Maybe it will help you but I don't think it will hurt.

Understand too that from what I have learned...... the IC screens are....simply put........just screens that display what ever input it is sent to them so they generate no data or telemetry without the modules. so the problem is more deeply rooted. I just hope they figure it our befor some problem that Ford and we will end up regreting surfaces.

What was your production date? Just curious if it might have some bearing on things. Mine was July 2009.

A note to the rest of you is to also use this info t let them know. If anyone has heard that there have been no otgher reported instance....especially since October 27, 2009....which is when I first brought the issue to the dealer and the day after I purchased the car..........they can't use that excuse anymore.

Good luck on your side with things.

Edited by oldschool1962

That makes me wonder......August and September last year had a work week that ran from one month to the next. My car may have been on the assembly line in August the same time yours was but finished the next? Just looking at all options here.

I would think that the whole run of cars at that time could be suspect and problematic. Makes me wonder about all the folks that don't play here......How many have said something and it just wasn't "communicated well" with other dealerships and Ford. If they are the same run......It won't be too much longer they can keep it a secret. The DW is getting ready to notify the local investigative journalist so........

we'll see. Good luck with things yourself

Is the door 09/09/09, or just 09/09? They may not put it down to the specific day on the door itself.

09/09 just right of the word date in the upper left corner of the sticker in the door jamb.

The brake update resets the dash display, long term mpg and maybe the oil life warning. I believe Oman's dealer told him the brake update fixed the random resets. If you had a reset since the update, I guess they haven't found the cause yet.

I don't remember the TSB number for the reset issue, but they did say that the brake update included all the previous software update TSBs. The problem with the TSBs is that sometimes the descriptions don't seem to include all the symptoms that you might see. I only had the dash reset happen once and it hasn't happened since the update. With low numbers like that it is impossible to tell if the update fixed the problem or if I just haven't had it again. All I know is that the other than the one reset my car has been flawless and I'm at 15K miles.

Jon

The brake update resets the dash display, long term mpg and maybe the oil life warning. I believe Oman's dealer told him the brake update fixed the random resets. If you had a reset since the update, I guess they haven't found the cause yet.

I had the brake update at 9000 miles and I now have 9300 miles and the "Change Oil Soon" light has not come on. The book says it should come on with 10% (1000 miles?) remaining. What are peoples experience with that oil light?

Edited by lolder

I had the brake update at 9000 miles and I now have 9300 miles and the "Change Oil Soon" light has not come on. The book says it should come on with 10% (1000 miles?) remaining. What are peoples experience with that oil light?

I'm experiencing the same problem. After the braking TSB the system reset, and now my oil life indicator is decreasing at a faster rate than before (maybe it's been modified to reflect driving conditions rather than just a mileage counter?).

I'm experiencing the same problem. After the braking TSB the system reset, and now my oil life indicator is decreasing at a faster rate than before (maybe it's been modified to reflect driving conditions rather than just a mileage counter?).

Nothing happened to my oil change countdown timer after the brake software fix. The light came on at 9500 miles and it said there was 5 % left. It's at 9574 now and still says 5 %. It will probably shift to 4 % at 9600 miles. The light may come on at 5 % remaining, not 10 % as the book says.

Nothing happened to my oil change countdown timer after the brake software fix. The light came on at 9500 miles and it said there was 5 % left. It's at 9574 now and still says 5 %. It will probably shift to 4 % at 9600 miles. The light may come on at 5 % remaining, not 10 % as the book says.

I reset mine to 50% shortly after my 5,000 mile service to have a second reminder of the 10,000 mile service. After approximately 700 miles, my oil life indicator is stating I have 37% life remaining.

I experienced the MPG reset once last August. Started the car after parking it in a garage, and it reset to zero -- I hadn't made any changes to the setup after I left the dealership with my new car in June.

This happened just that once, and I now have over 10K miles on the car. Except for that reset, my FFH has been completely bug free.

Edited by Juris

My FFH has the exact same problem. It's happened multiple times. I would say atleast 20-30 times. Sometimes only the short term (bar graphs instead of the leaves) will reset, and sometimes the whole dash will reset to factory defaults, clearning the long term fuel and everything else... It's really annoying my wife (she drives it). We have yet to have the brake flash recall done yet, so I cannot attest to that fixing the problem. We do have an appointment in late April to have the recall done. My vehicle was manufactured 08/09.

Nick

I've now had a second display glitch.

I first got a reset when the car had about 3000 miles on it last summer. My mpg dropped to 0 even though I had not reset it.

About week ago, now with 10,500 miles on the car, and after the "service update" had been performed (a month ago), the same thing happened for the second time. Back to 0 mpg.

Then a few days ago, the setup switched from Empower to Engage without any prompting by me. The first time that has happened to me.

I'm not bothered much by this but it's still annoying.

The only commonality I can see between the first and second time I got the reset was that in both cases I had turned the key on, put the car in reverse, and hit the brake just after the car started rolling but before the mpg gauge had run up to the prior level (ca. 35.0 mpg). So possibly under some circumstances this reset might be more likely to occur. If my hunch is right, then I should wait a few seconds after putting turning the key for the mpg to run up, and then put the car in reverse. And thus the need to hit the brake (as often happens in backing out of a parking lot stall) wouldn't stop the regular cycling of the gauge.

But with an N of 2, I'm just guessing what went wrong. And I have no explanation for the setup change from Empower to Engage.

I've now had a second display glitch.

I first got a reset when the car had about 3000 miles on it last summer. My mpg dropped to 0 even though I had not reset it.

About week ago, now with 10,500 miles on the car, and after the "service update" had been performed (a month ago), the same thing happened for the second time. Back to 0 mpg.

Then a few days ago, the setup switched from Empower to Engage without any prompting by me. The first time that has happened to me.

I'm not bothered much by this but it's still annoying.

The only commonality I can see between the first and second time I got the reset was that in both cases I had turned the key on, put the car in reverse, and hit the brake just after the car started rolling but before the mpg gauge had run up to the prior level (ca. 35.0 mpg). So possibly under some circumstances this reset might be more likely to occur. If my hunch is right, then I should wait a few seconds after putting turning the key for the mpg to run up, and then put the car in reverse. And thus the need to hit the brake (as often happens in backing out of a parking lot stall) wouldn't stop the regular cycling of the gauge.

But with an N of 2, I'm just guessing what went wrong. And I have no explanation for the setup change from Empower to Engage.

I have a 2010 Fusion HEV that I've had for a month or so. I've noticed some quirks with the display. No resets like those discussed above, but when the fuel economy display is set to bar graphs instead of leaves, the graphs will all occasionally show the max at start up instead of retaining the history from the last drive. I wonder if this has anyting to do with turning the igition on while the display is loading.

The display on the dash for average fuel economy is also occasionally out of sync with the avg fuel display on the Nav display. It's often out 1/10. My dash displays 6.1 L/100k and the Nav displays 6.2L/100k. It's almost like it may be a rounding issue for how mileage is being calculated. I wonder if the information is derived from the same source. My average on the dash will change by 1/10 and it take a while for the NAV to catch up. Eventually it does, but that can take a while ... days.