Sign in to follow this  
Howie411

Home-Link/Garage Opener

Anyone found a good home-link mod to add to their car? Would like something that small and doesn't look out of place.

Anyone found a good home-link mod to add to their car? Would like something that small and doesn't look out of place.

Howie411

I agree Ford dropped the ball on this one. The car has just about everything in it with the 502a package but that. Why did they leave it out, I don't know.

What I did was really easy and it works great. I took the remote that came with my garage door opener. You know the ugly thing that attaches to the visor. Well I took that and removed the back clip off of mine and attached a piece of velcro to it. Then on the driver side door pocket just behind the cup holder I attached the other piece of velcro. This one on the inside of the pocket closer to the seat.

You can barely see it in the pocket because there is a little lip at the top of the pocket. Now all I do is slip my hand down beside the seat and push the button when I need to go in or out of the garage. Works wonders and it didn't cost anything but a small peice of velcro. Well that was a left over for me from another project.

No ugly thing on the visor anymore that falls down.

I can take pictures of it if you like. Let me know.

I tried putting it in the coin holder slot but that was a pain to open the draw and close it every time. Plus my remote didn't fit just right in there either.

TAZZBOO

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like. I'm pretty baffled by why ford didn't add it too, what could it really cost an extra $20?

Sorry everybody. It took me way longer than I was expecting to get to this. Pictures that is of the remote garage door opener placed in the door pocket.

Hope this helps some of you out there with another option for not having the Homelink.

Tazzboo

post-5013-126627988858_thumb.jpg

post-5013-126627989627_thumb.jpg

post-5013-126627990406_thumb.jpg

post-5013-126627991152_thumb.jpg

I agree with all that the lack of a built in garage door opener is a bummer. A step down from my 2000 Ford Explorer, Eddie Baurer version that I traded in as a clunker, simply due to mileage (189K), not any other product shortfall. It had 3 garage door buttons in the sun visor. Anyway, I bought the one below for my motor scooter, and it comes in real handy, for all 3 garage doors. It is small enough to hang on a key chain. I have had it 3 years and the original button battery is still good, and it has a better range than my larger opener remotes.

Genie model GMI-3BL.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5469763

$22.75 plus $5.95 shipping, USA

Awesome thanks, I just ended up ordering a Linear MCT-3, I'll figure out what I'll do with it after I try it out.

Auto trim shop in Kansas will install 3 button homelink in your visor. All you do is take the driver side visor off your car, send it to them, and about a week later it comes back with the homelink installed--looks just like the Lincoln version of the Fusion that comes from the factory. Works perfectly--about $275.00.

The trim shop is:

G&J Auto Trim Shop

415 South Kansas Ave.

Olathe Ks 66061

phone:(913)782-7642

fax:(913)780-3956

Ask for Gary-I believe he is the owner.

The homelink and install was $245 plus $10.00 shipping and $19.51 tax for total of $274.51

Web site: http://gandjautotrim.com/

I will try and get picture posted later today.

I thought the same about FFH not accommodating a garage door opener somewhere. I found a use for that little drawer to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. With a 95 cent momentary push button from Radio Shack and about five minutes work, I put the garage door opener in the drawer and the push button on the face of the drawer. It’s easy to reach, even in the dark I can find it and works great. If you are afraid it will spoil the resale value, just buy another drawer insert from Ford and exchange it for the modified one before you sell the car.

post-4466-126662282881_thumb.jpg

I thought the same about FFH not accommodating a garage door opener somewhere. I found a use for that little drawer to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. With a 95 cent momentary push button from Radio Shack and about five minutes work, I put the garage door opener in the drawer and the push button on the face of the drawer. It’s easy to reach, even in the dark I can find it and works great. If you are afraid it will spoil the resale value, just buy another drawer insert from Ford and exchange it for the modified one before you sell the car.

post-4466-126662282881_thumb.jpg

Ingenious! Good job. :beerchug:

The Flex has it, but the Fusion doesn't. Weird. Eventually I will get one off Ebay and just install it myself. I was at CAS yesterday checking out the Lincoln MKZ, not much difference at all compared to the Sport. They do in fact have a sport edition MKZ now, the base and Sport edition, the interior is slightly different in the Sport package, a little more bolsters, and white piping. Sport suspension, and different wheels/tires. $43K for it. I liked my Sport better.