Sign in to follow this  
junehhan

An interesting Automobilemag article on the Volt

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/reviews/1001_2011_chevrolet_volt_integration_vehicle/index.html

Here is an article that I think you guys might find interesting on what the future holds for these plug in hybrids that are coming out in a couple years. From the description of the automotive journalist, these new plug ins are starting to appear more like normal hybrids than ever before.

Not sure I totally agree Junehhan. Reason is the gasoline motor in the Chevrolet Volt does not power the wheels. It is only there as a generator to keep electricity in the batteries under demand. That will always be the key difference between an Electric Vehicle and a Hybrid. The power to get the car up to 92mph as described, all came from the Electric Motor, which gets it's power from the batteries, which in turn where being charged by the 4cyl. Plus once you get home you can plug it in and have your batteries fully charged again, saving on gas.

I was more referring to how this journalist notes that the Volt will fire up it's ICE when you get heavy on the throttle pedal. Kind of like how our hybrids fire up the ICE when you move past that threshhold where it can't cut it in EV mode. I was also referring to how the Volt apparantly also tries to keep the battery pack within an optimal charge range like our hybrids do. I believe the journalist noted that it fires the ICE as necessary to keep the battery pack within 30-80% charge kind of like how i've noticed my battery pack staying between 40-100%. I am probably one of few hybrid owners that sees my battery pack charging all the way to 100% on a daily basis as I start the day by pulling out of the drive and going down a hill that forces me to use the brakes a lot.

I guess from what we were being told about the early Volt prototypes, I was expecting the Volt to basically exhaust its battery pack charge first achieving the predicted 30-40 miles before firing up the ICE to charge it.

I had originally debated the virtues the Volt vs. Fusion and decided, based on relatively limited information on the former to purchase the Ford product. The more I read about the Volt's drivetrain the less it seemed to fit my driving needs. (one way commute to work either 55 or 90 miles.) The Volt seems optimized for shorter commutes with the bulk of regeneration via electric plug.

And let's not ignore vanity: The unique look of Prius is a distinct selling point for many - the Volt was originally going to have an edgy and unique body. Apparently, and beneficially, aerodynamics trumped appearance and possibly a tiny advantage for GM.

I had originally debated the virtues the Volt vs. Fusion and decided, based on relatively limited information on the former to purchase the Ford product. The more I read about the Volt's drivetrain the less it seemed to fit my driving needs. (one way commute to work either 55 or 90 miles.) The Volt seems optimized for shorter commutes with the bulk of regeneration via electric plug.

And let's not ignore vanity: The unique look of Prius is a distinct selling point for many - the Volt was originally going to have an edgy and unique body. Apparently, and beneficially, aerodynamics trumped appearance and possibly a tiny advantage for GM.

"...The unique look of Prius is a distinct selling point for many -..." interesting point. I personally think the Prius is an ugly car. I put it in the same category as the Pontiac Aztek.

Dan

"...The unique look of Prius is a distinct selling point for many -..." interesting point. I personally think the Prius is an ugly car. I put it in the same category as the Pontiac Aztek.

Dan

Yes, they were separated at birth! One faded into obscurity, the other a cult favorite! :lol:

Dan

Keep in mind that a USAToday survey found that the #1 reason people bought the Pious was to "make a political statement." It is a nice car, but boy did it get hit hard by a 10 ton ugly stick. It still looks better than the new Honda Insight in my opinion, which obviously has gotten hit by a 12 ton ugly stick. During my search for a vehicle, I gave the Fusion Hybrid extra points because it actually looks and drives like a normal vehicle. For people to buy a car to make a politicial statement seems so wierd, as you buy a car for other good reasons. I don't care whether my vehicle makes a statement about me, and I feel that these people who litter their poor cars with bumper stickers need to be bitch slapped once or twice just for fun just to make sure they are doing it on their free will, and not because they are under the influence.

This is one reason that the "mileage" numbers for the Volt are so misleading. Their marketing says that it will go 40 miles on electric alone. What they should say is that it "could" go 40 miles if they allowed a pack to fully charge, then fully discharge, and force the ICE to stay off. The problem is that it will not be programmed this way. From the numbers out of GM it will travel up to about 16 miles after being allowed to charge off house power, then the ICE will kick in to keep a reasonable charge on the battery (this is assuming little regenerative braking for the trip in question - add 2 to 3 more with some stop and go). The ICE will also kick in during heavy acceleration. The ICE won't "charge" the battery so if you don't plug it in after 16 miles you will be completely on gas power with the battery being used to increase the available electric power under acceleration or load.

(see http://gm-volt.com/2007/08/29/latest-chevy-volt-battery-pack-and-generator-details-and-clarifications/ ) and work out the math.

Don't get me wrong though - I am very curious overall to see if a pure battery/generator/electric motor system can be much more efficient than a full hybrid. Once the initial battery "only" mileage is over what is the car going to get for mileage? Is there a penalty for hauling around a much heavier battery pack? What if you put a full hybrid drive train into the Volt chassis? Is this system better or worse than a plug-in full hybrid? Is this really any different?

What I would like to know is: If you plug the Volt in and let it charge up fully, how many gallons would it consume after a 100 mile trip city, then hwy.

Then you could make the calculation that matters:

FFH consumes per 100 miles city: 2.5 gal & 0KWH @ $2.59/Gal and .10/KWH = $6.475

FFH consumes per 100 miles hwy: 2.7 gal & 0KWH @ $2.59/Gal and .10/KWH = $6.993

Volt consumes per 100 miles city: ?? gal & ??KWH @ $2.59/Gal and .10/KWH = $?

Volt consumes per 100 miles hwy: ?? gal & ??KWH @ $2.59/Gal and .10/KWH = $?

Stating any type of pure mileage number for comparison is simply not possible. The test needs to be total cost over a large enough distance.

I was more referring to how this journalist notes that the Volt will fire up it's ICE when you get heavy on the throttle pedal. Kind of like how our hybrids fire up the ICE when you move past that threshhold where it can't cut it in EV mode. I was also referring to how the Volt apparantly also tries to keep the battery pack within an optimal charge range like our hybrids do. I believe the journalist noted that it fires the ICE as necessary to keep the battery pack within 30-80% charge kind of like how i've noticed my battery pack staying between 40-100%. I am probably one of few hybrid owners that sees my battery pack charging all the way to 100% on a daily basis as I start the day by pulling out of the drive and going down a hill that forces me to use the brakes a lot.

I guess from what we were being told about the early Volt prototypes, I was expecting the Volt to basically exhaust its battery pack charge first achieving the predicted 30-40 miles before firing up the ICE to charge it.

Yes, but it's unique and instantly recognizable and to some hybrid buyers that's very important. Look at me - I'm driving a hybrid!

That's not the case with FFH buyers.

Agreed, but probably not as much today as when it first came out.

Driving home tonight I see a Hummer with what looks like the Hybrid medalion from a FFH on it's back door. Now maybe there is a hybrid Hummer but I've never heard of it. I guess he's making a statement too!

Dan