Davis Adams

Consumer Reports advises of free brake system software fix for 2010!

I wonder if this is the solution to the brake problem rather than the harness rewiring of the earlier TSB?

Wonder why Ford did this in the middle of Toyota's nightmare, are they (FOMOCO) trying to solve an ongoing issue or do they know there is blood in the water & the sharks are circling so why not push out an update and hope for some good PR ?

Edited by rfruth

It might be because the social parasites(trial lawyers) are getting ready to have a feeding frenzy at the expense of Toyota. My understanding is that this issue was discovered and publicized by Consumer Reports of all publications. My guess is that Ford wants to simply nip this at the bud, and just get it taken care of before the media decide to blow yet another issue out of proportion. Ford has already stated that this is a software issue, and at no point are you without brakes. I have not had this issue at all, and I probably will not go to the dealer to get this new calibration unless I have to go for something else in the future(such as my free oil changes).

It's not something you want to hear, but it doesn't sound that serious either. Until a fix can be had, just be aware that the brakes will still work if the situation ever arises; you may just have to press down harder. I've had my FFH since last April and have never had any issue with the brakes. Glad to see Ford is being proactive and promptly issuing a fix, rather than waiting years to admit that a problem exists.

[edit - haha akirby, well I did type that at 2am :). Fixed. ].

Edited by cchaos

This has been a tough driving Winter here in Minnesota. We have had ice, snow, warm, sleet, ice, snow, rinse, repeat. I traded in a giant 4WD Expedition for the FFH. I had been worrying about Winter but I have been very pleasantly surprised. The traction control is very good considering the complexities of the mixed drive train. The braking has also been better than I expected. The slush and water performance is great especially considering the low RR tires. I think Ford has done a great job and I'm happy to see them doing some tuning where they feel it is needed.

Jon

Another case of exaggerating the headline to get people to read the article-----

"While the vehicles maintain full braking capability, customers may initially perceive the condition as loss of brakes"

If the regenerative braking does not engage, press harder on the brake pedal - it just feels different. Your regular brakes still operate.

question, is it true the less a vehicle weighs the more likely you are to experience this or am I all wet ? (no problem here)

Ford does this amid the Toyota meltdown in hopes the Ford problems pale in comparison to Toyotas (which it does) and doesnt tarninsh the FFH as badly as it might or could. One thing about Toyota, you can bet the ranch that Toyota will be a high quality car to buy once again in the near future. One photo of the CEO of Toyota "bowing" was enough to convince me of that. 2011 Toyotas will be top quality. Car Companies are all the same though and they live in denial until the economics of a repair or recall make it the right route to pursue financially. Whatever hurts them less is what they do, regardless of injury to the buyers / owners / drivers. Thats one thing the Japanese have learned well from the American Car Companys.

Edited by Rodeo

I have to say that this was fast! My dealer just called me this morning at 8:25am to notify me of the software update to address this issue with the brakes. I told him that i'll come in at some point, but likely not until I come in for my free oil change. At no time are you ever without brakes, and i'll just make sure i'm ready to slam the brakes in case this ever happens to me.

I have to say that this was fast! My dealer just called me this morning at 8:25am to notify me of the software update to address this issue with the brakes. I told him that i'll come in at some point, but likely not until I come in for my free oil change. At no time are you ever without brakes, and i'll just make sure i'm ready to slam the brakes in case this ever happens to me.

Wow that's impressive. Sounds like you have a pretty good dealer. I'll probably wait until the summer. Maybe they can do other updates to the system while I'm there.

Honestly I can't tell from "feel" which brakes are in use at any given time, but just over the last couple of days I did notice instances where I was braking but not seeing the indication that the battery was charging. Is this the issue they're talking about? I've just had my 6 month maintenance and everything has been fine. However, I have had brake squeaking almost since the beginning.

Honestly I can't tell from "feel" which brakes are in use at any given time, but just over the last couple of days I did notice instances where I was braking but not seeing the indication that the battery was charging. Is this the issue they're talking about? I've just had my 6 month maintenance and everything has been fine. However, I have had brake squeaking almost since the beginning.

Mine does that when it is very cold out and the car hasn't warmed up. But once I driven a few miles the indication of battery charging while braking reappears. I hope this is normal.

Mine does that when it is very cold out and the car hasn't warmed up. But once I driven a few miles the indication of battery charging while braking reappears. I hope this is normal.

DaveM.. I've experienced the exact same thing. When it's cold out (in Canada it's always cold in winter :D) , the regen braking just doesn't kick in for the first block or so of driving. When I apply the brakes it feels like straight friction pads. I never thought twice about it, but it always startles me, and no alarms have come on because of it.

Too add, nothing on www.myford.ca for a recall or customer satisfaction. I purchased my car in April and received in August.