Carnivore

Maps?

Not as far as I can tell and Navteq doesn't even list the 2010 Ford Fusion (let alone the Hybrid) on their website and contacting Ford has yield no answer. I've also sent Ford a snail mail letter regarding this and still have not received a reply.

Well I have been working on this very problem my self. My Fusion was built on July 2009. I have the map data base 1.0x. I was talking to another Fusion owner and his maps are listed as 2.0x. I asked the dealership how do you get the new map update. Well they didn't know. So a day or two went by they told me to contact the number 1-888-NAVMAPS. Well that was a joke. All they said was that yes indeed there is an update that came out in November but its up to Ford to distirbute the update. She told me that they have nothing to do with it. MORE RUN around. So I called the dealership back they were baffeled on it. Ford told them that number and now they are not sure what to do.

If anybody comes up with a solution let me know, so I can fill in my Dealer. If I come up with something I promise to let all of you know.

I am still trying to figure out how the update is done. Do we buy a disk and load it to the hard drive or is it done through the USB port. What about the dealer having to do it through a module upgrade port.

No clue and the dealer has no info either. They are really frustrated themselves with FORD and there lack of knowledge/answers.

Tazzboo

This post sparked me to resend my letter today, this time I mailed out 3 copies, 1 to the Ford CEO, 1 to the Ford CS VP and 1 to generic Ford. This time I sent them directly to the coorperate office instead of using the P.O. Box, will see what happens.

This post sparked me to resend my letter today, this time I mailed out 3 copies, 1 to the Ford CEO, 1 to the Ford CS VP and 1 to generic Ford. This time I sent them directly to the coorperate office instead of using the P.O. Box, will see what happens.

Howie411

I love it. Feel free to add me to your letters as a person of concern to this problem. I went so far as today telling my dealerships Service manager that hey you guys look like you have EGG on your face. I mean they can't even get answers to the questions from Ford on the update. The only thing they see on their parts order book is a $800 dollar disk. This disk being a Shop disk. However, they have no clue to what the disk updates nor do they know how to update the car.

I give Ford Credit for building a nice car. But I give them an F for training and support of their dealerships on the technology they are putting in their cars. The one Hybrid tech service guy they have, told me that as far as the info on the Sync stuff they are given the same info we are given in our owners manual. Well as you know parts of the manual are pretty vague. I have found several mistakes in it to so far.

Please Keep me in the loop and I will do the same for you.

Tazzboo

Edited by Tazzboo

Right now the $800 disc is the only thing you can do. Order it, stick it in your CD slot and it will download it's updates to the hard drive.

Ford and Navteq have had some commercial arguments and right now it's the customers getting screwed.

There is a 75 message thread about this problem on the syncmyride owner to owner forums.

The problem is common to everyone with the 2009-2010 Nav HDD system. If you fool the navtec site and tell them you have a 2009 F-150 HDD system, (or a Lincoln MK?) they will tell you that there is a new release and to contact your Ford dealer. Others report the dealer wanting to charge $800 for the DVD.

Obviously, there is a tremendous amount of "Lack of knowledge" on the part of FORD, between their dealers and customer service.

Here is the link for the thread.

Syncmyride thread

I just called FIVE dealers in my area and none of them had a clue on how to update the nav system. So with that I called back to Ford Customer service and spoke to the nice lady that got me started with a part number. I told her that apperently the word hasn't gotten out on how to update the nav. Case in point calling five dealers with none of them having a clue on how to update the units. I asked her if she was in my position what would she do? She forwarded me on to Customer Relations Person by the name of Becky. Well Becky couldn't belive the lack of knowledge by the dealer either. She told me she was going to call my dealer directly and speak with them about how to update the nav. She could not however tell me over the phone. Has to go through Dealer. BUMMER

On another note. I was able to get a little info on Pricing. Maybe this will help others out there maybe not. They told me there is three pricing points for the update disk. These pricing points were as follows for this part number AA5Z10E987A :

LP$330.00 JVR$231.00 WD$194.00

What does the letters mean, I have no clue nor did the lady that told me.

The only other info I could get out of them was that it would take three hours to update the unit. WOW.

She still couldn't tell me if I could do the update with the part or if it had to be done by the dealer. They just wouldn't let that out of the bag.

Knowledge is Power guys hope this helps others out there.

Tazzboo

Edited by Tazzboo

The thing that annoys me is Garmin, Tom Tom etc, you an buy a lifetime map deal for $100 bucks. Why in the world should we have to pay $300+ for 1 map update. When I had my Mini Cooper, it was the same thing but we used to do a group buy. (cough).

The thing that annoys me is Garmin, Tom Tom etc, you an buy a lifetime map deal for $100 bucks. Why in the world should we have to pay $300+ for 1 map update. When I had my Mini Cooper, it was the same thing but we used to do a group buy. (cough).

Exactly. I bought a lifetime update for my Garmin, and my truck (factory nav) will NEVER get updated again... Nor will I ever buy a factory nav again until the prices for updates drop drastically. NAVTEQ makes the maps for Garmin, so what gives? http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/111607.html

We had Navi in the Odyssey we traded in on the FFH. I think the update disc was 165.00 but we didn't pay for the Navi system because of year end credits and sales still it would have added only 900.00 to the sticker price had we.

Now the Navi system in the FFH costs us what?..............$2500.00 and they can't figure out how to get new versions to us in any form let alone cost effectively. I figured that it was as simple as the disc we had for the Odyssey but after talking to Tazz today it ain't. I guess from what I've read here too.

Seems that Ford really screwed the pooch on this FFH. It seems to have been rushed into service and everything that wasn't thought of in advance.......which seems top be just about the whole fricken car (especially in my case)............is starting to come home to roost with them.

I started a topic about the radio neededing to be replaced. They did so but it seems that I lost my 2.0x Navi system in the process. Now I have a 1.0x and they have spent the better part of a week trying to locate a 2.0x anywhere. Found one but everyone has their doubts that it's actually the correct radio/navi/climate/whateverthehellelsethefluckingthingcontrolls.

My point is basically from a comment the Service Advisor made about trying to locate it. And I quote........"There are production runs and not one prodution run is the same it's not like that have all these High dollar radios that you bought sitting on a shelf. There are different radios for every car (I think she meant Fusion) and the ones that don't have all the powerstuff you wanted are different from the High dollar system you had to have"

A bit confused over the whole ramble thing she did but Tazz can reaffirm that she's a...........terrific person with her.........in the .........place at times.

Anyhow the whole concept that seems to be unfolding about this car has pushed me further down the road to...........finding a local quarry for the thing and seeing if it can fly.

Mayeb I'll talk to tazz and invest in the Upgrade and use a friends shop to do installs of them for a few bucks a piece. I think the least Ford could do is get the mess straightened out and give everyone their first two updates for free or the lifetime update charge that was mentioned....as long as it's reasonable like the Garmin........is probably the best option. But I guess any way they can stick ot to us as consumers.............banghead.gif finger.gif

soapbox.gif Rant over....soap box tucked neatly under desk.....for now.

Ok, so my 2nd letter didn't get an answer either so I sent a 3rd one but this time by email and sent it to like 10 different addresses and i got a call from Ford's Executive office and the very nice lady I talked to is looking into the map update situation.

Ok, so my 2nd letter didn't get an answer either so I sent a 3rd one but this time by email and sent it to like 10 different addresses and i got a call from Ford's Executive office and the very nice lady I talked to is looking into the map update situation.

Howie411 I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Well I finally got an answer to the updates for the GPS. Its just like another poster posted earlier you simply purchase the two DVD's and install it yourself. Now the kicker here for me was I payed $330 dollars and some change for said two disk. It took about a week for the disk to come in. Once the disk came in I had a question about the version label that was listed on the disk. Well I was informed by NavTeq that I did indeed have the latest version.

I went over with him the troubles that I had about getting the disk and etc. The guy said why did you do that you could have just gotten them from us. For $199 dollars. I said how, as of last week I couldn't and that I had spoken to his company directly. He said let me put you on hold. He came back and said that as of that Monday they were allowed to sell the disk directly to us. I was like now you tell me after I paid $330 dollars for them. I double checked and tripled checked with him, he assured me he was correct. I said well you can't get them through the listing on the web site. He said he would get with IT and have that fixed.

So for all of you looking for the update CALL NAVTEQ directly and ask. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than going through FORD.

Tazzboo

Thanks for the info, but I'm not paying $200 for a map update, or at least not my first one when the Maps should at least have been the latest when I got the car. I have a good feeling the executive office will do right, the email I sent went to like 5 different executives. What is the map version they sent you though just curious? And does 1 disc have the gracenote updates?

Howie411 I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Well I finally got an answer to the updates for the GPS. Its just like another poster posted earlier you simply purchase the two DVD's and install it yourself. Now the kicker here for me was I payed $330 dollars and some change for said two disk. It took about a week for the disk to come in. Once the disk came in I had a question about the version label that was listed on the disk. Well I was informed by NavTeq that I did indeed have the latest version.

I went over with him the troubles that I had about getting the disk and etc. The guy said why did you do that you could have just gotten them from us. For $199 dollars. I said how, as of last week I couldn't and that I had spoken to his company directly. He said let me put you on hold. He came back and said that as of that Monday they were allowed to sell the disk directly to us. I was like now you tell me after I paid $330 dollars for them. I double checked and tripled checked with him, he assured me he was correct. I said well you can't get them through the listing on the web site. He said he would get with IT and have that fixed.

So for all of you looking for the update CALL NAVTEQ directly and ask. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than going through FORD.

Tazzboo

Could you please post the version label that Navteq printed on the disc? Thanks

Could you please post the version label that Navteq printed on the disc? Thanks

The version labeled on on the disk said version C1. The question I had was when I went to get the key from the web site they said I had a key for version C2. Thats why I had called and asked what gives. They assured me that when I put it in the drive and saw version 2.0x I indeed had the most current version.

The version that was listed on the GPS when I put it in the drive said 2.0X. I had Version 1.0X before.

The Gracenotes are on a Second disk yes Howie. It updated them to version 1238. I belive I had something like version 1049 before the update.

Howie I agree with you on the price. It's an OUCH. I purchased our car back in September so I didn't have as much pull for a fight to get it for free.

Tazzboo

Just got a call back from the Executive Office at Ford. The lady assured me that 2.0x was the latest and she didn't have a time frame for 3.0x and also said that the reason the portable systems get map updates so often is because they don't go through strick QA checks like the Ford ones (though a almost 2 year time gap between maps on a portable vs the ford seems a bit excessive) She told me she would contact me when a new version is available.

Just got a call back from the Executive Office at Ford. The lady assured me that 2.0x was the latest and she didn't have a time frame for 3.0x and also said that the reason the portable systems get map updates so often is because they don't go through strick QA checks like the Ford ones (though a almost 2 year time gap between maps on a portable vs the ford seems a bit excessive) She told me she would contact me when a new version is available.

On a slightly different note, and not to hijack the thread, I was looking into the GraceNotes Database update, and according to the GraceNote website:

B. Device updates, including car navigation systems.

1. Updates provided only through your device developer.

With different devices, each hardware developer probably uses a different way of providing updates for customers. There are a variety of reasons why developers need to do this (different methods to update, sizes of database, and frequency of updates). We recommend you write to the company who built your device and ask for help. They built the product, and they can tell you how they're providing updates for you.

For car navigation system updates, the car company or your local dealer should be able to help you.

Guess we'll have to wait for that one too. At least all my old CD's are picked up :D

July of last year? Why in the world would it take 8 months to get a map update? Nothing like buying a car with old map data.