noreast

Using 16" wheels instead of 17", comments?

I just ordered a 2010 Fusion SEL I4. By law we are required to install winter tires in here Quebec. The size is 225/50-17, but these babies cost an arm and a leg a piece. I am thinking of buying 16" steel wheels and installing 205/60-16 tires on them. The difference in price per tire almost covers the cost of the wheel, which is a bonus since I can spare the original wheels from the insults of winter driving.

The circumference difference between the two tires is about 14mm, so it is negligible (I did the math and using 206/60-16 amounts to 3 extra revolutions per Kilometer, or the equivalent of driving an extra 30Km per year). I am not therefore concerned about the difference in circumference, but more concerned about the narrower contact area 205 vs. 225).

For snow and slush driving this is an advantage since narrower tires dig deeper and get more traction. But when the city clears the snow, it is back to dry pavement. Should I be concerned about this? Will it affect dry-surface braking?

If the 16" wheels will clear your brake calipers, I think you are ok. I guess this would be called "minus sizing". Make sure there is more than 1/2" clearance with your 17's between the inside of the rim and the brake components. You will loose at least a half inch with 16's. Do a trial fit before you commit to purchase.

Tread design will be more critical than tread width - get snows?????

Just looked and the I4 S series has 16's, so they should clear the calipers.

Thanks Grey, There is no reason why brake calipers should be different sizes between S and SEL, right?

And yes, checked the specs at Ford's website, the S comes with 205/60H16. I should've checked before posting!!!

The dealership is preping my new AWD vehicle and will be mounting winter tires on my 16" rims... Many ford models accept 16" rims with 17" summer rims.

I paid about $550.00 for 4 winters. They added it to their ZERO % financing...

I just ordered a 2010 Fusion SEL I4. By law we are required to install winter tires in here Quebec. The size is 225/50-17, but these babies cost an arm and a leg a piece. I am thinking of buying 16" steel wheels and installing 205/60-16 tires on them. The difference in price per tire almost covers the cost of the wheel, which is a bonus since I can spare the original wheels from the insults of winter driving.

The circumference difference between the two tires is about 14mm, so it is negligible (I did the math and using 206/60-16 amounts to 3 extra revolutions per Kilometer, or the equivalent of driving an extra 30Km per year). I am not therefore concerned about the difference in circumference, but more concerned about the narrower contact area 205 vs. 225).

For snow and slush driving this is an advantage since narrower tires dig deeper and get more traction. But when the city clears the snow, it is back to dry pavement. Should I be concerned about this? Will it affect dry-surface braking?

I just ordered a 2010 Fusion SEL I4.

I'm glad this topic came up. I live on a two mile long gravel road that is notoriously bad for cars and their tires. Used not be bad, just that all cars today have low profile tires. Prior to the popularity of low profile tires, this road really was no problem. Pickups and 1980s era and earlier cars have no issues.

Rocks bruise the sidewalls and eventually, a bruise will cause a small leak. If a car has a low rolling resistance tire, then the issue is worse since the the LRR tires have such thin sidewalls. I have already replaced a tire on my Fusion Hybrid, in spite of careful driving and no hard hits on rocks.

If I lose one more tire, I think I'll be converting to 16" wheels. After digging around on Tirerack, I did some pricing, found the tires I need, and searched for lightweight wheels, with the idea that i don't want to penalize the fuel savings that I get with the Hybrid. Discovered wheels vary in weight from 13 pounds to 25 pounds each. Anyway, this is all just in the homework stage. This is a good thread!

Edited by lrymal

My 2007 AWD comes factory equipped with 225 50 17 tires. Last fall I instaled 205 60 16 tires on new steel wheels. No problems what so ever. This -1 size for winter is the way to go, for the reasons you already mentionned.

Edited by twiggy144

The factory 16in tires on the Fusion are much lower rolling resistance then the 17in tires on the Hybrid. In fact, the Hybrid tires aren't that low RR at all, they are the same tires that have been used on the MKZ/Zephyr since 2006. The wheels aren't particularly lightweight either, they are 24 or 25lbs each. So don't sweat the details, except for the load rating. Make sure you get a tire that is rated at least a 93 since the Hybrid does weigh more than the base Fusion.

The tires on mine are the Energy MXV4 S8 and their descriptor at TireRack claims they meet the Mich standards for LRR. And that, plus a cup of java shows how much I know. There is the green X thing stamped on them. Anyway.... what brand are the factory 16" tires? TireRack mentions a Goodyear LRR tire.

Good comment about the tire load rating. I didn't think of that.

Edited by lrymal

I purchased tires and rims with TPMS installed from Tire Rack, 16 x 7.5 rims and Continental 205/60R16 tires. The Fusion had no issues what so ever with the 16", Tire Rack recommends 16" winter tires. I recently totaled the car in a 45 mph near head-on collision, the air bags did not deploy. So now I have a set of stock summer 17" tires and rims. I started checking and they are ~$3500 to buy a set, $772 just for the 4 tires. Craigslist here I come!